What Sadistic bag of CRAP did the Vacuum cap !!!!! - SV1000 Portal
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
What Sadistic bag of CRAP did the Vacuum cap !!!!!

I am going to balance the throttle bodies but would like to know... what sadist put that vacuum cap on that front throttle nipple, I have been cursing for the past 30 minutes and am no closer to getting it off, my hands must be too big.

I read that I don't have to take the air box off at this stage and that it is accessible by running my hand through the right hand side of the bike, yeah well that ain't working!!!!!!!!!

Anybody devised a trick to this job?

Can't fit needle nose pliers in there either.

Frustrating is not a word that describes this job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 02:47 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
It's likely that the rubber cap has adhered to the metal. I destroyed mine when I pulled them off. No biggie though since I left extension tubing in place and capped the ends of those off.
Missing Link likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Two of my favorite posts here on the SV Portal are by Chainsaw Willie!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
It's likely that the rubber cap has adhered to the metal. I destroyed mine when I pulled them off. No biggie though since I left extension tubing in place and capped the ends of those off.
It's that butterfly clip that is causing the problem

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
If I can't take it off leave it on, I pushed the butterfly clip forward so that it is off the rubber cap and yes it now appears that the cap is indeed stuck to the nipple... oh the pain!!!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 03:13 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Ah, I used some long, curved needle nosed pliers for the spring clips but then had to rip off the rubber covers.

and
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Ah, I used some long, curved needle nosed pliers for the spring clips but then had to rip off the rubber covers.
I didn't have anything that fine just a standard pair suitable only for gorilla hands. Anyway, phase one done.

To get the butterfly clip off I had to put my hand in palm facing up then I had more grip and leverage. I then pushed the clip off the rubber towards the front of the bike so it went onto the metal nipple then it was brute force pulling the rubber cap off the nipple.

I got my 4mm tube (thank you missing link) pushed all the way onto the nipple and put a plastic cable tie on it to hold it in place.

The rear nipple was a lot easier to get to and I used the cable tie routine again.

I trimmed the hoses down and sealed the ends with vacumm connector caps and cable tied those as well just to be that bit more secure.

Next phase of the nightmare is making a manometer.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 05:00 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze View Post
I am going to balance the throttle bodies but would like to know... what sadist put that vacuum cap on that front throttle nipple, I have been cursing for the past 30 minutes and am no closer to getting it off, my hands must be too big.

I read that I don't have to take the air box off at this stage and that it is accessible by running my hand through the right hand side of the bike, yeah well that ain't working!!!!!!!!!

Anybody devised a trick to this job?

Can't fit needle nose pliers in there either.

Frustrating is not a word that describes this job.

Just pop the air box out and use a long skinny flat blade you can thread in from above. Or just pop the throttle bodies out, it only take a couple of minutes to do both.

I just did a sync for someone on a bike they built a home made sync set up for. Their set up was terrible from some web guide. I looked at the site and saw why it didnít work. The design was crap and the results the owner got were terrible.

Please make sure the design for a home made unit is sound.

-ms

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Just pop the air box out and use a long skinny flat blade you can thread in from above. Or just pop the throttle bodies out, it only take a couple of minutes to do both.

I just did a sync for someone on a bike they built a home made sync set up for. Their set up was terrible from some web guide. I looked at the site and saw why it didnít work. The design was crap and the results the owner got were terrible.

Please make sure the design for a home made unit is sound.

-ms
Do you have a particular design that you favour?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 06:22 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze View Post

I have an old school Suzuki steel ball brass unit or a MotionPro SyncPro.

-ms

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 11:07 AM
Bike curious

♂ United States
Springfield, MOFO
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze

You can build your own: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/317134-post33.html

Considering it's very low cost, it's not as easy to read as a commercially available tool. But if you're patient, you can achieve excellent results.

and
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th March 2020, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
You can build your own: https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/317134-post33.html

Considering it's very low cost, it's not as easy to read as a commercially available tool. But if you're patient, you can achieve excellent results.
Thanks for the page, I did see that one as I was scanning the site, if a secondhand wiz bang one for next to nothing I would get it but right now I am leaning towards one like yours, I already have the wood, the tubing and the transmission fuel so next day when I am feeling keen I will put one together and see how it goes.

Thanks
oldbaldsob likes this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th March 2020, 01:38 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Like was said earlier, leave the hoses in place on the throttle bodies and blank them with something suitable....5mm screw....

I did that with mine 12 years ago, they are still there....
oldbaldsob likes this.

One owner..... 300,000kms and counting... yes, that much..........

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th March 2020, 03:18 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Like was said earlier, leave the hoses in place on the throttle bodies and blank them with something suitable....5mm screw....

I did that with mine 12 years ago, they are still there....

I like to use Yamaha part number 5PW-14251-10-00 to block off vac hoses. These are quite handy. With one, you can plug a hose onto either end and join them together and they both get blocked off.

-ms

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th March 2020, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
I like to use Yamaha part number 5PW-14251-10-00 to block off vac hoses. These are quite handy. With one, you can plug a hose onto either end and join them together and they both get blocked off.

-ms
I found a similar thing at Bunnings, our local hardware store seems to fit very snugly
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 14th March 2020, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ Australia
Sydney Australia
Phase 2 completed... Built my manometer this morning, pretty straight forward, hooked it up to the bike and gave it a try out and the throttle bodies are way out of alignment. The weather here in Sydney today is a little cyclonic today so I when the wind has died down I will attempt phase 3... synching the bodies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in