• 2 Post By tzk321

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ New Zealand
Invercargill, New Zealand
Garage
Smile seat height

anyone know the best way to lower the bike without affecting the handling too much, if it improves the handling,even better, just need to lower the seat height a bit, at my age it's getting harder to throw the leg over

You are exceeding the limitations of my medication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 05:35 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Australia
Downunder
Let the air out of tyres.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 05:36 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFinlo Quayle View Post
anyone know the best way to lower the bike without affecting the handling too much, if it improves the handling,even better, just need to lower the seat height a bit, at my age it's getting harder to throw the leg over

What year? S model or naked?
-ms
FFinlo Quayle likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ New Zealand
Garage
sorry,forgot about that, K3 S model

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 08:06 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFinlo Quayle View Post
sorry,forgot about that, K3 S model

You can shave a bunch out the 03S seats or find the accessory low seat for on.

If you want to get really invasive you can use the later model subframe, side panels, and knock a couple of dents in the tank and remount exhaust. That set up with a shaved seat is a bunch lower.

-ms

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 02:04 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
The easiest methods would be to modify the seat and either wear boots with a thick sole or get your boots customized. There are shoe repair shops that can do this for you.

As mentioned already you could try to find all of the necessary parts to change your '03 S to one of the other years which has a lower seat. I'm sure it could be done but it would be expensive

Another option is to get lowering links for the rear shock. This has some drawbacks as well but depending on how much lower you want the bike and how much you're willing to spend it might be worth it.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 06:29 PM
Crazy Old Foole

♂ United States
Backside of Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzk321 View Post
Another option is to get lowering links for the rear shock. This has some drawbacks as well but depending on how much lower you want the bike and how much you're willing to spend it might be worth it.
This is without doubt the worst approach. It significantly screws up leverage against the rear shock, and makes calculating the proper spring rate nearly impossible. And that's not to mention that physically lowering the entire bike costs you valuable cornering clearance.

99% Of Liberals
Give The Rest A Bad Name

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal
So Suck It Up Buttercup!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 09:28 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Here's an old MC Garage video that has a lot of the same information.

Big Dave and FFinlo Quayle like this.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2020, 10:01 PM
Scooter boy

Agree, lowering links option is sucks , that was first thing i done when i got my SV1K3 to raise it, felt low first time i got on it after i bought it, it even bent my licence plate when i had passenger, handeling was bad too...dont regret it to put it back to stock hight...love it....but you wanna go lower..i would shave the seat foam...electric kitchen knife is best tool for that job, also as other fellas here mentioned...use later model subframe....
Anyway where in NZ are you? I used to had time to hang in NZ South Island Christchurch when i was working in Antarctica...it was stop on my way down....good beer + chips...and bunch of bikes...had even chance to sit on Britten once where they had them on street in downtown
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th April 2020, 02:26 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ United States
San Francisco East bay
Find a used seat (make sure it is for the '03) and then you can mess with it. If you shave too much you will feel the seat pan btw. It would be better to bring it to an auto upholstery place, they can replace the foam with a denser material.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 19th April 2020, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ New Zealand
Garage
thanks for the video,was a great watch, I've got no problem riding the bike and putting the foot down when I stop, it's just getting on and off the bike I struggle with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in