Fuel filter - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Moped rider

♂ New Zealand
Garage
Fuel filter

My bike at low speeds has been surging, even at idle it was slightly erratic I had a guess it might have been fuel filter, bit surprised at the crud at the bottom of the pump housing, mostly a rusty paste. I've had the housing soaking in evaporate to clean it up, was thinking about sealing the bottom with a tank sealer to stop any further rusting. With a new filter in I'm looking forward to a clean ride again. Bike is nearly 95000klm is it common for the housing to rust like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1850~2_1604050638348.jpg (469.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg _20201030_223600_1604050657410.jpg (287.9 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 09:14 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
My bike at low speeds has been surging, even at idle it was slightly erratic I had a guess it might have been fuel filter, bit surprised at the crud at the bottom of the pump housing, mostly a rusty paste. I've had the housing soaking in evaporate to clean it up, was thinking about sealing the bottom with a tank sealer to stop any further rusting. With a new filter in I'm looking forward to a clean ride again. Bike is nearly 95000klm is it common for the housing to rust like this?
Looks normal to me. At least this was the condition of my lower pump housing when I cleaned it for the first time. Same mileage. I don't think it will ever rust because this part is at the lower spot of the tank and thus always in gas. But you could sand it down and spray it with something resistant to gas.

I am afraid that the high pressure filter (filter inside the pump housing) is clogged by now. The low pressure filter can be easily cleaned or even replaced. Should be cheap.

For the high pressure filter there are 3 solutions:

1. Buy new pump (very expensive)
2. Try to clean the internal filter using an ultrasonic cleaner
3. Do the filter bypass and you fix the issue once and for all. Lots of information about this on the forum. Just search for filter bypass.

George Philos
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 30th October 2020, 11:17 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphilos View Post
Looks normal to me. At least this was the condition of my lower pump housing when I cleaned it for the first time. Same mileage. I don't think it will ever rust because this part is at the lower spot of the tank and thus always in gas. But you could sand it down and spray it with something resistant to gas.

I am afraid that the high pressure filter (filter inside the pump housing) is clogged by now. The low pressure filter can be easily cleaned or even replaced. Should be cheap.

3. Do the filter bypass and you fix the issue once and for all. Lots of information about this on the forum. Just search for filter bypass.

Why would you need to buy a new pump, you can just buy the high pressure filter module with regulator as an assembly.
-ms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 31st October 2020, 06:12 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt314 View Post
Quote:

Why would you need to buy a new pump, you can just buy the high pressure filter module with regulator as an assembly.
-ms
Yes I didn't state that correctly, i meant a new assembly, the plastic piece, no pump motor is required. But yet it's expensive.

George Philos
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2020, 12:44 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The filter can be back-flushed if you can sort out some way of pressurising a fuel system cleaner fluid.....you will be shocked how much crap comes out.....

Mine was so bad originally that i had to get the injectors cleaned professionally....the guy said they were squirting and it took some time to get them to run free...then he couldn't believe whole well they flowed.....had a lot of carbon build up in my combustion chambers that slowly burnt out and big improve in power

Or, there is a fuel filter bypass thread on here that shows you how to install an external and significantly cheaper canister filter, best one because of size is a Mahle KL145 or Mann MWK44....

These are only 50mm diameter.........

I have planned to do this for some time, but just haven't got around to it......

One owner..... 311,000kms and counting...

2003 Copper SV1000S
Repainted Ford PE (Petroleum Mica)
Yoshi 2:1 collectors and Arrow titanium can...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2020, 01:21 PM
Scooter boy

♂ United Kingdom
North East England
I've recently replace a fuel filter on my 12 years old VStrom 1000 (it wasn't in bad condition) , they are cheap to buy on line. there are also a few videos to help doing this on UTube.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2020, 09:11 PM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
The plastic mesh strainer is easily cleaned.....and just give the sump of the pump base a good clean...

As far as scottishbloke saying the filter is cheap online, what sort of money ? And where ? Fowlers in the UK quote around 230 pound for 03-05 and 380 pound for an 06 up one...

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 4th November 2020, 06:16 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Here is my configuration using a Mann filter. I went crazy and installed a heat shield on top of the fuel hose.

I believe the filter bypass is the best long term solution. You can easily change the filter once in a while and assure that you always have a clean filter.

IMHO, I don't find any negatives with this solution. You just need to use the correct hose type, quality made clamps and a good filter.

Ps. In the pic you can see my newly installed 54mm throttle bodies 😄
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201003_184918_1604513622900.jpg (312.5 KB, 33 views)

George Philos
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 4th November 2020, 11:24 PM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Here is my configuration using a Mann filter. I went crazy and installed a heat shield on top of the fuel hose.

I believe the filter bypass is the best long term solution. You can easily change the filter once in a while and assure that you always have a clean filter.

IMHO, I don't find any negatives with this solution. You just need to use the correct hose type, quality made clamps and a good filter.

And you swapped manifolds or modified your current ones so they do not restrict the 54mm units? 54mm units on 03/04 manifolds can have a tiny bit of over hang into the larger bore throttle body. I always modify or swap manifolds when converting.

Did you also make note of the vacuum aperture size delta on the vacuum nipples?

-ms

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 5th November 2020, 02:47 AM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:

Thats what i want to do on mine......

What would be really cool, would be to be able to mount the filter inside the tank, but, the regulator needs to get its feed from the housing
of the OEM filter, and the fuel light thermistor needs to remain.... ( i dream out loud sometimes.....)

2003 Copper SV1000S
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 6th November 2020, 03:31 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Quote:
Quote:

And you swapped manifolds or modified your current ones so they do not restrict the 54mm units? 54mm units on 03/04 manifolds can have a tiny bit of over hang into the larger bore throttle body. I always modify or swap manifolds when converting.

Did you also make note of the vacuum aperture size delta on the vacuum nipples?

-ms

I didn't bother with swapping or modifying the manifolds.. From the measurements I got, the difference is really small so it should not noticeably affect performance I think. Unless you think I should do so. If yes how do you modify them and maintain a smooth surface?

Regarding the second point, I am not sure what you mean. If I remember correctly I reused my existing vacuum lines (from the old throttle bodies) since my 03 uses only one IAP sensor. Are the vacuum lines of different diameter? Should I have used the vacuum lines of the newer bodies?

George Philos
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 6th November 2020, 07:43 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ Greece
Ioannina
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
Quote:

What would be really cool, would be to be able to mount the filter inside the tank, but, the regulator needs to get its feed from the housing
of the OEM filter, and the fuel light thermistor needs to remain.... ( i dream out loud sometimes.....)
I guess you could think about
fabricating something to hold the pump regulator and thermistor, but for me it doesn't worth the effort.

George Philos
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th November 2020, 10:37 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post

You mean like earlier Suzuki fuel injected bikes. They had replaceable filters in the tanks.

-ms

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 7th November 2020, 04:29 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Enterprise, Al, USA
Sorry, replied to wrong thread*
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 8th November 2020, 09:58 PM
Disturbed, very...

♂ Australia
Queensland, Orstraylya
Garage
Quote:
You mean like earlier Suzuki fuel injected bikes. They had replaceable filters in the tanks.

-ms
Yeah, more conventional types of filters...... me thinks that designers/engineers try to get too cute with stuff sometimes....mind yoiu, they dont care, its not like they
have to fix/maintain/pay with these things......

2003 Copper SV1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in