SV Portal Forums banner

Spanked by a DL-1000

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  evssv 
#1 ·
I woke up nice and early to ride my local back roads with my buddies. For those in the bay area it was the traditional Mines Rd to Patterson and back over Mt. Hamilton.

Mines is a narrow, treacherous, bumpy road - but it's still a ton of fun. However, the road to Patterson is where I really enjoy my SV when the road gets somewhat smoother. Among my buddies this is the road where I'm the "master" - it's not easy to keep up with me, especially after I learned a lot at the racetrack running in the A group.

Anyway, at the Junction we stop for a breather and we see a DL-1000 Strom pull in. The man, in relatively used leathers that may have seen asphalt, takes off his helmet to reveal a 40ish year old face and balding head. He's a big guy... anyway, I take a look at his tires (one my my visual cues to someone's riding ability), and I see no chicken strips anywhere, front or rear. I can't remember what tires they were, but I swear the fronts looked just like Michelin Macadam A50 tires.

Off I go with my buddies to Patterson, leaving the Strom parked at the junction. We have a good pace... I'm at about 75% of my top speed. Halfway to Patterson we're buzzed by a motorcycle - I almost jumped out of my seat it was so unexpected. It was the DL-1000, a complete missile. The rider gives us the peace sign and buggers on.

I give chase, upping to 95% of my top speed. Adrenaline just spiked sky high and the race is on :devil2:. No way will I, the "master", be buggered by a freaking enduro-bike on my road!! I'm on his tail, full concentration on not crashing while dealing with the many bumps and holes on this road. One one particularly bumpy corner between two very close left->right handers the Strommer pulls up into a full stand-up wheelie :surprise: before dropping it down just in time to sweep full speed into the corner.

That sight did me in :pistols:... I realized the strommer was just on his weekend stroll, while I was racing to within the edges of my abilities. I stayed with him for a few more turns at which point he zinged past a car and I called it quits for safety's sake...

What did that leave me with? Actually, it left me quite happy. Happy to be rightfully placed back onto an enjoyable weekend ride, out not to kill myself, and to realize that I have years more of learning to get better, possibly faster, on a bike... on any bike, even a freaking wobbly, heavy enduro with crap touring tires on. It really is the rider that makes the ride.

Sometimes it's good to get a good :spank:

:beer:

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been in the same situation and you made the right choice. I've spanked many a super bikes and been laid low by a guy on a seca that could use it to it's full ability. Street riding we should never be more than 60 percent of our ability. Sometimes we get stupid and push it,hopefully we live through it.

#4 ·
that dude on the seca was probably my dad or his friend. I remember when I was still learning, a bmw M3 passed my in some twisties out of nowhere. Then my dad on his seca made him look silly :|

ability on a 40 hp bike can outperform a "new" guy on a 180hp gixxer :|

#5 ·
Oh yes....we feel fast....then we feel a bit emasculated but maturity (if we're lucky) kicks in and we just enjoy our OWN ride.

First time to Laguna on my SV (2004) our group met up with a few guys we met off this site. They are no longer on here(on the site...not planet). Anyway, they were older dudes...one around 50ish and the other in his 60's. We thought we'd have to take it easy on these guys.....but uh, they basically SPANKED us. One of our guys was on a CBR929 and a very good rider and he was in awe.

A great rider on a decent bike will always be faster in the twists than a mediocre rider on a Ducati 1098.

Speaking of Seca. When I rode that on Angeles Crest late 80's I was schooled by a 1200 Sportster!!:nutkick:

#6 ·
You know, this thread just reminds me of the type of members that we have here on this site. Mature (in emotions, not necessarily age), sensible riders in general.

Typically, on other forums, a thread like this one would never emerge. Everyone would feel completely ensconced in knowing the they are untouchable on their bikes. They could blow anything away either with the raw power of their modified machines or knowing that they're destined to fill Rossi's shoes, they can straighten out the twistiest of roads faster than anyone on this planet, other than Rossi of course.

I would like to admit that I was enjoying a cruise up through a favourite stretch of twisties when I see a behemoth in my mirrors. It's a two lane road so I figure I'll better wick up the pace to keep him from riding my ass. It shouldn't be a problem as it a big lug of a machine, it filled up the mirrors completely! I think it was either a Goldwing (coulda been a FJR or ST) so I should be able to easily open up a gap.

Freaking guy was as large in my mirrors as before, so I step it up a bit but nada, he just wouldn't go away for Chrissakes!!

Finally, I admitted defeat and pulled over so he could pass and enjoy his ride and I could enjoy mine without this looming presence behind me.

#12 ·
You know, this thread just reminds me of the type of members that we have here on this site. Mature (in emotions, not necessarily age), sensible riders in general.

Typically, on other forums, a thread like this one would never emerge. Everyone would feel completely ensconced in knowing the they are untouchable on their bikes. They could blow anything away either with the raw power of their modified machines or knowing that they're destined to fill Rossi's shoes, they can straighten out the twistiest of roads faster than anyone on this planet, other than Rossi of course.

I would like to admit that I was enjoying a cruise up through a favourite stretch of twisties when I see a behemoth in my mirrors. It's a two lane road so I figure I'll better wick up the pace to keep him from riding my ass. It shouldn't be a problem as it a big lug of a machine, it filled up the mirrors completely! I think it was either a Goldwing (coulda been a FJR or ST) so I should be able to easily open up a gap.

Freaking guy was as large in my mirrors as before, so I step it up a bit but nada, he just wouldn't go away for Chrissakes!!

Finally, I admitted defeat and pulled over so he could pass and enjoy his ride and I could enjoy mine without this looming presence behind me.
I had this very thing happen to me today. A Goldwing with a pilot in shorts and a T-Shirt railing that thing around 90MPH in the corners. I waved him on as I felt like I left him and looked back and he was still on my butt. JSC humbly admitting defeat...:weeping:

#7 ·
Good on you to be mature enough not to push the bike past your riding
limits just not to get shamed by a 40 year old bald guy. I am almost
40 myself and used to ride a monster cruiser so I used to be that guy
that put young kids to shame on sport bikes, but when I went to the
Deals Gap Dragon, I was amazed how well some guys were just blowing
past me. I was still able to pass every single cruiser, but most of the sport
bikers were passing me pretty bad. Like yourself, I didn't try to go past
my limit and was able to go home in one piece.

#9 ·
Just to put some perspective on the story, I've seen Wwiddy ride the track in A group, and he is fast. I have no doubt it would turn out this guy on the strom was a pro.

#11 ·
Never discount a rider on a dual sport, those things handle effortlessly. I've embarrassed many a sport bike (not claiming to be the best, mind you) on my BMW R1100GS, a 550 lb tank w/ 80 hp at the crank w/ 70k showing on it,
And I'm 48 now.
Experience beats horsepower on a twisty road.

#13 ·
well guys im 50, the proud owner of the vstrom1000, and my 03 svs,both brilliant bikes but on bumpy roads with potholes to avoid i would take the vstrom to beat the sv any day the softer longer travel suspension,upright riding position,and extra weight just give it a real planted feel on those type of roads,im using metzeler tourance tires at the moment but standard it comes with bridgestone trailwings,both excellent grip tires with 8 to 10k tire life as well,on my sv i fitted recently dunlop d208rr as they were going cheap but i dont like them at all and i lost a bit of confidence on them after a little off i had recently on a small roundabout i dont think they work so good in cold conditions,so i will take it easy on the sv till i can get back on the pirellis,
steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.