Track Days - Information and Advice - Page 4 - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #46 of 127 (permalink) Old 27th March 2005, 03:30 PM
Highway Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Tim,

Any chance of scanning the Croft section of the MCN Circuit Guide for me? I'm heading back there for my first of the year - 7th April (there's still places if anyone's interested).

I've just re-read the advice and it's amasing how much sense it makes - especially the tools for tinkering bit. I've never been so popular as last time I went with a tank bag full of tools...

Cheers, Steve.

I hate British weather...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 127 (permalink) Old 27th March 2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Back for a bit.

♂ England
Buckhurst Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brugal
Tim,

Any chance of scanning the Croft section of the MCN Circuit Guide for me? I'm heading back there for my first of the year - 7th April (there's still places if anyone's interested).

I've just re-read the advice and it's amasing how much sense it makes - especially the tools for tinkering bit. I've never been so popular as last time I went with a tank bag full of tools...

Cheers, Steve.
Sure mate, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
....and PROUD!
post #48 of 127 (permalink) Old 31st March 2005, 03:20 PM
Hardcore Biker

♂ England
cheshunt
donnington track day 19th april

just a quick line to let you all know hottrax are doing donnington for a special price of 135quid on the 19th april im booked in for the inters , if any of you are up for it i will see you there or pm me and let me know, their booking line number is 08707669861 all the best steve......

post #49 of 127 (permalink) Old 1st April 2005, 09:24 AM
Highway Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russells Ride
just a quick line to let you all know hottrax are doing donnington for a special price of 135quid on the 19th april im booked in for the inters , if any of you are up for it i will see you there or pm me and let me know, their booking line number is 08707669861 all the best steve......
B*gger, I'm flying out on holiday that day...I want to do Donnington this year as well!

I hate British weather...
post #50 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 06:36 PM

Timbo, some excellent adivce on here for us virgins , just a couple of questions regarding the forthcoming track day?

Do most tracks allow 2 piece leathers that zip together?
Does the Lid have to have the gold stamp?
I heard that draining the coolent and re filling with water is a good idea, or is this complete bollox?
I am due a service ( over due ) and was gonna wait until after the track day. I s this advisable?
Any other bike set up adivce for a track day?

Cheers
Skins
post #51 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 06:51 PM
Big teeth-what big teeth?

♂ United Kingdom
Biggin Hill, Kent
Skins,

All trackdays allow two piece leathers, as long as they zip together.

Normally they expect the helmet to have an ACU sticker (that most makes have) but on the 6 track days I have done I have never seen them check any of the riders kit, including helmets.

That one about the coolant is a new one on me. I would leave it as standard, as any advantage is minimal plus you have the hassle of buggering about with coolant before and after the track day. I know loads of blokes who do track days and never heard of any of them doing this.

As for the service, if it was me I'd get it done before hand, so that you know the engine has nice and fresh oil and filter. The bike will get worked quite hard, and the service may throw up a number of things that you may not have thought of checking (i.e. coolant levels, amount of meat left on the brake pads etc) so I'd get it done before hand.

I'm more than happy to help out anyone on the day with setup advice and general tips. I'll be there with my bro, and we will be bringing a transit so will have tools and stuff like that so can help anyone that needs it.

One thing I do and so do many track day enthusiasts is to drop your front and rear tyre pressures a couple of PSI before you start. This is because the tyres get worked much harder than on the road and hence the air expands more as it gets hot. After that I would say generally ride the first session carefully on your standard road set up. Learn the track and build up the speed. Then start general tinkering with the suspension and stuff.

Hope this helps

David

Life's a bitch and then you die...
post #52 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyboy
Skins,

All trackdays allow two piece leathers, as long as they zip together.

Normally they expect the helmet to have an ACU sticker (that most makes have) but on the 6 track days I have done I have never seen them check any of the riders kit, including helmets.

That one about the coolant is a new one on me. I would leave it as standard, as any advantage is minimal plus you have the hassle of buggering about with coolant before and after the track day. I know loads of blokes who do track days and never heard of any of them doing this.

As for the service, if it was me I'd get it done before hand, so that you know the engine has nice and fresh oil and filter. The bike will get worked quite hard, and the service may throw up a number of things that you may not have thought of checking (i.e. coolant levels, amount of meat left on the brake pads etc) so I'd get it done before hand.

I'm more than happy to help out anyone on the day with setup advice and general tips. I'll be there with my bro, and we will be bringing a transit so will have tools and stuff like that so can help anyone that needs it.

One thing I do and so do many track day enthusiasts is to drop your front and rear tyre pressures a couple of PSI before you start. This is because the tyres get worked much harder than on the road and hence the air expands more as it gets hot. After that I would say generally ride the first session carefully on your standard road set up. Learn the track and build up the speed. Then start general tinkering with the suspension and stuff.

Hope this helps

David
Thanks Dave
Much appreciated, the bit about swapping the coolant for water i'm sure I read on here somwhere!!!
I'm soooooo looking forward to this trackday :supsmiley
post #53 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Back for a bit.

♂ England
Buckhurst Hill
Davis said it all to be honest, best thing is to drop the tyres down to 30 psi front and back (as California SBC recommend).

No idea about the coolant, I've not heard that one before, maybe Chainsaw could answer?

As for Llandow, you make sure all your kit is up to scratch and they leave you to it, it's a VERY relaxed day as for as 'rules and regs' go.

:supsmiley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
....and PROUD!
post #54 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Back for a bit.

♂ England
Buckhurst Hill
I've PM'd CW about this one...I see that he's replying to it as I type this. I have a feeling this is going to be a long 'un!

....and PROUD!
post #55 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 07:18 PM

Lot of tracks here want either distilled water or distilled water mixed with Water Wetter or another type of track approved lubricant/coolant. Most anti-freeze is like ICE on the track. I have had no problem keeping mine in on the track for some of the casual track days, but I know some of the track days will make you empty it, so might be a pain, but might help you pass Tech.
post #56 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 07:25 PM
Dynamic Chaos Technician

♂ United States
just a short walk away from Nike Site S-13/14
Track Day Coolant

Different places have different rules I am sure, so you will have to specifically ask the governing orginization about their specific rules.

Although I am a veteran of about 13 years of club racing, I have never done one of these non-competition Track Days. So the only input I can give you is my old-geezer-who-used-to-race crap, which might not apply.

In general, antifreeze is a big no-no at a race track. If it leaks it is slippery, and much more difficult to clean up than oil. Oil can be absorbed by Grease Sweep or Cement powder and cleaned up a bit, but Glycol and other Antifreezes just gunk up the absorbants and leave a slimy coating on the asphault that won't clean up with out water.

I know of no road racing orginization that allows antifreeze. I believe some allow Water Wetter, but for the most part only straight water is allowed in the cooling system.

I understand Track Days usually have a lower safety standard for Tech Inspections as it is geared towards run-what-you-brung street riders. So I imagine it is possible they may allow Antifreeze, but If I were to do a Track Day I would really hope the bike falling down 1/2 lap ahead of me is not dumping Glycol on the track surface!

So ultimately I do not answer the question. I just tell ya' the check with who ever is putting on the track day.

R.I.P. J.P. Patches

Once again I find myself trading my heros for ghosts.
Everyday it's getting harder and harder to tell blue skies from pain or a green field from a cold steel rail.

post #57 of 127 (permalink) Old 4th July 2005, 07:33 PM

Thanks guys, I dont think I will be doing it then unless told to do so.

Makes sense tho , just wish cars and lorries had to do so on the road
post #58 of 127 (permalink) Old 8th August 2005, 09:12 AM

Read about disconnecting the lights before running on the track. I've did that too with my first track day, although I had to cover the head- and taillights with tape as well. Disconnecting the lights is a very easy thing to do on the SV. Just pull of the connectors of the headlight (black connectors, located behind/underneath the display) and you're all set to go. No need to loosen or disconnect the fuse. The same can be done at the rear, where you'll only need to disconnect the white connector underneath the buddy seat. That way you'll also prevent the tape on the lights from becoming TOO sticky because of the heat of the lights.
post #59 of 127 (permalink) Old 20th September 2005, 06:50 PM
Forum whore

♂ United Kingdom
Weston Super Mare - UK
Garage
Tim, it's several months since I made a note to copy your tips and information to my website.........finally got round to doing it!!

www.SuzukiSV1000.com Safer Rider page

Tim, there're several useful posts by other guys....maybe you could compile these into one last section along the lines of 'Additional comments' or something?.....I just haven't got time.

Cheers
Andy

The thing about speed is that you can't catch the quick riders to ask them how they got so fast!
post #60 of 127 (permalink) Old 20th September 2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Back for a bit.

♂ England
Buckhurst Hill
Plagiarism...pure plagiarism.....

....and PROUD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in