7 days and counting! - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th May 2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Ohio
7 days and counting!

First track day coming up in 7 days!

Running novice class at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Ohio.

Been looking forward to this for 2 years now, glad it's finally taking place. Will be running with a friends wife and will have an excellent pit crew.

Of course any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th May 2012, 04:58 AM
Mmmm Kate

♂ United States
Los Angeles, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman002 View Post
First track day coming up in 7 days!

Running novice class at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Ohio.

Been looking forward to this for 2 years now, glad it's finally taking place. Will be running with a friends wife and will have an excellent pit crew.

Of course any advice is appreciated.
Make sure you get plenty of rest, keep hydrated, don't worry about being slow and just have fun!

Extra fuel, check your tyres for trackday pressures, if you haven't had your suspension set up for your weight do so if the service is offered, if they offer some one on one instruction then take it and keep a check on yourself if you get tired. I usually miss a session in the middle and save it for later in the day. A lot of people leave early and then you have more of the track to yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't have an English accent because this is what English sounds like when spoken properly" - James Carr

Scooters are for men who want to ride motorcycles, but prefer to feel the wind on their vaginas.

I'd rather tea bag a hungry lion than buy a Harley Davidson.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th May 2012, 01:19 PM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
Check to see what requirements they have for your tires... some require as much as 80% wear life left. There should be a list of tech inspection requirements posted on the web with whatever organization you'll be running with, and if you can make sure all that is already taken care of before you get there, it'll be a lot less stressful when you go through the inspection.

Begin... the rest is easy.

2011 GSXR 750, 2007 CBR 600RR (Sold), 2005 SV1000s (Sold)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th May 2012, 07:30 PM
Scooter boy

♂ England
As above plus one thing HAVE FUN AND ENJOY the day.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 29th May 2012, 08:49 PM
International dogsbody

♂ England
Belper, Derbyshire
And don't bin it trying to keep up if the friends wife is faster than you!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 1st June 2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Ohio
LOL, not to worried about the buddies wife being faster, am worried about binding it and her not.

Bike is currently undergoing the required mods, oil change, rtv'd filter, etc.

Currently the only holdup is my gear, still working on getting my 360 zipper sewn in since I'm borrowing pants.

Getting excited, really looking forward to this day. Thankfully my turn Achilles is mostly healed, was a bit worried about that, hopefully it won't act up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 5th June 2012, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Ohio
Survived, no broken bits, no injuries, all good times (well, mostly)

Lots to say, but been up for 19 hours now, will post results later.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th June 2012, 02:52 AM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Sunny Southern California
So have you recovered yet? Glad to hear you kept it upright. How do your legs feel?. It always takes me a day to come down from the adrenalin rush.

Careful though, for some track days can be addicting.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 6th June 2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ United States
Ohio
Recovered, yes except the legs. Still need to work on body position to balance the weight between both legs, right now I'm using only the inside leg.

The day was good but they significantly increased the pace for Novice, the fast goups were knee dragging on the first session. Unfortunately I was in a faster group than I should have been (expecting boring, was in 3rd fastest group) and almost binned it on the greasy track trying to at least keep my instructor in view, and as such the learning for the session was a wash and I spent the next 2 sessions trying to pick lines (the first sessions goals) and learning the next set of goals.

The bike did fairly well, felt a little loose but there was a layer of car rubber down that made thing difficult as I was picking up more rubber than I was laying down, I think I added 500 miles to my tires. Later in the day I softened rebound and I think it helped, but the track was also getting better so who knows. One wierd thing though, my buddies (with far greater experiance) said it distinctly sounded like I was squeezing the tires on at least 2 corners. They said it was every time I took those corners and for a fair chunk of the corner. I did feel the bike squirm around quite a bit, especially on those corners, but I don't think I was sliding it around every lap.

Lap times didn't quite get down where I wanted them too, pulled a 2.01 and wanted sub 2, also didn't get knee down which was disappointing. The knee down was body position as my buddies said the bike was as far over as they recommended taking it and I did touch hard parts once, but I think that happened on a front tire slide. I was at least happy with braking, I could significantly out brake anybody I encountered. Not race level but I was supreamely comfortable with hovering the rear tire, granted that made downshifts more difficult but thankfully the SV is wonderful in this regard and didn't require much rowing of the gears. I do think a 16 tooth is in order though, anyplace I could hit 2nd usually had me running out of gear on exit, and a few places 4 would have been good and prevented a downshit but it just didn't have quite the pull I wanted.

The only fubar I really had was a false neutral between 3rd and 2nd when I wasn't convinced I wanted to do that. Oh, and I almost ran off the track once running wide, thankfully I had the mental clarity to tell myself to focus on where I wanted to go, not where I didn't. Still touched paint on the outside but made it through. Other than that the only other fubar was off track at dinner when I accidentally threw a pot pie at our server, that was thankfully solved with a ginormous tip.

All in all a good day, and I can't wait till the next one. The only question is if I will run novice again or jump to intermediate.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 9th June 2012, 07:42 PM
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Sunny Southern California
As a personal preference, I'd rather be a faster guy in a slower group then vis versa. Though if it reaches a point where you're passing guys like they're standing still then it's time to move up as that can get dangerous (plus everyone else in the group will think your an A-hole!).

If you didn't get your knees down at the track it probably was due to body positioning as I'm sure you had enough speed and lean angle. I'll sometimes see guys that think they have their knee out enough, but the pegs or pipes will drag first..you do have to hang off, though being limber and having long legs also helps.

Once you touch your knee down that first time it becomes easier and pretty soon you're doing it all the time. Though I never drag my knee on the street as that would mean I was going way to fast. I've been in the sport a long time and would like to continue to enjoy it for many more years.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10th June 2012, 09:48 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Erie,Pa
Where in Ohio are you located? Try logging onto "Moto Series Track days and Road racing." They have a event this week end at Nelson Ledges,but I had to work this week end. They are a good group of folks,very helpful and friendly.
Who did you go through to ride Mid OH.? That's an awesome track! Got to ride it once a few years back. Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in