'07 SVKS @ Willow Springs Raceway - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Sunny Southern California
'07 SVKS @ Willow Springs Raceway

It took a while, but I finally got motivated enough to get my bike ('07 SVK) out to the local race track. Some friends I met through Facebook were going and had an extra spot on their trailer so I decided it was now or never as it wasn't going to get any cheaper or easier to go. The price for the track day was $120, though I elected to rent a transponder which cost another $40.

I WAS a nervous wreck the night before and wasn't able to fall asleep as I'd been away from the sport for 12 years, I'm approaching 50, and had no clue how I, or the bike, would do.

As it turned out I needn't have worried as I got back up to speed within a couple of sessions and continued to drop my lap times until I ran out of gas (figuratively and literally).

I have revalved forks (Race Tech) and just put a penske shock on the rear. I would say the biggest immediate difference I notice with the Penske was how much smoother the bike seems over any bumps or road irregularities. It would have been nice to compare my before and after times at the track but haven't been out there before with the stock suspension. Though I was planning on fiddling with the suspension throughout the day I ended up never touching it as the bike was working fine for the lap times I was turning. It may not track as well as a GSXR and isn't as fast as some of the latest hyperbikes but did very well never the less. I was getting pulled down the straight by some of the open classers (lots of R1's, GSXR 1K's, BMW RR's etc) but had plenty of grunt everywhere else.

My times for the day would have placed me in the fast intermediate crowd, though I could probably pick up another 4 or 5 seconds just as the bike now sits. I'll need to get some shorter pegs as unless I was leaning way off the bike they would occasionally scrape through the tighter turns. I suppose I could also raise the rear a bit. Rear sets would be an obvious solution but my legs are already folded up enough (plus at 300 bucks they aren't cheap!).

An aftermarket pipe would be next on my list as I could probably lose 20 lbs with a 2 into 1.

I put some Vesrah brake pads in the front the day before heading out to the track. These weren't the top of the line Vesrah brakes but I was 100% happy with them..great initial bite and no fading (as opposed to the stock brakes). The tires I ran were Dunlop Sportmax Q2's. I've been using these since I bought the bike and have never had a problem with them and experienced zero issues with them at the track. They warmed up very quickly and offered plenty of grip at all lean angles.

SO overall it was a great day and I beat my best time on that track from 14 years ago by a couple of seconds. Of course it's been 3 days and my legs still feel like rubber bands!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...dGroup7906.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=cee91d14f9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2012, 05:51 AM
Weekend cruiser

♂ United States
Highlands Ranch, CO
Very nice! I'm 28 and have been riding for a decade now, 50k across 3 bikes but have yet to get on the track, maybe in 2013!

-Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so probably with spelling errors!

2003 SV1000N - Yosh RS3 Carbon Fiber
ZX-11 - Sold
2010 VW TDI Clean Diesel Racing Cup Edition 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2012, 02:08 PM
Mmmm Kate

♂ United States
Los Angeles, California
Nice. Turn 8 and 9 require large nads to go full tilt.

Did anyone crash at turn 3 the uphill left hander?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I don't have an English accent because this is what English sounds like when spoken properly" - James Carr

Scooters are for men who want to ride motorcycles, but prefer to feel the wind on their vaginas.

I'd rather tea bag a hungry lion than buy a Harley Davidson.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Fair weather rider

♂ United States
Sunny Southern California
Quote:
Did anyone crash at turn 3 the uphill left hander?
ME!, but that was around 14 years ago. One guy in a very nice older Moto Guzzi went down at turn 5, that's the down hill left hander. And another bike went off at the end of turn 2, how he managed that I have no idea. Fortunately both riders were quickly on their feet.

Turn 8 is a little nuts and is also the fastest turn on the track (supposedly the fastest turn in the West). It's also critical to getting a good lap time on that track and setting up for turn 9 which leads into the straight. I never really nailed it and kept finding myself in the wrong gear or slightly off line leading into turn 9. IF I'd gotten it right (and a good drive off turn 7) I'm sure I could have gotten the bike well into the 1:30's.

The group I went with all had a terrific time and can't wait to go back so I'm sure I'll be back there. One of the girls I went with are going out to an event called "Femmewalla" in December so hopefully I can take the bike out to Chuckwalla at some point as it looks like a fun layout.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2012, 06:06 PM
Mmmm Kate

♂ United States
Los Angeles, California
Turn 3 catches a lot of people out. Only 2 left turns and not much heat in that side of the tyre.

I enjoy that track, but have never really jelled with it. So I never go well there. I prefer Streets of Willow and Cali Speedway.

Glad you had fun though.

"I don't have an English accent because this is what English sounds like when spoken properly" - James Carr

Scooters are for men who want to ride motorcycles, but prefer to feel the wind on their vaginas.

I'd rather tea bag a hungry lion than buy a Harley Davidson.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 30th November 2012, 12:48 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
yonkers, new york
Great write up!!!! I would LOVE to do a trackday in next year or so on my sv.

2nd sv1000s-SOLD w/32k !! sold the 1sv w/ 35K!
yosh bolt-ons ,PCIII w/custom map[/B], k&n filter, desnorkled , ohlins 20mm fork kit+ springs, penske8900e, BT023's, gafler lines, EBC pads

Heli-bars, frame sliders, spools, touring screen,-1 front sprocket-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 1st December 2012, 09:55 AM
Hardcore Biker

♂ United Kingdom
Nice write up , glad to see another sv being used out on track

Yoshi TRS,PC111,K&N,TRE,EBC HH pads, Hel Brake lines, forks revaled/resprung by Maxton,rear resprung by Maxton,Suzuki Gel seat,R&G rad guard,Chewy's pair kit , full stainless bolt kit,mirror extenders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in