Noise restrictions for trackday - SV1000 Portal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th July 2015, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Noise restrictions for trackday

Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Anglesey in Wales later this week to do a trackday. One of the rules is that the bike has to pass a 102dB static noise test. I've a set of Two Brothers cans on the bike and to be honest I have no idea how loud they are (though they do move pedestrians out of the way!).

Just in case, I'm seriously considering bringing the stock cans with me and if the bike fails fitting them on. Would be a bummer to go all the way to Wales and not be able to get on track. But I would much rather take to the track with the Two Brothers still fitted

So any way I can measure the noise levels of the bike myself? And what exactly does a static noise test entail?

All help n advice much appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th July 2015, 08:47 AM
Raising the standards

♂ England
Norfolk
Garage
I'm sure you can get a decibel meter app for your phone.
Snetterton tested me at 5500 rpm I was making 100 db with baffles in,they basically get you to hold a required rev range while measuring the noise. Soon as the test was done I took my baffles out.

You`ll find it`s a better class of people who own BMW motorcycles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th July 2015, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Cheers John, I don't have baffles in the Two Brothers cans so I reckon they mightn't pass. Think I'll wrap up the stock cans and carry them with me on the bike - that way there's no risk of me missing out on track time...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th July 2015, 05:07 PM
Raising the standards

♂ England
Norfolk
Garage
I've had a look on Google play store (calm down Peter) and there are several decibel meters that are free,so why not download one and give it a whirl?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th July 2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Am gonna give it a whirl just for pig iron. Curious to see what sort of db levels I get. But just in case I have a fall back plan... ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1448_1438020183683.jpg (152.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1447_1438020211064.jpg (152.0 KB, 19 views)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 27th July 2015, 06:35 PM
Raising the standards

♂ England
Norfolk
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
Am gonna give it a whirl just for pig iron. Curious to see what sort of db levels I get. But just in case I have a fall back plan... ?
Good thinking that man,was you a boy scout when you was a lad?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th July 2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Good thinking that man,was you a boy scout when you was a lad?
Nah, never was...just like thinking outside the box (easy Pete)!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th July 2015, 04:29 PM
I love my SV

♂ United Kingdom
West Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatcho View Post
Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Anglesey in Wales later this week to do a trackday. One of the rules is that the bike has to pass a 102dB static noise test. I've a set of Two Brothers cans on the bike and to be honest I have no idea how loud they are (though they do move pedestrians out of the way!).

Just in case, I'm seriously considering bringing the stock cans with me and if the bike fails fitting them on. Would be a bummer to go all the way to Wales and not be able to get on track. But I would much rather take to the track with the Two Brothers still fitted

So any way I can measure the noise levels of the bike myself? And what exactly does a static noise test entail?

All help n advice much appreciated!
I done a track evening at Brands Hatch and my slightly shortened Scorpion's passed ok with baffles... they get vtwin's to rev to 5k when taking a reading....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th August 2015, 01:00 PM
55,500 miles and counting

♂ United Kingdom
running out of birthdays fast.
Mine passed at snetterton , Remus race cans with tiny baffle in..92 dB. Limit was about 100 I think.

My new toy. A 2005 Yamaha MT-01 1700cc torque monster.

DO NOT CLICK THESE LINKS IF YOU ARE A LIMP WRISTED GAY BOY AS YOU MAY BE SHOCKED !!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 5th August 2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Biker

♂ Ireland
Co. Kildare Ireland
Well there was no checking of sound levels at all on the day. But apparently it's pot luck as sometimes an independent assessor is there to take readings and can stop you from going on track. Kind of ironic really as when the RAF boys flew their jet fighters overhead you couldn't hear the bikes at all, even when a bunch of them were passing the pit wall!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in