Front Brake - SV1000 Portal
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By schmidt314

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 28th July 2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
L-Plate Rider

♂ Afghanistan
Front Brake

Hi Guys, I'm having a problem getting a good front brake feeling, on my last track day the lever was coming back to the bar, although the brakes stopping power was good, I thought it might be worn pads, when I removed them they still had a lot of meat on them, I replaced them anyway with SPSdc, I already had a Radial master cyl fitted from a 650SV, I've bled the system every way possible, not any air bubbles in sight, so I fitted another Radial cyl from a ZX10, again bled the system again no air in it, but the lever still comes back to the bar, the brake does lock the wheel at half movement but I can pull it further to the bar, can anyone help me with this annoying problem PLEASE,

thanks for any help

Froggy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 4th August 2018, 05:07 AM
KNEE DRAGGER

♂ United States
Portland Oregon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old gits racing View Post
Hi Guys, I'm having a problem getting a good front brake feeling, on my last track day the lever was coming back to the bar, although the brakes stopping power was good, I thought it might be worn pads, when I removed them they still had a lot of meat on them, I replaced them anyway with SPSdc, I already had a Radial master cyl fitted from a 650SV, I've bled the system every way possible, not any air bubbles in sight, so I fitted another Radial cyl from a ZX10, again bled the system again no air in it, but the lever still comes back to the bar, the brake does lock the wheel at half movement but I can pull it further to the bar, can anyone help me with this annoying problem PLEASE,

thanks for any help

Froggy.

Are we talking about stock SV calipers?
What fluid are you using?
Have you actually pulled the calipers apart to make they donít have goo in them?

I know you said there is no air, but it sure sounds like there is still air some where trapped or old gross fluid that has not been flushed out or calipers not properly serviced.

I do a a bunch of brakes for street and race bikes. I often get them in the same state as you described. And it is usually air.

I compress all pistons into calipers as far as they will go forcing fluid back into the reservoir. I pump calipers back up at the lever. Repeat three times.

Now, crack the bleeder on one caliper and squeeze all the pistons back in. Pump caliper back up. Repeat.

Now do the same for the other caliper. Making sure at all times you do not run the reservoir out of fluid.

Now if you have a radial master, position it so that the bleeder is at the high point, and bleed at least three times. If you have an axial master you need to position it tilted so the ball end of the lever is higher than the piston by about 2 inches and wiggle the lever in and out several times to burp it. Place as normal and squeeze several times very hard and hold for about 5 seconds.
Burp master again. Repeat several times.

Now bleed at each caliper once or twice.

Several of the old six piston calipers would not ever bleed out properly unless you did this.

This also assures the old fluid in the lower piston sections gets pumped out of the calipers.

-ms
Glenn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 4th August 2018, 11:55 AM
Forum whore

♂ United States
Virginia
I had the same issue with my SV but not quite as bad. I rebuilt the calipers and changed the fluid. This didn't help. I did a bit of searching and it turns out a lot of people have this issue. One suggestion I found was to keep the brake lever squeezed overnight. This definitely made a difference when I did it. I still feel there's a bit too much free play but it's better. Give it a try. It's easy enough.

"Hypocrisy isn't the Republicans' weakness. It's their platform" - Seth Myers

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th September 2018, 03:38 PM
L-Plate Rider

♂ South Africa
South Africa
Another alternative is to remove all brake fluid from the front system. Take a syringe and fill from the bottom up. Do one leg at a time until the fluid just appears in the master cylinder on the first leg, then do the other leg to increase the level of the reservoir on the handle bar. Top up where necessary.The pressure required to fill each leg with fluid will force any air out of the system through the reservoir. Take care that you don't over fill the reservoir.
If the SV is the same as my V-Strom, you have a little wheel on the front brake lever, that can be adjusted to set the travel or distance from the handle bar when the lever is activated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SV1000 Portal forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in