SV1000 Portal

SV1000 Portal (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/)
-   Bike Zone (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/13-bike-zone/)
-   -   My R1 Got Obliterated By A Drunk Driver (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/13-bike-zone/70770-my-r1-got-obliterated-drunk-driver.html)

partyman66 26th November 2017 11:29 PM

My R1 Got Obliterated By A Drunk Driver

Title says it all... It was a fairly warm night last night so I took my mint 2012 50th anniversary edition R1 out for a quick ride to do some errands at around 7:30 pm. About 2 miles from my house I was stopped at a red light on top of a bridge for a highway overpass and the next thing I know there's a huge bang and i'm flying through the air and then skidding along the ground amidst a fury of grinding metal and plastic. A drunk driving Non-English speaking Mexican who had pulled out of a bar a few hundred feet down the street had rear ended me from behind at about 45-50 MPH. I was fortunate to have a CE rated back protector and armor in my jacket because I was able to pop right up and run out of the roadway and avoid being hit by cars coming the other way through the intersection and walked away with just some very minor road rash on one calf, and the same on my ankle and knee of the other leg.

There were 3 witnesses and 2 of them saw him pull out of the bar and said he was obviously a mess and swerving all over the road and drive through one red light before hitting me. They all said I flew up into the air and did a complete forward flip, landing on my shoulders and back a bit up the road and skidding on my back for a ways. It was scary because I must have had my eyes closed as I was sliding and I was pretty sure in my head that I was being dragged under a car or truck based on the sounds and what seemed like an eternity of sliding on the road and hearing all the grinding noises.

The other guys car (old 90's Corolla with rattle can paint job) is completely destroyed which is good because I'm pretty sure he was an illegal and he may have tried to hit and run me if it still ran. My buddy is a tow truck operator and told me they arrested the other guy for OUI and took him to jail. I saw him walking around after the accident and he was obviously lit as hell.

The hospital made me go through a trauma unit checkout because of how violent the hit was and the flip and back landing... but they said I seem to be unscathed except for the minor leg abrasions.

I wish I had some pictures but I couldn't get my phone to work after the crash so it must have taken some damage as well from being in my pants pocket when I landed on the pavement.

I'm not really sure what's going to happen now because I couldn't get a good feel for how bad the bike was, but judging by his car... my bike has to have structural damage. I don't want it back if after that even though I adore that bike.

I guess I'll start looking for a newer R1 and can hopefully be back on the road for Spring. In the meantime I still have my old SV1000 but it hasn't been used in 3 years and probably needs a few things to be road worthy now. It's winter here anyways so no rush to put something on the road right now.

FVCK drunk Mexican illegals!!!! This is why we can't have nice things.

schmidt314 26th November 2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partyman66 (Post 1852304562)
Title says it all... It was a fairly warm night last night so I took my mint 2012 50th anniversary edition R1 out for a quick ride to do some errands at around 7:30 pm. About 2 miles from my house I was stopped at a red light on top of a bridge for a highway overpass and the next thing I know there's a huge bang and i'm flying through the air and then skidding along the ground amidst a fury of grinding metal and plastic. A drunk driving Non-English speaking Mexican who had pulled out of a bar a few hundred feet down the street had rear ended me from behind at about 45-50 MPH. I was fortunate to have a CE rated back protector and armor in my jacket because I was able to pop right up and run out of the roadway and avoid being hit by cars coming the other way through the intersection and walked away with just some very minor road rash on one calf, and the same on my ankle and knee of the other leg.

There were 3 witnesses and 2 of them saw him pull out of the bar and said he was obviously a mess and swerving all over the road and drive through one red light before hitting me. They all said I flew up into the air and did a complete forward flip, landing on my shoulders and back a bit up the road and skidding on my back for a ways. It was scary because I must have had my eyes closed as I was sliding and I was pretty sure in my head that I was being dragged under a car or truck based on the sounds and what seemed like an eternity of sliding on the road and hearing all the grinding noises.

The other guys car (old 90's Corolla with rattle can paint job) is completely destroyed which is good because I'm pretty sure he was an illegal and he may have tried to hit and run me if it still ran. My buddy is a tow truck operator and told me they arrested the other guy for OUI and took him to jail. I saw him walking around after the accident and he was obviously lit as hell.

The hospital made me go through a trauma unit checkout because of how violent the hit was and the flip and back landing... but they said I seem to be unscathed except for the minor leg abrasions.

I wish I had some pictures but I couldn't get my phone to work after the crash so it must have taken some damage as well from being in my pants pocket when I landed on the pavement.

I'm not really sure what's going to happen now because I couldn't get a good feel for how bad the bike was, but judging by his car... my bike has to have structural damage. I don't want it back if after that even though I adore that bike.

I guess I'll start looking for a newer R1 and can hopefully be back on the road for Spring. In the meantime I still have my old SV1000 but it hasn't been used in 3 years and probably needs a few things to be road worthy now. It's winter here anyways so no rush to put something on the road right now.

FVCK drunk Mexican illegals!!!! This is why we can't have nice things.

I am very pleased to hear you are OK. Screw the bike, you could have really messed up.

Let hope the other driver has good insurance. Make to sure to collect on all your gear, the whole, bike, your phone and any thing else.

New R1s are pretty cool, but are the the latest GSX-R and ZX10R.

Again, very happy to hear you are fine.

Cheers
-ms

D.T. 27th November 2017 02:45 PM

I got rear ended before, some teen age kids in the car. Usually check my mirrors a lot and get ready.

Had a dude fly by the right side of me once in the Jeep. Saw him in the mirror then.. I think he had an oh sh*t moment.

RIP R1. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad.

tzk321 27th November 2017 07:54 PM

That's quite a story! Very glad (and amazed) to hear that you're OK