SV1000 Portal

SV1000 Portal (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/)
-   SV1000 discussion (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/4-sv1000-discussion/)
-   -   Which is the best fuel to use at Altitude (https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/4-sv1000-discussion/72787-best-fuel-use-altitude.html)

Big Dave 5th July 2019 06:41 AM

Which is the best fuel to use at Altitude

OK.. So I always go for 98 octane in my 2011 SV1000S because higher is better, Right?. But occasionally I'm stuck with 95 Octane.
I get the feeling that the bike rather likes the 95 octane and wonder if I'm just wasting my money on the 98 octane.
The bike lives at 1500m above seas level on a plateau. What do you think?

RecoilRob 5th July 2019 08:45 PM

The stock engine needs 87 octane (we use R+M/2) at sea level and the higher you go....the less octane you need because of the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Many States here that exist at altitudes of 4000+feet only have 91 octane as their highest where we down here near Sea Level have 93-94 common at the pumps.

Your 98 is very likely much the same as our 93 rating and unless you've modified the motor pretty decently it's not needed even at Sea Level. If the bike seems to like the 95...by all means use it!:) The stock SV motor isn't hard on the octane and detonation shouldn't be a problem.

Missing Link 8th July 2019 04:39 AM

I have found 95 is the best all round......not that we have altitude issues here in Oz....but i would say the RecoilRob is on the money....

Junkie 8th July 2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoilRob (Post 1852322583)
The stock engine needs 87 octane (we use R+M/2) at sea level and the higher you go....the less octane you need because of the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Many States here that exist at altitudes of 4000+feet only have 91 octane as their highest where we down here near Sea Level have 93-94 common at the pumps.

Your 98 is very likely much the same as our 93 rating and unless you've modified the motor pretty decently it's not needed even at Sea Level. If the bike seems to like the 95...by all means use it!:) The stock SV motor isn't hard on the octane and detonation shouldn't be a problem.

here in CA it's 87/89/91 even at sea level

Big Dave 12th July 2019 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoilRob (Post 1852322583)

Thanks Junkie; It all makes perfect sense but also poses the question... Do American made bikes have a different compression ratio to Japanese made bikes? Mine is a Jap bike (E4) and I would assume that Missing Link's Bike is also a Jap manufacture. In any event I'm going to drop it down to a tank full of 93 and see what happens. Probably nothing but I'll let you all know,

vic_bitter 12th July 2019 06:24 AM

Yanks don't make bikes, only Harley's.

hansbeer 12th July 2019 02:10 PM

I live in Hartbeespoort, which is about the same altitude as Randburg. My bike definitely likes the 95octane better. I tried 97 octane and could see no difference in performance, only an occasional backfire through the airbox when blipping the throttle. Now I only use 95 octane.

hansbeer 12th July 2019 02:30 PM

My mind is not working so well since I have retired! The only fuel types we have here is 93 and 95. I only use 93.

Junkie 12th July 2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1852322695)
Thanks Junkie; It all makes perfect sense but also poses the question... Do American made bikes have a different compression ratio to Japanese made bikes? Mine is a Jap bike (E4) and I would assume that Missing Link's Bike is also a Jap manufacture. In any event I'm going to drop it down to a tank full of 93 and see what happens. Probably nothing but I'll let you all know,

as Rob said, we measure octane differently. It's something like a 5 octane difference for the same fuel. Of course that isn't an exact number...

you should be fine with a tank of 93

RecoilRob 13th July 2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1852322695)

Nope.....I believe all markets got the same motor....though some had more restrictive ECU's for different HP max due to regulations.

The basic design and tuning of the SV1K means it's not going to run happily below 3000 rpm and is happiest getting WOT no less than 4000...so it's spinning pretty fast and really can't be lugged so detonation is not much of a problem for most.

The worst part of this problem is that detonation is VERY destructive and I for sure would never hear it should it happen which means the motor will die if I let it detonate. Seeing as I can't detect when it would happen...I run the best fuel I can find and (knocks on wood) it's still alive and well on our 93.

There are different ways to blend fuel that will arrive at the same octane rating but contain a lot different btu content or vaporize better or whatever else can contribute to less fuel being needed and better mileage results. I try all the different brands in the local area and if I find one runs better...it gets used.

Years ago Sunoco used to offer a Super 94 blend and my V-Max always got 30 or so more miles on a tank vs all the other fuels available in town. Others had the same results so there must have been more energy in that fuel to deliver better mpg's in everyone who tried it.