SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i will have to buy a gauge, im learning so i have to research thT

no gauge ill have to buy one then learn how to use it.
i bumped into a mechanic guy the other day and he mentioned the same thing about fuel pressure, i read about the fuel pressure in the" book", but im just not sure its computing. so i need to get a gauge to check my fuel pressure? and whatever that consists of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After some reading, I may have a pressure problem. Problems I know I need to address. Old or clogged oil filter, IM past due and need a new one. My regulator, looked pretty trashed, there was a lot of rust on it and in it.. if my pressure test proves to have a problem will I have to do a leak down test to find the exact problem? Or what's the deal behind that?

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts
After some reading, I may have a pressure problem. Problems I know I need to address. Old or clogged oil filter, IM past due and need a new one. My regulator, looked pretty trashed, there was a lot of rust on it and in it.. if my pressure test proves to have a problem will I have to do a leak down test to find the exact problem? Or what's the deal behind that?
If your pump looked like that I would assume you have fuel problems.

You could even just do a flow test to see if it is way off. Typical new fresh pump systems produce 400-500cc in 10 seconds.

An SV1000 will run pretty well down to about 250cc in 10sec but at extended wide open throttle you might have issue.

At 150cc in 10 seconds you have big issues that need to be resolved.

Setting up a fuel pressure gauge can tell you a bunch in just a few seconds. Total pressure, regulator, stability of output can all be seen.

I have seen in many cases when a regulator goes bad it has low pressure but runs, but as soon as fuel demand goes up under loading, pressure drops so far, injectors can’t supply fuel. A pump with damage can also cause issues as the pumping efficiency has been lost is is likely bleeding back.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
I know that broken piece is meant to be in the tank, but, i cant remember what its purpose is, other than maybe dto do with venting ? schmidt314 may have some more thoughts on it ?

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts
I know that broken piece is meant to be in the tank, but, i cant remember what its purpose is, other than maybe dto do with venting ? schmidt314 may have some more thoughts on it ?
I think that might be the recall 03 SV650/1000 CA tank issue where the extra vent assembly was breaking out of the tanks. It might have never been updated.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
I think that might be the recall 03 SV650/1000 CA tank issue where the extra vent assembly was breaking out of the tanks. It might have never been updated.

-ms

Ahhh...so, is it critical on a Calif bike ? Or any bike for that matter.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ahhh...so, is it critical on a Calif bike ? Or any bike for that matter.....
Up date on my 03 sv1000, it sputter and dies no more! .
I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Do I need to put my injectors back like they were or are they ok Swaped? When swapped and test rode my problem was no more! So I left em swapped. Im so freaking happy. is there anything else I need to know? I

Here's the Steps I've taken to fix my problem Before I reached out to the forum I began to loose my #1 so I I cleaned my gas tank of the terrible rust inside and lost pressure. so i installed new fuel pump, but I did not clean the injectors and that's where I messed up. I should have I just didn't know. Since I had to swap the injectors I went a head and cleaned them them and test rode my bike. This fixed all delay and lack of power and sputtering and dying. Before I cleaned my injectors we ohmed the stp to correct position which helped a lot. 2. Made sure the tp sensor was in the correct position. And adjusted the idle speed to correct position that rusty red cake. . I'm still gunna change plugs, oil and filter.ill update about the recall on my tank. Bikes running like a champ atm. " SV for life Holmes! "

. Im am to call my local dealer back with my vin number and he's going to get in touch with Suzuki about ordering my recall.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
That is bloody fantastic....... just leave the injectors where they are, its fine...... Either the clean or, maybe even the connector may have been loose, but either way, youse is one happy boy...!!

I would hazard a guess that your plugs, probably the front one, will b a bit foul, but would probably burn clear with a decent run.....night runs in cold air are the best.....(the air is denser and the burn is better)

Very happy for you...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
missing link i owe you a couple beers bro,. yes my baby runs again! i believe im going to need a new fuel pressure regulator. all that rusty red cake i guess took a toll on mine. but minor in comparison to where i was at.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Not certain, but, i "think" the reg could be propped open with the right jig and left to soak in some carby cleaner or similar overnight.....

A trick i used when doing a backyarder job of cleaning my injectors was putting them in a soup tin of fuel cleaner and strapping it to an orbital sander...
Tin has to be deep enough to stop splashing, and then gave them a minute of high speed vibes.........i was surprised how much the fuel cleaner dirtied up....
i wont go on with the rest of that procedure, but, i think that could save your reg.......nothing to lose huh....

21 - 32 of 32 Posts