SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner to my SV1000 so I thought I'd pull her apart a bit and see what gremlins are lying underneath. I've got as far as the flywheel and found the magnets in somewhat of a bad shape.

I was hoping to see what the general consensus is here about whether I JB Weld them back in and run her or if I should try and sort something else out.

My initial thoughts are I don't have anything readily available so I might as well JB Weld what I do have remaining and check how the charge voltage behaves over the next little while?

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow! some of them are well mullered. Strangely there doesn't seem to have been much movement in the magnets though, the gaps are still present.
That really badly damage magnet seems to have a lot of adhesive behing it, wonder if it's been 'repaired' in the past and been sitting proud and striking the poles on the stator causing the damage.

In the absense of any other solution I think I'd agree with your thoughts though, clean all the garbage out, glue the magnets in and fill in the gaps to prevent further movement and see what happens. Maybe re-distribute the damaged magnets to try and balance out the weight as much as possible.

Worth keeping an eye out for a rotor coming up for sale. Are these available from Suzuki and if so what cost?

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! some of them are well mullered. Strangely there doesn't seem to have been much movement in the magnets though, the gaps are still present.
That really badly damage magnet seems to have a lot of adhesive behing it, wonder if it's been 'repaired' in the past and been sitting proud and striking the poles on the stator causing the damage.

In the absense of any other solution I think I'd agree with your thoughts though, clean all the garbage out, glue the magnets in and fill in the gaps to prevent further movement and see what happens. Maybe re-distribute the damaged magnets to try and balance out the weight as much as possible.

Worth keeping an eye out for a rotor coming up for sale. Are these available from Suzuki and if so what cost?
I think its just the photo that I've uploaded, in reality there is no epoxy present on those magnets. I'll upload a couple extra photos shortly to give a better depiction.

If I try and redistribute the weight evenly, then I'm lifting the other magnets. Hmmmm, this is becoming a big task. I just wanted to ride this weekend.

I'm going to send off for some quotes tomorrow and have a bit of a search on eBay and give a couple 2-wheel wreckers a call to see what they have.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really? I know photo's don't always tell the truth but this magnet definitely appears to have "something" behind it and is being lifted away from the ID of the rotor.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Helmet Vehicle

My understanding is that the "JB weld solution" used JB weld to prevent the magnets rotating and hence keeps the gaps between them constant but uses Loctite to 'glue' the magnets onto the rotor. This seemed to be what you were intending to do apart from possibly having to shift some of the other magnets, you could just do that and you'll be no worse off than you are now, the only downside would be it will be a bit more difficult to do the job "properly" in the future if you decide you want to or need to. But if it works it may continue to do so for the rest of its days and you can forget about it1

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If someone has 'fixed' this in the past, they did a really shit job haha.

I just watched a video on YouTube where the fella used JB on the underside as well as a bit in-between. I was just going to try and match the weights as evenly as possible at opposite sides.

Thanks @GDCobra, I've got some thinking to do.

Brown Snow Font Rectangle Rock

·
Registered
54 Posts
If someone has 'fixed' this in the past, they did a really shit job haha.

I just watched a video on YouTube where the fella used JB on the underside as well as a bit in-between. I was just going to try and match the weights as evenly as possible at opposite sides.

Thanks @GDCobra, I've got some thinking to do.

View attachment 118122
I'd say that was a case of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing!

This is one job I have planned for over winter, been tempted to have the left side case of and check it out since I got the bike but would rather be spending my time riding it than 'fixing' it. I have a few other jobs to sort out, need to make myself a list so I don't forget any.

Hope all goes well with it.

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm off to the shops today. Unfortunately I'm not back at work this weekend otherwise I'd be able to grab a M20x1.5 bolt off the rack.
  • M20 Flywheel Puller
  • JB Weld
  • Wet+Dry Sandpaper
  • Degreaser/ Carb Cleaner/ Metho/ Acetone/ Cleaner
  • Engine Oil + Filter (Sacrificial)
I tested the coil resistance, that was all good at ~4 between windings. Thats at least one positive.

Time to have some fun

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
You have got replacement magnets from somehwere ? There is nothing good that will come from trying to use pieced together magnets that are that badly broken.
Firstly, weight distribution.....balance issues up the wazzoo...
Secondly, north south pole orientation, will cause voltage issues
Thirdly, large gaps between "complete" magnets will also cause voltage issues.......

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have got replacement magnets from somehwere ? There is nothing good that will come from trying to use pieced together magnets that are that badly broken.
Firstly, weight distribution.....balance issues up the wazzoo...
Secondly, north south pole orientation, will cause voltage issues
Thirdly, large gaps between "complete" magnets will also cause voltage issues.......
Hey mate, I do not have magnets to replace these.
I called the wreckers - no joy.
Google search - no joy.
At this point in time, I can only see 2 options. Repair my flywheel with what I've got and see how it goes or buy a new one. Chances are I will have to buy a new one but I'm also curious as to how bad this will be if I give it the JB repair. It can't be any worse than what it is right now.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Its your call mate, but, i aint so sure it will work out well..... You do need to try and find as much of that magnet material from the sump as you can.... Obviously fishing with
a steel wire with a bent end so you can sweep the sump will help, and hopefully a lot will attach to the sump plug too.... ( do the sweep with the plug out)

Whereabouts are you as well....up behind the GC here...

·
Registered
2006 SV1000S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its your call mate, but, i aint so sure it will work out well..... You do need to try and find as much of that magnet material from the sump as you can.... Obviously fishing with
a steel wire with a bent end so you can sweep the sump will help, and hopefully a lot will attach to the sump plug too.... ( do the sweep with the plug out)

Whereabouts are you as well....up behind the GC here...
Yeah, I thought about it some more. I think I'm just delaying the inevitable. I purchased a new flywheel online and sell this one with 4 magnets on it. The sump looks pretty clean, got both sides off and had a good look. Most of the magnet bits are contained to the flywheel itself, a few bits on the starter cog, nothing clutch side. I'll give it a good clean and then plan on a couple oil drains in quick succession.

I'm in Perth, Alkimos to be exact.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
IF, you can seperate the magnets, good heat applied, you will sell th emagnets easier than the flywheel, as the weight makes the postage stupid......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts