SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been reading through the forum and have found a bunch of information. I had been trying to find an 2004 750 front end but couldn't where I am (AUS) I came across a 2007 front end and jumped on it. Am stumped on what I need to do to get the stem to fit at this point in time I'm under the assumption the stem is 28 mm diameter? If so what are my option to get it to fit and next the front end is minus a wheel is it worth getting a spacer for the sv rim or better/easier to get a matching gsxr rim?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
The 07 is K6/K7....that sheet is a bit short on info....included one i added info to below

I have an 06/07 gixxer front end in mine...uses the same steering head bearings, its only the part of the stem that goes through the top triple that is different......
Also, i got an 04/05 top triple clamp to keep the ignition and steering lock in the same place, just needs the stem hole drilled out to suit the 06/07 stem.

The rim is the same.....as long as you have the axle and spacer from the Gixxer, all is well......

Attachments

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,325 Posts
Brake calipers are another thing you'll need to change. I highly recommend the Yamaha R6/R1 radial calipers, as they are 500gms/pair lighter than the GSXR Tokiko calipers.

You'll also need different clip-ons. I used Honda CRB100RR bars, and they are perfect.
(954 bars will work in a pinch, but 1000RR bars are best)

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
................I used Honda CRB100RR bars, and they are perfect.
(954 bars will work in a pinch, but 1000RR bars are best)
What year 1000 bars were they......? and what is the rise like compared to the SV ones..?

I used i think 929 bars, but they are short by an inch.....i spun down some long bar ends to use as bar extensions....ha ha..... works, but not ideal.....and hey are proably a full inch lower than the SV ones..

On the caliper front, the R1 units have a bit more head room for removal past the rim yes ?

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,325 Posts
What year 1000 bars were they......? and what is the rise like compared to the SV ones..?

I used i think 929 bars, but they are short by an inch.....i spun down some long bar ends to use as bar extensions....ha ha..... works, but not ideal.....and hey are proably a full inch lower than the SV ones..

On the caliper front, the R1 units have a bit more head room for removal past the rim yes ?
I misspoke. 954 and 1000RR bars are the same, and it's the 929 bars that will do in a pinch.
As for what year, I don't recall what I used, but I think I did both of mine in '07 so they'd be at least that old.

I imagine the R1/R6 calipers may have more room due to the reduced overall mass, but the unsprung weight savings was my reason for choosing them.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
I misspoke. 954 and 1000RR bars are the same, and it's the 929 bars that will do in a pinch.
As for what year, I don't recall what I used, but I think I did both of mine in '07 so they'd be at least that old.

I imagine the R1/R6 calipers may have more room due to the reduced overall mass, but the unsprung weight savings was my reason for choosing them.

The tubes on your forks are 50mm yeah?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
Cool.....the bars you used seem to have a reasonable rise, i looked at 07 ones on google..... how do they compare with the original SV ones in your opinion

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,325 Posts
They might be a touch taller, but are pretty much the same. I had no problem using stock length brake/clutch lines.
The only thing I had to do is drill a mounting hole for the reservoir(s).

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
I made a bracket for the brake res that stand up from the fork clamp on the triple.....

So, you think they are similar to the OEM bars.....cool.....the 929/954 (cant remember now) ones are lower for sure....... dont know if its worth chasing the 1000 bars....as i had lines made that were an inch shorter so there was less slack.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 07 is K6/K7....that sheet is a bit short on info....included one i added info to below

I have an 06/07 gixxer front end in mine...uses the same steering head bearings, its only the part of the stem that goes through the top triple that is different......
Also, i got an 04/05 top triple clamp to keep the ignition and steering lock in the same place, just needs the stem hole drilled out to suit the 06/07 stem.

The rim is the same.....as long as you have the axle and spacer from the Gixxer, all is well......
Not too sure on the spacer I got the Axel pictured below if need be I'll jump on ebay and see what I can find. As for the clip ons was going to look for tls parts but if cbr 100rr circa 2004 will work I'll try there

Attachments

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,501 Posts
Number 7 is what you will need

1 - 13 of 13 Posts