SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The left side of my engine is leaking oil (I see that it's a common thing.) However, the stealership wants my bike for a fricken week to fix it! People are saying it's easy to fix by yourself "if you have a rear stand." What about if I don't have a rear stand? Would I have to drain the oil first? Also popping that cap off of there and changing the O-Ring yourself wouldn't void the warranty would it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The oil is pretty far down from that plug hole so you might be able to do it without a rear stand but I never tried. You could place a piece of 2x4 under the kickstand and make the bike more level that way. Might want to tie the handle bar to something so it does not fall over when you are working on it. Fixing the leak will not void the warrantee and they will never know anyway. Its just a screw in plug that you loosen and then remove the old o-ring and replace with a new one and screw back on.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
aggs23 said:
Well wouldn't I have to go through them (dealership) to buy the part?
You could get it at www.ronayers.com . Its only a $1.50 or so. Buy some oil filters and some other odds and ends to make up for the shipping. The dealership probably needs a week to get the part. It only takes about 10 minutes to fix. Most of that time is spent getting your tools out. It really is an easy thing to fix. Unless its leaking bad you could still ride your bike. Just be sure to keep an eye on the oil level daily. I doubt its leaking more then a few drips at a time.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
aggs23 said:
Thanks a lot for that info. It is leaking pretty slowly, just bugs me. Now I just have to find the part on that page. Anyone know part number or the name of it?
It should be part number 09280-33004. I picked up a spare because I know its likely my N will start to leak there at some point. I fixed my S and its still leak free. Just be sure and clean up everything well. Any dirt might cause it to leak again. The tolerances for the seal fitting are not very good. So any dirt will allow oil to come out.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,766 Posts
aggs23 said:
The left side of my engine is leaking oil (I see that it's a common thing.) However, the stealership wants my bike for a fricken week to fix it! People are saying it's easy to fix by yourself "if you have a rear stand." What about if I don't have a rear stand? Would I have to drain the oil first? Also popping that cap off of there and changing the O-Ring yourself wouldn't void the warranty would it?

Thanks
You may have already thought of this so if you have, I apologize in advance. Did you try torquing the bolt to spec which is 8.0 lb-ft? Also, some people claim they got the leak to stop by using non-sythetic oil. Good luck in stopping the leak!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet! Well while I have your attention you don't happen to have the part number for the crush washer that goes on the drain plug do ya? Might as well order some of those too I suppose.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that could also be the problem. I haven't torqued it to exactly that spec, (it's definitely close), guess I should bust out the torque wrench tonight. Also, I don't use sythetic so I shouldn't have to worry about that.

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
Resurrecting a thread. . . which O-Ring is this?
Just make sure it's not the clutch slave cylinder thats leaking,( in the same area ) they tend to go around 20,000 miles, it's another cheap and quick fix.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Resurrection

Alright. Since I can't seem to find a picture on this... I believe this is the same problem mentioned in this thread... Can someone please confirm... and if so, what do i need to do to fix it...

Attachments

·
N of Atlanta
7,697 Posts
wow almost looks like you rode through rain. :eek:hmy:

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,328 Posts
I just went to the local hardware and bought a new O-ring a little fatter than stock. Problem fixed, cost was about $1, and no wait.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just went to the local hardware and bought a new O-ring a little fatter than stock. Problem fixed, cost was about $1, and no wait.
Ummm... so how do I get to this infamous O-Ring... and is the picture I posted the actual problem? Anyone document this or take pictures of the repair job?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts