SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
...and, if this *IS* the 'o-ring'...

Why is there oil coming out of my stator? Doesn't anyone else think that is not good for a lot of things?

·
Registered
383 Posts
The stator is wet....and so the plug can leak if the O-ring shrinks and fails to seal properly. Not a big thing at all. Pull the plug, change the O-ring (on the plug) and you are golden!
The stator is WET? Are you serious. So if I remove the stator cover... Oil will come out. That would mean that the Magnets and the Coils are in oil to? I can't believe that. I was going to remove the cover tonight to look at my magnets, but now IDK.

·
Registered
875 Posts
The stator is WET? Are you serious. So if I remove the stator cover... Oil will come out. That would mean that the Magnets and the Coils are in oil to? I can't believe that. I was going to remove the cover tonight to look at my magnets, but now IDK.
Yes, they are covered in oil.

I actually have the exact same problem with my SV. Today I removed the plug, cleaned it up and reassembled. We'll see if that helps, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I just did it because I thought it might have been loose, but it seems that the previous owner had already tried to fix it.

·
N of Atlanta
7,697 Posts
Listen to Longhair. :msn-wink:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A suggestion from Mr. Schmidt was to lean the bike against a wall on the right when you pull the stator cover and only a tiny bit of oil will leak out. It has oil in there, but it isn't very high up on the parts.....just enough to lubricate and, more importantly cool them.

·
Mile eater
2,793 Posts
Put a blue paper towel over the key that you remove the plug with. Make sure it's seated all the way in before trying to crack it loose. That way you won't bugger it up. Take the plug and old o ring to the hardware store and get a new one. A tiny bit thicker will solve the problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another quick and dirty (AKA short term) fix is to remove the plug and look at the O-ring. If it is NOT damaged, you should see that the cross section is no longer round. If you carefully take it off and turn it around and re-install, iit will seal for a SHORT time before it takes a new shape and leaks again. Of course you should clean the seal surfaces on the plug and the housing for best results. This stopped my leak while I waited for a new O-ring to arrive. A caution about hardware store O-rings: Unless you know which rubber compound they are made of don't consider them a long term replacement. Many at the hardware store are compounded for water service and have a very short life in hot oil. Ask if they are Nitrile rubber or Viton. Those will work in hot oil.
Blue Skies
Butler

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is there a trick to removing the plug. I have been trying to loosen it for a while now. Seems REALLY REALLY tight.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Is there a trick to removing the plug. I have been trying to loosen it for a while now. Seems REALLY REALLY tight.
It is really, really tight. A friend of mine bought a new plug after removing the old one made a mess out of it.

He also installed a new O-ring (probably Suzuki OEM, but I'm not 100% sure), but the leak persisted.

D.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I had mine out when checking the valves and found it just a tad tight too. Had a new metric hex-key socket set on hand which fit the plug nice and tight so I was able to put some serious effort to it without damage. What kind of tools do you have to remove it? What ever you use....best to make sure it fits very tightly and then put the muscle to it....preferably with a sharp impact or snap to get it to break loose. Tapping on the wrench or socket with a small hammer while applying the force can help too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discovered the same leak on mine yesterday. Happy to see it's not a big dealof a job to do, and not that much important.

And it does a little *click-a-clack-a-click* when warm and clutch out makes it worse. Sound is coming from the stator cover. Or at least, the left side of the bike (when i sit on it).

·
Registered
513 Posts
replaced o ring and still weeps if i dont wash it for a couple weeks. think the oil stores itself inside the cap on sidestand then creeps out when your not lookin just like a step daughter late at nite

·
N of Atlanta
7,697 Posts
replaced o ring and still weeps if i dont wash it for a couple weeks. think the oil stores itself inside the cap on sidestand then creeps out when your not lookin just like a step daughter late at nite
lol ......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Holy thread revival batman! :ROFLMAO::LOL: I know!! Can someone verify if the left side bolt is a T55 torx head? Tried a 10mm Allen but it was obviously not correct so I stopped. Have a T50 but it was much too small. Thanks!! Wish I would have read about sticking a towel around the bit as I kinda jacked mine up already.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,149 Posts
Holy thread revival batman! :ROFLMAO::LOL: I know!! Can someone verify if the left side bolt is a T55 torx head? Tried a 10mm Allen but it was obviously not correct so I stopped. Have a T50 but it was much too small. Thanks!! Wish I would have read about sticking a towel around the bit as I kinda jacked mine up already.
It is an Allen when new.
-ms

21 - 40 of 42 Posts