SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Ive narrowed my next bike purchase between these 2 bikes. I was only looking at the 650 but a 1000 (07)came up, with low km's and in my price range.
I'm new to road bikes, well its been 30 years since I've owned one and that was only a gpz550. A drz400 is all Ive had for the last 10 or so years.
90% of my driving will be just commuting, with weekend cruises, probably 200km tops. I'm not a big guy 5'10 ,165lbs so I was thinking the 650 would be fine(most likely is) but(always a but) the 10% or so 2 up riding. Wifes short,around 130, comes on back with the drz but that get old pretty quick(kinda like us). I'm thinking the 1000 would handle the 2up riding better and the single riding just as good as the 650, seeing as I'm just looking to commute around.
Are the riding positions similar, or is one more sporty then the other, looking to be more upright.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,786 Posts
The 650 will pillion well, they are under-rated as far as that sort of thing goes, just as long as you are not trying to race...ha ha....
The 1000 kills the pillion roll.....done some stupid twisties with a pillion.....the extra torque is the grin inducer there......

·
Registered
8 Posts
650 more nimble, better on gas, non-adjustable stock suspension.

1000 has more acceleration, not as good on gas, suspension has some adjustability, better noise with the gear driven cams and increased displacement, valves easier to adjust because of the gear driven cams, flywheel magnets and clutch basket will need attention, once they are fixed they are fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been reading alittle on the rotor magnets, doesnt seem like to big a job as long as they havnt moved or gone all together, same with the green connector.The 1000 Im looking at has around 40k km(24ish miles), the 650 is a 09 with 33k km,will see n acouple days.

·
Registered
05 sv1k
31 Posts
I have owned a drz400 too. great bike cant believe you ride it two up. the 650 will seem like a huge upgrade. I currently own an 05sv1000. It will feel like a rocket ship. I mean warp drive scotty. You would be better off on the 650 for now. If the bike really appeals to you drive it a few years and then uograde to a 1000. My 1000 is the naughty bike in the garage. I also currently have a 93 vfr750 and a 04 ninja 250. So I've got both ends of the spectrum.

·
Registered
05 sv1k
31 Posts
are you keeping the drz? At the time i had mine it was my only bike. Light off road was fun but not any great highway distance. Wish i still had it just for fun. I never tried it 2up. After 35 years of different bikes i can say each had good and bad points but every one was fun to ride. Hope you enjoy whichever bike you choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kinda sold it(drz) to my son, theres getting less and less dirt roads and places to enjoy it. I imagine he will flip it for a profit soon enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts