SV Portal Forums banner
301 - 306 of 306 Posts

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,064 Posts
................ I'm lucky to get 37 mpg but I know the PO has it tuned rich. It doesn't run super hot though like Harleys are known for.
Keep an eye on your oil.....excessive fueling can contaminate the oil through blow-by, and also wash cylinder lubrication off

· Registered
108 Posts
Ok boys she fired up!! FI light at first but figured it was till the air in the gas line worked out. Went around the block a few times. Got up to 220° & the fan came on & starting going down. Was smoking alot but think it was just old oil burning off the exhaust.
So I topped off the oil as I wanna run it a little to get the magnet particles into the oil filter. How long should I run it before dumping the old oil? 100 miles? Less?

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,064 Posts
Less...whatever is going to shift to the filter will be pretty quick, anything else is sticking around....may over time migrate....but 50 miles would be the max....
You could put some engine clean in and idle it up to the fan kicking in from cold too to give her a clean out, then dump the oil, drain the filter, then put the plug back in ,and the old filter too....run it until the oil light (FI) comes on, shut her down and then dump the dregs out.....probably get another 2 cups out...and follow it with some fresh oil before you put the plug in.....couple of cups to scavenge the sump helps....

· KNEE DRAGGER
5,238 Posts
Flushing with oil doesn’t typically get too much magnet debris out of e gone. The magnet debris sticks to everything steel in the engine…. You should clean out the pick up screen and cavity though as I typically see a bunch of the epoxy chunks stuck in the cavity and screen.

As far as mileage. I have found in many cases where people get crazy good mileage, that they have changed their gearing and the Speedo/odo runs way optimistic and offsets the actually mpg by a bunch.

-ms

· Registered
108 Posts
Ok sounds good. A trip to work & back is about 55 miles although its gonna be raining the next couple of days. Went for a quick 2nd ride & she feels good. Seems more responsive, only went up to about 7k rpm but looking forward to cracking her open soon.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,064 Posts
Keep the joy out of your wrist until the full oil change....

Reactions: Pantera93
301 - 306 of 306 Posts