SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone ride two up much here. i dont much, but the few times i have i noticed it was pretty uncomfortable for the passenger and myself. being that i am a fairly slim person the is quiet a bit of room from my back to the passenger seat. does anyone have any tips for a more comfortable ride?

·
L-Plate rider
2,235 Posts
You could always get fatter... :niceone:

Just kidding. I always found the SV seat uncomfortable, so I could only imagine how terrible the passenger seat is...

·
More fun than
1,060 Posts
i don't know how tall you are, but i would venture to say that you may be sitting to far forward in the first place. i know that the first thing that an instructor told me was to scoot back. i am fairly tall and the factory peg postition causes me to slide forward. i put on a zx-10 rear and that extra bit of height made my ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
886 Posts
yes, you almost have to remind yourself to keep atleast 1 inch between your crotch and the tank.

abus......zx10 rear shock w/out any lower links?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Convertibars - put a crapload of rise and rearward shift on the clip-ons so that you can ride up and back in your seat.

Put them back down to wherever you like once the passenger is off.

Worked for me!

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
does anyone ride two up much here. i dont much, but the few times i have i noticed it was pretty uncomfortable for the passenger and myself. being that i am a fairly slim person the is quiet a bit of room from my back to the passenger seat. does anyone have any tips for a more comfortable ride?
I am a bit confused when you say it becomes a bit uncomfortable ? There are a number of things you can do to make it a better experience for you and your pillion. Firstly try to get your pillion not to lean on you. A pillion pal will work wonders (belt with handles). Under hard braking get your pillion to put the palm of their hands against the tank taking their weight without squashing you. Get them to sit square and not move in the corners. A few rides putting these into practice will work wonders for your and your pillions comfort. When I have my wife on the back I do not even know she is there ! Except when I go crazy and then I get a punch in the kidneys ! :lol:

·
More fun than
1,060 Posts
abus......zx10 rear shock w/out any lower links?
yep, i put it on with intentions of getting the lowering links. the problem is i love it like this. handling is so much better than with the stock shock, that i haven't noticed the decreased rake. i am a couple inches over six feet and every bit of 230 geared up. i have pretty meaty legs as well. it was almost impossible for me to get into the right position at the stock height. (butt back, toes on the pegs) i was planning on some type of peg mod to get a little more room. but i didn't want my pegs closer to the ground and there isn't much room to go back at this height. i have the gsxr forks and they are a couple of millimeters lower than the triple. i am going to the dragon this weekend, so i should have a good chance to test it out.

btw it was an 06 zx10r shock

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have passengers often. being a slim guy myself i know exactly where you're coming from!

the best thig i've found is that have whoevers in the back to lean-in as close to you as possible while keeping their but on their own seat! i also always tell them to remember to "lean as i lean"....makes everything especially the handling much smoother!

once they get a feel for what to do and want to sit up (or if you have a guy in the back and don't want to look queer by having him holding on to u) u can always tell them to slide back and hold the little handle in the back (blanked on the name for it...)

also, since it's sort of relevant, ALWAYS make sure you have passenger liability insurance 'cause you never know... :cool:

and don't do anything unexpected (aka wheelie, quick acceleration, etc..)....a female friend had a little accident when a mini low speed wheelie was popped (i didn't mean to do it..i swear!! :buggerd: )....luckily non got on the bike...but i wouldnt risk it....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My wife won't even try to ride on the SV. Shed rather remind me on how selfish I am that I bought a bike for myself. Instead I kept my 98 Bandit, and even then she hates the stock seat and will have a sore back afterward. So I picked up a Corbin Gunfighter&lady for when she tags along. It keeps her from slidling foward, and she's good up to about 100 miles. We went 150 last Sunday, and the fun meter curve dropped off drasticly for her on the way back. So she's good for awhile,(probably the rest of the year) and its back to solo riding.

·
750 mile a week Commuter
434 Posts
I'm 6ft 5 and my partner is 6ft.

Prior to getting a pillion pal belt, my partner was very uncomfortable.

Now with the pillion pal, she is very happy to be a pillion on the SV.

She has found it far better for me to wear the pillion pal backwards so the buckle is at the back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there are a lot of good suggestion here, for that thanks. i agree that it is kinda hard to keep an inch back. but i notice the passenger still falls down into my seat a lot. and yes she know how to ride. she did a lot better on the old z1000. so is there a web site for this pillion pal belt?

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
Date a girl that grew up riding horses, worked wonders for me. She just sits up straight and does most of the work with her legs.
Are we still talking about riding pillion? :niceone:
Actually YES.

I've said it before. The best pilion rider that I've ever had was a Grand Prix Jumper rider. And other horse women that I've had riding pillion were w/o doubt better passengers than most. They have an understanding of, and an ability to execute "centered riding", as well as the balance, leg muscles, and reaction time, that keep them from pushing you onto the tank (or even clicking helmets for that matter). Jumper riders, in petucular, because they are taught to look to where they want to go, so they tend to look into the turns correctly.

As far as where to place yourself....
I'm a flyweight. And I notice differences in how my bike handles with less fuel in it, over how it feels with a full tank. 30lbs of fuel is a large percentage of weight to have leave the front of the bike. So I find myself getting right up on the tank as I get around a 100 miles on that fill up. And by 120, I'm kissing my mirrors, just to keep the weight bias closer to the same. With a pillion, I tend to sit closer to the tank just to offset their weight being so far back.

Bottom line is, ride where you feel most balanced as a whole unit with the bike. Screw whatever someone else tells you, if it doesn't instill confidence.

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,206 Posts
I fixed mine by buying this! :niceone:

Thankfully the sissy bar is removable and is only on the bike when she is! :niceone: I HATE sissy bars!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey, i like the crusiers and all, but i ride my sv to work and back every day. i am always solo and my comfort is number one to me and me alone and i like the feel of the sv. but just every now and again i would like to take my girlfriend with me when i ride with the guys. i would just like it to be a little more enjoyable for both of us. by the way i am 6'1'' 180lbs.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Honestly I know exactly what you mean. I tried many ways of getting my girlfriend comfy (we did a 1000 mile weekend ride before I made any mods and I have NO IDEA how she handled it... and she doesn't want to go through that again).

I've tried all kinds of stuff.

I bought another seat for myself with the intention of adding foam at the back so that she could slide off the passenger seat and onto the back of mine. I never completed the seat.

I did add foam to the passenger seat. That worked great for comfort.

That anti-slip thing from e-bay only worked so-so.

I thought of buying a custom made seat that integrates both rider and passenger into a single seat but didn't go for it.

Finally I went for Convertibars and raised the clip-ons high and back. Voila, I'm sitting upright with my butt near the back of the seat. She's upright and not sliding into the front seat, and her neck isn't cranked and her head isn't butting mine. You could say it's a first-step conversion to a DL-1000 VStrom.

Plus, after a week of getting used to the bike I'm railing through corners just as fast or faster than I ever did. Of course, the point of the convertibars is so that I can reconvert to super-sport ergos in a jiffy.

So... that's it from my side. Happy rider and passenger.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.