SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I listed a similar posting and received a ton of helpful pointers! Many thanks.
I am due to look at a 2003 SV 1ks to possibly buy. I was on the 405 freeway in Southern Cali and saw an Aprilia RSV roaring on the HOV lane.

It was obviously a V-Twin. My question is does anyone here know about maintenance costs for these bikes? I was deterred from buying an older model Ducati because I was told that the maintenance costs would be prohibitively expensive.

Anyone here care to comment?

Thanks again in advance!

FSA

·
fairweather softie
800 Posts
From all accounts the mille lump is a reliable one but getting spares for the aprillia can be erratic (a mate had one and had to wait for an age for any geniune parts to arrive) I'd say the SV would be the more reliable but I'm sure the Aprillia would stir the soul more - which rules you more - Head (then go for the SV) or heart (Aprillia)

who said bikes were meant to make sense

·
Just a guy with an SV1K
920 Posts
RSV is certainly an extremely well developed V-twin that will have top-end a stock SV can only dream of. If you decide on the SV, then use some of the money you saved and do some airbox mods and add nice end-cans to let out that V-twin soul Suzuki-style!

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,729 Posts
IMHO, you'll likely pay more for maintenance and upkeep on the RSV vs. the SV1000. I have no first-hand knowledge of the maintenance requirements on the Aprilias but the SV1000 is virtually maintenance-free and you can easily do most of it yourself using this wonderful site as a resource.:yes:

Good luck in whatever you decide.:niceone:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is the Priller going to be more expensive in maintenance? Well, of course. I mean, shoot, you can hop down to the corner bike shop and grab a Fram filter (PH6018) for your SV. Think the same holds true for the RSV?

If you can only get one bike, I'd recommend the SV. If you can have more than one, well, problem solved. :)

(I say this as the owner of an SV1000 and a Ducati S4R, by the way.)

·
Registered
363 Posts
My last bike was a 2004 Rsv Factory
Engine is a peach
Handling was second to none and I never had any reliability issues
Physically feels a lot bigger than the SV
At the end of he day you have to make up your own mind

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Not to be a smartass but if you really want to know what a Aprillia will cost to maintain the surest way to find out is to call an Aprilia dealer or visit an Aprilia forum.
Be sure though that you compare apples to apples. Take a good look at what exactly they call for in their maintenance schedule vs Suzuki. I remember doing this once with Ducati and noticing that the schedule called for quite a few things more frequently such as coolant change and brake fluid flushes. Sometimes I wonder if those things need to be done all that frequently or if there are some other reasons they are spec'd so often, such as liability. And of course some of those things get ignored.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Visit an Aprillia board and search "starter sprag failure". Not a big deal to fix but a common occurence on some models.
Many parts cross reference to Ducs and others, everything's easy to find with the interwebs. And there probably is a Fram that fits it.
Enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts