SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on Stromtrooper as well but thought I might post here as well as it’s a bit of a hybrid situation.

This is a continuation of an earlier post on my 02 DL1000 that died due to oil drain plug popping out while driving RIP.

last week I was able to trade an older project bike that I had sitting around for a package deal that included a 2004 DL1000 that had been swapped with an SV engine and the old DLengine that was swapped out.

hoping to swap in the DL motor to my bike eventually but for now I am focusing on the SV strom since it is actually running but needs sorting.

a little background on the bike, 2004 SV1000 motor, 2-1 Borla exhaust, K&N filter, TBs are swapped from the DL as the person who did the swap said the SV TBs were to large to fit the DL air box. The PO did the fuel pump filter bypass and installed an external filter. For the purposes of testing I have fitted my known good tank and pump on to the SV for now.

PO had a PCFC on it. I haven’t messed with it but it seems to be functional. In looking for maps for it I couldn’t find a PCFC for the SV but they do make one for the DL so I’m thinking it’s from before the swap but seems to work? Idk.

symptoms are as follows:

The idle fluctuates a bit. I tried to set it close to 1200 but it fluctuates 100-200 it seems.

have to hold or blip the throttle for a min or two to get it to hold idle.

when riding, it has some serious hesitation, in the lower rpm’s, almost feels like a mis. Seems to work okay as I wind it out but I have been weary about taking it too far from home as of yet. It’s kind of scary cuz I’ll be trying to accelerate and it’s just not doing it and then it will take off like crazy. Definitely dont want that in the twisties.

Also seems to backfire through the intake pretty often.

things I have already done.

secured the rear air box boot that was loose. That helped everything quite a bit.

adjusted TPS, seemed to help a bit.

TB sync

added tighter hoses to the TBS ports to try and mitigate any leakage there.

things I am looking at doing.

Pair Valve block off.

changing plugs

checking valve clearance and adjusting if necessary.

adjusting the PCFC map

anything else I should look at test or try before I get into the nitty gritty?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In doing a little more digging on this project I learned that in doing the swap or at some point the PO swapped the DL rear intake cam over to the SV engine. He didn’t mention doing this to the front only the rear because the camshaft sensor for the DL was needed for the ECU. From my understanding the cams are a little different between the DL and the SV so thinking this may cause balance issues between the cylinders at the very least. Not sure how much of a concern this is but I have read about a guy on here that pressed a steel rod into the SV cam roughly in the position of the DL sensor. Wondering about this option as I had plans to use the DL motor in my other bike and would like to use that cam if possible. Also I feel like having the SV cam in would be a better fit for the engine anyway.

anyone familiar with this system or any suggestions about moving the camshaft sensor pin to be compatible with the DL ECU?

I have both camshafts so finding the correct position should be as simple as carefully measuring it’s position on the DL shaft and getting the pin in that spot. Sounds easy right? 😅

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
i think that oldbaldsob or schmidt314 are gonna be the go too guys on what to do.... (Mr Schmidt has built race engines and the like)

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
There are several fundamental issues that are different between the DL1000 and SV1000.

DL1000 throttle bodies on an SV1000 engine will not do it any good. They are much smaller and use a significantly different injector which has a very different total flow rate from the SV. The manifold will swap but they will not port match up at all as the intake port opening on the heads are different sizes.

What wire harness and ECU are being used? The STV control on the DL throttle bodies is completely different than the SV also.

The mag pick up points are very different in number due to different ECU input requirements. Is your engine using the SV rotor or the DL rotor?

The 03/04 SV1000 did use a cam position sensor like all pre 2014 DL1000s. The sensor is the same, but the phase of the pick up pin is very different on the rear intake cams. DL1000 cams are significantly less lift and duration than the SV cams. If you only swapped in the one cam, this is definitely going to make the cylinders run different front to back. I have moved the pins several times when building DL engines with SV1000 cams.

DL1000s use different ignition timing and lower rev limits. SV engine has more compression.

-ms

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I’ll tell you what I “think I know”

the rotor/flywheel is from a 04 DL. The throttle bodies are from that DL also I have the SV TBs but they are complete garbage. I know for sure or at least was told he switched out the rear intake cam because of the sensor differences.

I am pretty sure it’s the DL harness. But I’m not sure. Not sure how I would tell. I have another harness in the spare box and the SV gauge cluster. If I new what to look for I could probably take a closer look at it.

from what I was told the just switched out that cam and the SV cam is now in then DL spare motor that I have. I’d have to pull it out of there and make whatever adjustments I’d need to get that to work. I’d like to confirm the other cams as well while I’m in there. They may all be from the DL. I will say as I was checking the clearance earlier the front cams lined up as they should but when I went to check the rear the cam lobes were positioned correctly but the scribe marks were way off when lined up with the R/T mark for checking valve clearance.

I also did a compression test and leakdown test.

compression was pretty low 125ish per side but that was on a cold engine with the throttle closed. Still
Seems low though.

leakdown was 20% also cold. Seems like blow by past the rings. I haven’t run a wet test yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Schmidt314

how would i go about checking the cams to determine which are SV and which are DL and what is the process for moving the cam position sensor? I’d like to run the SV motor as close as possible to how it should be run.

I know I have a project ahead of me but I’m willing to do the work. If it makes a difference the PO added a power commander FC so I can adjust that as needed as well for fuel compensation.

what can I do?

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Schmidt314

how would i go about checking the cams to determine which are SV and which are DL and what is the process for moving the cam position sensor? I’d like to run the SV motor as close as possible to how it should be run.

I know I have a project ahead of me but I’m willing to do the work. If it makes a difference the PO added a power commander FC so I can adjust that as needed as well for fuel compensation.

what can I do?
You definitely are then running on the DL wire harness.

Cam timing marks not supposed to line up at TDC on rear cylinder, only when on front TDC. After front cams go in at front TDC, you rotate engine 360 degrees back to front TDC and then install rear cams.

20% leak down is huge. Even with engine cold. I would investigate that before going much further.

Grab your service manuals and find the measurements spec for total height of cam from back of base circle to tip. Huge delta between SV and DL cams.

I have another set of SV1000 cams here with a rephased cam position sensor pin that have a set of new adjustable cam gears I would be willing to sell, but they won’t be cheap due to the adjustable gears.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
.............20% leak down is huge. Even with engine cold. I would investigate that before going much further....................
Could tha have anything to do with the wrong cam in it ?
Or was it both cylinders down that much ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You definitely are then running on the DL wire harness.

Cam timing marks not supposed to line up at TDC on rear cylinder, only when on front TDC. After front cams go in at front TDC, you rotate engine 360 degrees back to front TDC and then install rear cams.

20% leak down is huge. Even with engine cold. I would investigate that before going much further.

Grab your service manuals and find the measurements spec for total height of cam from back of base circle to tip. Huge delta between SV and DL cams.

I have another set of SV1000 cams here with a rephased cam position sensor pin that have a set of new adjustable cam gears I would be willing to sell, but they won’t be cheap due to the adjustable gears.

-ms
how not cheap are we talking? I want the bike to run well but not wanting to dump tons of money into it either.

is that something I could do? I have (or im pretty sure I have) the original SV cam. Perhaps I myself or a local machine shop could handle relocating the pin. Or if it’s something you have experience with would you possibly be open to me sending you my SV cam for the pin relocation? I would pay you of course.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
how not cheap are we talking? I want the bike to run well but not wanting to dump tons of money into it either.

is that something I could do? I have (or im pretty sure I have) the original SV cam. Perhaps I myself or a local machine shop could handle relocating the pin. Or if it’s something you have experience with would you possibly be open to me sending you my SV cam for the pin relocation? I would pay you of course.
$800 for the cams set with modified pin and new installed adjustable gear set.

My machinist does the cams for me so I assume you could find someone to to it.

Definitely you need to look into the leak down. A true 20% is quite bad. At what position in the stroke are you taking your measurements at?

-ms

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just checked the cams. The rear intake cam was about 1mm smaller
$800 for the cams set with modified pin and new installed adjustable gear set.

My machinist does the cams for me so I assume you could find someone to to it.

Definitely you need to look into the leak down. A true 20% is quite bad. At what position in the stroke are you taking your measurements at?

-ms
Yeah that’s a bit spendy for me. Ill take a look locally.

the leakdown was run at TDC on compression stroke. For each cylinder so front cylinder was on the F/T mark with lobes opposed. \ / rear was 270 deg rotation beyond that at the R/T mark I believe.

I went ahead and removed the DL cam and swapped it with the SV cam today because I’m planning on using the DL motor in my other DL with the blown motor. Upon inspection the SV cam doesn’t have a pin at all so it must be from a later model?

either way im going to look into getting the pin moved.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Just checked the cams. The rear intake cam was about 1mm smaller

Yeah that’s a bit spendy for me. Ill take a look locally.

the leakdown was run at TDC on compression stroke. For each cylinder so front cylinder was on the F/T mark with lobes opposed. \ / rear was 270 deg rotation beyond that at the R/T mark I believe.

I went ahead and removed the DL cam and swapped it with the SV cam today because I’m planning on using the DL motor in my other DL with the blown motor. Upon inspection the SV cam doesn’t have a pin at all so it must be from a later model?

either way im going to look into getting the pin moved.
If the rear intake cam does not have a pin, it is from a 2005-2007 engine.

-ms

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little bit of an update. Sent the SV cam out to get the DL pin placement for the camshaft sensor.

still need to run another leakdown test to determine if cylinders are okay.

one thought I had while going though this bike is “I wonder if I need a manual for the SV as well. I have a manual that covers TL and DL up to 04. I know there are a few differences between the bikes but I was hoping I could get by without buying a separate manual when 90% of it will be either the same or not relevant since only the bare motor is from the sv.

my plan as of now is to get the cams worked out and valves to spec and put an SV throttle body on it since it was running on a DL.

anybody know if the SV throttle body and injectors will work with the DL ECU? I do have a power commander FC but not sure what issues that might introduce.

·
Registered
1 Posts
while riding, it has some serious dithering, in the lower rpm's, nearly feels like a mis. Appears to work OK as I wind it out however I have been tired about taking it excessively far from home at this point. It's sort of terrifying cuz I'll be attempting to speed up and it's simply not making it happen and afterward it will take off like there's no tomorrow.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Little bit of an update. Sent the SV cam out to get the DL pin placement for the camshaft sensor.

still need to run another leakdown test to determine if cylinders are okay.

one thought I had while going though this bike is “I wonder if I need a manual for the SV as well. I have a manual that covers TL and DL up to 04. I know there are a few differences between the bikes but I was hoping I could get by without buying a separate manual when 90% of it will be either the same or not relevant since only the bare motor is from the sv.

my plan as of now is to get the cams worked out and valves to spec and put an SV throttle body on it since it was running on a DL.

anybody know if the SV throttle body and injectors will work with the DL ECU? I do have a power commander FC but not sure what issues that might introduce.
The SV throttle bodies are not compatible with the DL ECU due different STV set ups.

-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Would removing the stv take care of this?

seems like a lot of people do it anyway for benefit. The DL TBs that came on the bike as well as the trashed rusty SV set that also came with it both had secondaries removed
Would need some of eliminator so that the ECU thinks its still there ???

The link below gives you the 03/04 service manual....there is a supplemental one for 05 up too, second link

SV1000 Service manual

05 supplementary

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,219 Posts
Would removing the stv take care of this?

seems like a lot of people do it anyway for benefit. The DL TBs that came on the bike as well as the trashed rusty SV set that also came with it both had secondaries removed
No, the drive mechanics, actuator positioner, and position sensor are different.

-ms

1 - 20 of 20 Posts