SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post on here so be nice.
I've had my SV for a couple years now an I love it.
Made a few minor improvements like a TRE, tail tidy/under-tray, integrated tail light/indicators, scorpion cans, chin fairing, renthal flats, new levers, that sort of stuff, but now I'm after going a bit more adventurous !
I'm after extending and routing my exhaust pipes to sit the cans under my seat unit so they stick out either side of my number plate.
I've had a quote for doing this for £300-400.
£400 bring worse case scenario as the fella wasn't sure if some of the stainless pipe was double skinned or not ?!?
Now if money was no object it would be in there getting done right now, but I think my missus would cut my balls off and feed them to me if I went and spent that sort of money on "that stupid bike" ! Why doesn't she understand ???
So anyway, my questions are, has anyone had this done or done it themselves ? Any top tips ? Any issues or problems to watch out for ? And finally, anybody know anyone in the Essex (Chelmsford) area that does this sort of thing (at affordable prices)
Thanks in advance everyone ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Got the same done a few yrs back, its very straight forward it cost me about 300 Euros as Im in Ireland. I got the flanges cut off and the link pipes welded on as can be seen in the pictures. I also used Chewys Slip on Adapters so the cans would fit onto the link pipes and I also got the Cans angled inwards towards the reg plate the link pipes are single skinned and I added 7 inch heat shields I also got the bike re mapped to compensate for the changes thats all I can thinkk of hope that helps ...

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
M4 sell a 2 into 1 high mount system on ebay. Quite pricy, but you could sell your scorpions to me to help fund the purchase :niceone:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that is a bit pricey ?
I'm after keeping the twin can look as well tbh ! That's one of the things I like best on the bike.
There's a pair of polished chrome scorpion cans on eBay now tho, used, £149 with free delivery if you're looking to buy !?!.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lovely job on the pipes Mrjay !
That's exactly what I'm after doing. I've got a number of a friend of a friend who can possibly help me out with the bending /cutting/welding side of things. Really good to know it can be done with single skinned pipe.
Can I ask where you got the heat shields and how they are fitted ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah that is a bit pricey ?
I'm after keeping the twin can look as well tbh ! That's one of the things I like best on the bike.
There's a pair of polished chrome scorpion cans on eBay now tho, used, £149 with free delivery if you're looking to buy !?!.
Yeah I saw those, they are dog sh*t rough though! Scratched, dented and ruined near the base on one :niceone:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Lovely job on the pipes Mrjay !
That's exactly what I'm after doing. I've got a number of a friend of a friend who can possibly help me out with the bending /cutting/welding side of things. Really good to know it can be done with single skinned pipe.
Can I ask where you got the heat shields and how they are fitted ?[/QU

I got the Heat Shields on ebay they are held on with metal hose clamps which came with them - I will get them welded on when I get a chance ...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is the remapping essential after getting it done ??? Will it make that much of a difference ???
Not essential, I would get it done either way, its the best money that you will ever spend on your bike thats for sure :msn-wink:

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a little update....new hanger brackets made and fitted so the cans are sitting where I want them now, got a bloke coming to look at it Wednesday and price up getting the link pipes done ? Getting excited now !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
looks really good - did you think of shortening your cans ? - my cans have been shortened I prefer how they look now and they dont stick out from the back of the bike as much plus they sound a lot better that bit shorter with out being too loud - are you going to cut off the flanges or leave them on ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I did think about shortening the cans as I have a slight dent at the end of one which would be nice to get rid of. I had a look into and it pretty much looks like you knock the rivets out, cut them down and re rivet the ends back on ! Is it really that simple ???
The plan is that the flanges are gonna be cut off as well as the double skinned section of pipe and he's going to make new flanges on the extended pipe to bolt the cans too. The pipes on either side are different sizes and arranged differently arnt they so he said it's a little fiddly but easily do-able ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Shortening the cans is easy, just like you said - there are loads of how to videos on you tube - its very straight forward. Not sure about the pipes being different sizes on either side. You dont need to make new flanges - do what I did buy Chewys Slip on adapters - the cans bolt to one end as normal and the other end bolts to the link pipe

Chewy's stuff - high quality motorcycle enhancements

what your looking for is the 6th down on the LHS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying, thought if replied but it didn't go on for some reason ?!?
Yeah I looked into shortening the cans, think I might do that at a later date. It looks easy enough, is it just a case of dismantling, cutting down then rebuilding ?
On the flanges, yeah I think he's gonna make new flanges in the end of the new link pipes !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now I look silly coz my reply had gone through but my phone hadn't updated for some reason ?
Looked at the slip ones, that would make it a lot more straight forward.
So did you buy 2 pairs of them for either end of your new link pipes ? Or did you weld one end to the existing pipes and use one pair at the end with the cans ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Now I look silly coz my reply had gone through but my phone hadn't updated for some reason ?
Looked at the slip ones, that would make it a lot more straight forward.
So did you buy 2 pairs of them for either end of your new link pipes ? Or did you weld one end to the existing pipes and use one pair at the end with the cans ?
No welding required - just buy a set ie 2 Slip on adaptors - bolt an adaptor to each can and then slip the adaptor onto the link pipe on either side & tighten the bolt - job done

·
Registered
20 Posts
Joe of your going getting bolt on cans I might be interested in buying your bolt ons if the price is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts