SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on a sv1000s that’s giving me problems bike cranks and you can hear it backfire on start the fuel pump primes, after trying to start you can smell the gas but it won’t stay on.did change spark plugs/it is getting spark.checked for vacuum leaks and didn’t find any.also in dealer mode it doesn’t give me any codes c00 bike has a new battery too

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
Have the cams been out and not been re-timed properly ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also noticed that when I disconnect the stator and crank the bike on it sounds stronger then when the stator is hooked up did check ohms on stator was getting 0.5 on all 3 and nothing to ground

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
First thing....the secondary butterflies shouldn't be wide open when starting....... when you hit the kill switch, they should cycle through a range, and then settle about half open...
When they are wide open like that, the sensor should give you 4.38ohms adjust to suit.........check out the SV manual on manualslib.com for all the things to check....

At the moment the bike thinks you are going full tilt at idle......so check why that STVA is not bringing the secondaries back to the correct position.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked ohms for the stva In the close position I was getting 0.66 and in the open position I was getting 4.9ohms and checked voltage at opening was getting 4.5v and 0.5 on valves closed tested as how the manual said adjust stvp sensor but no change to the valves on start

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
schmidt314 or RecoilRob may be able to throw some ideas at his one.....it will be solveable ......dont give up

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,146 Posts
First thing....the secondary butterflies shouldn't be wide open when starting....... when you hit the kill switch, they should cycle through a range, and then settle about half open...
When they are wide open like that, the sensor should give you 4.38ohms adjust to suit.........check out the SV manual on manualslib.com for all the things to check....

At the moment the bike thinks you are going full tilt at idle......so check why that STVA is not bringing the secondaries back to the correct position.....
Cold start up actually requires the STVs to be near fully open. This is what ramps the high idler on. Once it starts up and runs a bit the the STVs will slowly roll closed.
-ms

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,146 Posts
Checked ohms for the stva In the close position I was getting 0.66 and in the open position I was getting 4.9ohms and checked voltage at opening was getting 4.5v and 0.5 on valves closed tested as how the manual said adjust stvp sensor but no change to the valves on start
You might run a leak down test and make sure internal engine health is good.
-ms

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
Cold start up actually requires the STVs to be near fully open. This is what ramps the high idler on. Once it starts up and runs a bit the the STVs will slowly roll closed.
-ms
Yeah, i realised i stuffed that one up late yesterday, but haven't been back till now....sorry to Leonel270 for the misguide on that one.....

It has 14k miles I did do a compression test had 145 on one and 150 but will try a leak down test

Is it possible the injector couplers have been mixed front to rear ?

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,766 Posts
When I rebuilt my crashed '05 after it had been sitting outside exposed to the elements for four years, the front cylinder was so gunked up with carbon causing wildly off valve clearances, I doubt it would have run without cleaning it with Gumout (props to Recoil Rob for the recommendation).

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,605 Posts
Woudl assume that an oil change after use of this would be a good idea ?

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,766 Posts
Woudl assume that an oil change after use of this would be a good idea ?
You bet! I ran some cheap motorcycle oil through it until my radiator fan came on then put new synthetic oil in and replaced the oil filter. It runs as good now as the day I bought it new! :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts