Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Official picture: 2009 Suzuki Gladius

By Chris Newbigging

New bikes

25 September 2008 13:51

The second new motorcycle revealed by Suzuki in Paris is the Gladius 650.

Based on the Suzuki SV650’s v-twin engine, the Gladius is aimed at a more novice audience.

Suzuki has revealed little about the bike - the frame appears to be a combination of steel trellis and an alloy casting, with basic suspension and brakes to keep the price down.

The engine is a modified version of the latest twin-plug SV650 engine – it’s not clear whether the engine is detuned.

Click back for more details when Suzuki reveals them.

source: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...sep2508-Official-picture-2009-Suzuki-Gladius/

·
I've seen bigger...
3,542 Posts
it's not.... bad looking. Interesting.

·
Crazy Old Foole
7,329 Posts
It looks like a Suzuki version of the 600 Monster.......not that that is a bad thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not really a fan of it. I think the only I like about it are the wheels.

·
She shoots, what a !!!!!
8,412 Posts
It looks like a Suzuki version of the 600 Monster.......not that that is a bad thing.
Just going to say the same thing, very Ducati esque....I wonder if it is just another Europe only bike or if we will see it as well...

·
L-Plate rider
2,235 Posts
Wow, I really like it!! The colors (although the same Suzuki colors) look refreshingly new. :D

If that comes here, I just might have to pick one up (pending performance information and all that).

·
Hunting the Red Baron
7,061 Posts
I bet it never sees American soil.

I like it.

What was the first new bike?

·
I STILL love twins!
13,004 Posts
I bet it never sees American soil.

I like it.

What was the first new bike?
I think the first bike is the new GSXR1000. As for the Gladiator I like the bike but not so fond of that shade of blue.

Curious if they will keep the SV650 as it still sells well. If not this likely would replace it?? Cant see the need for two 650 twins but then again Suzuki does some strange things.:blink:

·
Mentally Disturbed
1,737 Posts
It is different but but cant say I like

·
I've seen bigger...
3,542 Posts
ooohh pwetty

·
Help - I need a life!!!!
765 Posts
I like the concept, but those ali frame castings are too swoopy for me, I'm more inclined towards the cnc milled look of Bimota etc in those areas.

Maybe they would look better if they were painted black...

·
Low down dirty whore
2,332 Posts
YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Just going to say the same thing, very Ducati esque....I wonder if it is just another Europe only bike or if we will see it as well...
VERY Ducatiesque, as in blatant rip off.

·
Help - I need a life!!!!
765 Posts
I have to agree with you there midnight, the Italians have it hands down when it comes to style.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Personally i thinks looks more of a rip off of the Aprilia Shiver, but then I suppose that is another bike based on the Monster theme.

Personally i'd take a Triumph Speed Triple if I were in the market for a mid range naked although it will be worth seeing a back to back test with the new Street Triple R to see if it's worth the extra £500.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I actually look at is as very refreshing that Suzuki have bucked the Japanese trend and gone for some style for a change with a middle of the road bike.

Yes it is a rip of some nice Italian styling, but at the end of the day wasn't that the case with every bike that got fitted with under seat exhausts?

I don't think it can do any worse than the GSR600 when it comes to sales - which to be honest have been a complete flop, although being a lovely machine running a de-tuned GSXR600 K6/K7 engine, it isn't an R1/GSXR1K?CBR1KRR/ZX10R/Ducati 1098, therefore in the eyes of the British motorcycle press means the bike is utter shit!

1 - 20 of 175 Posts