SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just bought a 2003 sv1000s. Brought it home from Texas to Oregon in a uhaul. When I took it out for a ride once I got home, it started backfiring under gas tank, I'm assuming in air box or tbs. It has lost like half its power, and kind of surged and jersey on acceleration. It keeps doing this. I've narrowed it down to either bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, injectors, or an air leak somewhere causing it to run lean. Its in the shop now, but the guys said they may not want to get into the bike because it's an 03. The fuel pump is very loud whine, so I ordered on of those already assuming that's it. Anyone have loss of power with a loud occasion pop under gas tank? Something is definitely wrong it won't go over 70.

Bike has 40k miles. Yoshi pipes, k n filter. The pop is not in the exhaust its right under the tank. Thanks!

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,843 Posts
Welcome to our quaint little site!

Check to make sure the rubber boots around the TBs are well-sealed. Did you have a look at the air filter? If your bike was stored for awhile, mice love to make nests in them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
216 Posts
welcome on the SV board! tell us bit more about the bike if you know or what previous owner said...
i would also check gas tank , could be rusty + old gas in it , fuel pump whining - filter on bottom of pump clogged and pump struggles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi i know this is going to sound strange but something similar happened to my 2006 SV1000S the timing chain broke on the front cylinder and it was driving with half the power and also a popping backfire in the intake this is because the valves that was bend was always open and the combustion ignition was escaping into the intake. Maybe you can just check the easiest way is to start the bike up with the airbox off and hold your hand on the throttle body first the one then the next if the suction and pulses feels the same you are ok but if you feel the one is deferent you know there is a problem,I hope it helps

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,018 Posts
Definitely the whole intake checkover as suggested...leaks, crap....and also the fuel pump.
Get it out, clean the pickup and while the useless iternal filter is off the pump, fill it with
fuel cleaner and shake the crap out of it and then back flush it.....
There is an external filter mod that can be done too, but sort the runnign out first.

Sounds like the shop you took it too is a home for diesel fitters.....deeze'll fit this an deeze'll dat.... Mechanics will work on anything, money grubbers don't, find a better shop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts