SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Yeah, i did ages ago......

They look enormous...ha ha.... because of the ratio, they actually look bigger than a 190 on the bike.....
Firstly, they are taller, by about 6mm rolling radius....so i pushed my forks down 5mm to compensate.
Secondly, they tip a bit quicker, but i found, the further you go, the slower the lean in is, until the bike feels like you can just about take your hands
off the bars......there is a huge contact patch on the road, and i feels like its bolted down....
Overall, it was good, but, it took some "life" out of the bike...if you get what i mean....

Thats my experience anyway.....

Reactions: Marty Moose

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i did ages ago......

They look enormous...ha ha.... because of the ratio, they actually look bigger than a 190 on the bike.....
Firstly, they are taller, by about 6mm rolling radius....so i pushed my forks down 5mm to compensate.
Secondly, they tip a bit quicker, but i found, the further you go, the slower the lean in is, until the bike feels like you can just about take your hands
off the bars......there is a huge contact patch on the road, and i feels like its bolted down....
Overall, it was good, but, it took some "life" out of the bike...if you get what i mean....

Thats my experience anyway.....
Exactly what I was after I like the idea of a little more height in the rear as well. Thanks :) Now to work out what tyres I want I've not bought road tyres for some time. Thinking of going Pirelli rosso corsa 2 's or Michelin Pilot 5's although the later only come in a 55.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
I am running Corsa 2's....love them....
Got 9500 and 9000 out of 2 sets.....(second set had a poorly repaired puncture so it shortened the life)

Also, running higher pressure than Rosso 3's (was 35/38) now using 36/39, and surprisingly good at that....

As far as the 60 series, that profile does make the front tyre push a little harder, makes them flatten off 2/3rd way over..... Mind you i ride hills every day to work and back

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I fitted the 60 series and its part of the puzzle of the puzzle of putting a bit more weight on the front end. The Pirelli is also has more of a pointy profile compared the the very old and hard battle axe tyres that were on the bike, happy so far. Getting some fork springs next week will fit them and valve the forks, and have a look at the rear shock. The rear I can work with the front as it is has no words for how bad it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm told that my '05 SV had an '05 GSX-R1k rear shock installed before i bought it. And that it raised the rear end 1/2 inch.
I really don't know, as i have only ridden my SV. But if so, this may help w adjusting the f/r weight ratio.
The front forks were sourced from the same bike. The tops of the fork tubes are level w the top tripples. As per the info also found on this site, as the GSX-R 05's are a little shorter than stock SV's.
I'm no race rider, so the bike has no problems handling corners as fast as I feel comfortable going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm told that my '05 SV had an '05 GSX-R1k rear shock installed before i bought it. And that it raised the rear end 1/2 inch.
I really don't know, as i have only ridden my SV. But if so, this may help w adjusting the f/r weight ratio.
The front forks were sourced from the same bike. The tops of the fork tubes are level w the top tripples. As per the info also found on this site, as the GSX-R 05's are a little shorter than stock SV's.
I'm no race rider, so the bike has no problems handling corners as fast as I feel comfortable going.
I've seen this is a common mod not sure I'll go that route although a shock with a ride height adjuster maybe the go. Do the GSXR triples have the same offset as the SV ? I've looked at a few threads but not really done a good search.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The GSX-R1000 K5-K6 shock should be 325mm long just like the SV1000, so ride hight will be the same. However spring rate is just a tiny bit stiffer, but probably not something you would feel 8,0 vs 8,1 kg/mm.

Search for SV shock compatibility chart and you will find a nice overview made by the community.

Do the GSXR triples have the same offset as the SV ? I've looked at a few threads but not really done a good search.
It really depends on which GSX-R. Refer to Missing Link's fork matrix.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
The 04 model gixxer thou shock is roughly 3mm longer than stock SV......it raises the bike about 10mm directly above the axle.....which i found excellent......

Reactions: Marty Moose

·
Registered
20 Posts
180/60-17 tires are more difficult to find. IMO stay with the more std 55 aspect ratio, and make chassis mods to achieve what you want - more ground clearance, quicker steering, etc. A longer shock, different dogbones, raising forks will all change chassis attitude. My '03 1000s has a ninja 600r shock which raised the rear ~3/4". It's a stiff spring tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
180/60-17 tires are more difficult to find. IMO stay with the more std 55 aspect ratio, and make chassis mods to achieve what you want - more ground clearance, quicker steering, etc. A longer shock, different dogbones, raising forks will all change chassis attitude. My '03 1000s has a ninja 600r shock which raised the rear ~3/4". It's a stiff spring tho.
Already got the 60 series tyre easy to get here. Looking at a 03/04 GSXR shock or an after market one with a ride height adjuster. Have not really had to much time to play with it yet I have a set of fork springs ready to go...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts