SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my gas tank replaced under recall almost a year ago.

Today I got a notice that my bike is subject to a "safety recall" that hasn't been performed yet. The notice isn't specific as to what the recall is for.

It says that it is "Campaign # 2086.

Anyone know if this is a different recall than the one for the tank?

·
Registered
787 Posts
what year does the tank apply to and for what reason?

·
What's this space for?
1,945 Posts
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
SUZUKI / SV1000 2003

SUZUKI / SV1000S 2003-2006

SUZUKI / SV650 2003-2006

SUZUKI / SV650S 2003-2006

Manufacturer : AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V013000 Mfg's Report Date : JAN 11, 2006
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 4841
Summary:
ON CERTAIN CALIFORNIA-SPECIFICATION MODEL MOTORCYCLES, REPEATED STRESS FROM VIBRATION CAN CAUSE A CRACK TO FORM IN THE AREA WHERE THE LIQUID/VAPOR SEPARATOR BRACKET IS WELDED INSIDE THE FUEL TANK. THIS CAN ALLOW FUEL LEAKAGE TO OCCUR.
Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL TANK FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN FEBRUARY 2006. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT AMERICAN SUZUKI AT 714-572-1490.
Notes:
SUZUKI RECALL NO. 2086. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does anyone know if any Canadian models are affected?

·
What's this space for?
1,945 Posts
This should only be for E-33 models which is California. It has to do with an assembly welded to the filler neck inside the tank that takes the fuel vapors to the evaprative canister and then to the throttle bodies where the fumes are introduced back into the engine.

·
<Yep collar bone is broke
1,695 Posts
looks like its the same tank recal Randy.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like its the same tank recal Randy.
It does, thanks!

Damn! The tank on my SV1000 is in perfect condition. Why couldn't this mistake have been make for one of my other bikes; one of the ones with a dented or scratched tank? :disgust:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
A new recall?

The tank recall worked to my advantage, for a change. Soon after buying my new '03 naked model, I got a tiny dent in the tank. Probably no one noticed it but I. Well, I am a very fussy owner (prissy is more like it) and obsessed for several years about the dent. Then, Suzuki came to my rescue with a surprise recall of the tank! Sometimes it all works out for the best.

Ralph

·
Gone Surfing
1,229 Posts
Ralph, I see you are from Santa Rosa, CA. Did you have Jim & Jim's do the recall work ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought an '03 SV1000S with 4900 miles on the clock. Brought it in to the dealership for handlebar mod only to find out abut this recall.
I was told that it's an old bike and the part may not be available, or, at least, in the same color.
Has anybody had any issues like this?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just went and read over the thread, and the last reply was 2007.
There was so few effected bikes there would never have been a large number of replacement tanks available.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I got a new tank for mine back in 2011 and it took several months for it to show up. They don't have a bunch of NOS sitting around so if you order a new tank they need to build you a fresh one. It would be surprising if they'd still honor a recall from so many years ago...but they might and if your bike is included in the recall and hasn't been done it would absolutely be worth checking into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
The dealer said they have to honor the recall. (Couldn't guarantee it would be the same color tho)
So, they hold my hike hostage till the new tank arrives? Possibly a different color?
Oh boy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts