SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For ease I'll bullet point the problem and what has been done.
2003 SV1000. Not charging.
I have replaced the generator coil and the rectifier regulator. Replaced the wiring connectors as they were corroded. Cleaned the wires
Measurements taken. 100v at 4000 revs between the 3 phase wires. All rectifier values as per manual.
The really odd thing is the battery will charge directly from the regulator but not once the battery terminals are put on. (I used a second battery for the test so I could start the bike).
I've tried bypassing the wiring to the battery, but once the terminals are put on, the voltage drops off. There's definitely a charging current but the voltage drops away.
Does the ECU have any effect on the charging?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,760 Posts
What wiring connectors did you replace due to corrosion? And have you checked to make sure all your fuses and their connections are free of corrosion?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What wiring connectors did you replace due to corrosion? And have you checked to make sure all your fuses and their connections are free of corrosion?
I replaced both the connectors for the 3 phase (3 black wires) and the connector for the black/red and black/white wires. yes I've checked all the fuses and connections for corrosion. Like I said, the weird thing is it's only when the battery terminals are connected to the battery that it doesn't charge. So I know it can't be the regulator or the generator.
I've even bypassed the loom and wired directly to the battery, but if the terminals are connected, it doesn't get enough voltage.

The amperage is there, but the volts aren't.

·
Obsessed with SV1000s
8,760 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is to strip down the battery terminal wires all the way to where they attach to the loom and inspect them for damage.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Is there some kind of short to ground ?

Reactions: estevns

·
Registered
90 Posts
As Missing Link suggested it sounds like you are consuming more electrical power than the stator can output. Also goes hand in hand with your explanation that a secondary battery hooked directly to regulator rectifier output are charged properly, but the battery connected to the bike positive and negative terminals doesn't.

Somewhere in your loom there is a short, a faulty component, or some extra equipment like heated grips, navigation or whatever are sucking up too much power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Missing Link suggested it sounds like you are consuming more electrical power than the stator can output. Also goes hand in hand with your explanation that a secondary battery hooked directly to regulator rectifier output are charged properly, but the battery connected to the bike positive and negative terminals doesn't.

Somewhere in your loom there is a short, a faulty component, or some extra equipment like heated grips, navigation or whatever are sucking up too much power.
All electrical equipment is standard apart from the previous owner changing indicators to LED.
I think a short somewhere is the most likely culprit, especially as the wiring for the led lights is very amateurish, just twisted and wrapped in tape. Thanks for the suggestion

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,140 Posts
All electrical equipment is standard apart from the previous owner changing indicators to LED.
I think a short somewhere is the most likely culprit, especially as the wiring for the led lights is very amateurish, just twisted and wrapped in tape. Thanks for the suggestion
A bad regulator can do what you are saying also. Did you replace the regulator with a good quality unit?

I have thrown away several cheap ones people have installed that fail out of the box or shortly after installation. I won’t even install most of them if someone supplies them to me because I have seen so many issues.

-ms

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A bad regulator can do what you are saying also. Did you replace the regulator with a good quality unit?

I have thrown away several cheap ones people have installed that fail out of the box or shortly after installation. I won’t even install most of them if someone supplies them to me because I have seen so many issues.

-ms
I've tested the regulator I installed, it's working fine. Apart from that, it charges a battery that's not attached to the battery terminals

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Just as process of elimination..... disconnect the negative lead, then run a jumper lead from the battery neg terminal direct to the chassis.....if that corrects it, its the neg lead .....

(i had to think really hard about that, as i am electrically challenged)

Reactions: Leo the biker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts