SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hello....

New to the site, much hellos to all....

SV1000S with way too many miles on it is my current steed, well for the last 14 years it has been....160,000 miles and counting....

Going through a bit of a freshen up, and have posted a question in the tweaks section about suspension if anyone wants to look....

...and, after laying a few coats of acrylic pain ton it, i just found out that petrol/gas is not good for it....so .....much crying now....

Anyway.... will catch youse around...

Craig

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
I am very happy to see someone else with a huge amount of miles on their bike. I am about 125k miles. All by me except about 2k.

Keep riding it! I can’t wait to crack 200k.
-ms

Keep pushing it along...
I have done all the km's on it.... (257000kms...in Aus as per the flag, did the convert in the earlier post)

I also put the old bugger together out of the crate, only person who has ever worked on it....

Its been the trustiest steed i have ever had

Reactions: D.T.

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Damn, 257k Kilometers? That's a lot of $$ tires!

Around 75k miles on mine. :welcome:

I hear the speedo stops at 199,999. You must have hit that didn't you?
Nah, the speedo just keeps ticking along...... no probs

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Remarkable! Do you know, what is the engine condition? Have you done any engine overhaul over the time?

Replaced the cam chains twice, and the stator died once....
The clutch rattles like a dry Ducati clutch....but its original

And i have hammered this thing mercilessly since new....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hi everyone! I just picked up a 2007 SV1000S as a project with 42K miles. It's pretty rough, but I've made good progress in getting it to run well again. I used to own an '05 SV650S and I loved it to death, so I took the opportunity to get it's bigger brother. I'll be posting lots of questions soon enough because problems run rampant in this thing lol.
The power will be your biggest chnage from the 650, but, remember, the thou is heavier, and it wont feel as lithe and nimble initially....but eventually you will get it tweaked to your liking and then there wont be any difference in how it goes through the twistys...

Enjoy :scooter:

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Welcome mate....
If she's has been cuddled and tucked in at night, then she will be real good to you....
The bike on the other hand.... HA HA
Nah, these things are bullet proof really.... mine is still going strong and i have a few extra miles on it than yours....

Cant ride with you though...sorry....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hello-
ride height is about an Inch and a half lower rear, and 8mm drop on the front forks.-
Welcome to the site....yes, there is lots of info

But, i am curious about the ride height change...
It would seem to me that the bike would be inclined to
push wide into a corner becasue the front end rake has been artificially made much more shallow.
You have dropped the bike (in metric) 25 to 38mm and only 8mm at the front....???
so there is at best 18mm difference or at worst 30mm....

Been riding a real long while, and that sort of set-up would be a bit unsettling to me....
Hope it works out ok....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
I originally attempted to use the rear shock (preload?) to lower, and get closer to flat footed. -
As long as you can get the whole ball of your foot to the ground, then you will have reasonable stability....

The seat mod suggestion from tzk321 is a good one to help the situation.

Dropping the bike that much is seriously going to effect your corner clearances as well....as you get to know the bike better, you are going to push deeper through bends and things are going to touch down pretty easy....
Front tyre wear is going to be a bit weird too, you will probably find over time, that the wear will mainly confined to an area just to the sides of the middle, and will become quite flattened out in those areas. And, once that happens, tipping the bike over past that point will become very iffy especially in the wet....
Just some concerns i have, i do like to see people enjoy the best from their bikes, and to enjoy it till they die of old age.....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hi there.
06 SV1000 rider from South Africa
Have had my SV for three years now,
She has been standing for a year now, getting repaired after a mayor
bang up with a cager on a cell phone.
Have learned sooo much from this page.:beer:
:first:
Welcome

Good to hear you have got some good goss.....

Hope you have spent the down time applying a few of the mods and fixes....

Hope to hear you are back up and running sooner rather than later....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hello to you all!

I'm Stijn from Belgium, just bought my first SV1000s, coming from honda vfr800, this is a total different type of bike and riding fun. A little more playfull as the VFR I must say. Not so predictable, the sv1000s has a temprament :)
I will look into the forum as I need to repair or fix some bugs in my bike...

Regards from Antwerp, Belgium!
Welcome Stijn....

Keep your eyes open and have a good look around the site..... you will get heaps of info and advice for sure...

And dont be afraid to ask a question....apart from confused looks, you will get lots of answers... HA HA

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Yeah thats what my baby looked like originally..... painted it 2 years ago.....built mine out of the Suzuki crate brand new.....

Have you got a picture of this switch you were talking about ? Is it a tiny little push switch ? Might be a speedo healer reset switch ? If so, the gearing might have been changed from the standard 17/40 .....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
I'm pretty new, Bought this 2003 SV1000S, and have nonstop riding and or working on it, Painted it, have been doing all the maintenance fluids, clutch basket, etc, and most recently have run into a stripped drain pan, and that has been quite the amount of fun haha
Welcome mate... glad you are having fun with the old girl.....

I stripped my pan thread years ago.....no idea how, as i had always been careful with it...
I bought a spark plug thread repair kit, which has a tap in it to open the nole, and thread it to suit, slowly slowly job....
Then i shortned the insert enough to allow the oil to drain completely, thread locked it in, and away i went....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
...............lost first gear. and no one thinks its worth paying someone to do. So me being the mechanic that I am. I'm going to give it a shot. ( :(
Welcome mate....

Maybe start a thread in the Tweaking Tuning and Tricking forum and post up your gear issue there, there are a couple of serial engine dis-memberer's on here
who will add their wisdom....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Welcome....

Being a long time stalker...i mean lurker.... you will have read all the things that the SV benefits from.... enjoy...!!!

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
................I like the naked style a lot but the ergso is a little too relaxed for my taste, so I've swapped triple trees and clip ons from a S model, at the same time i got a S swingarm that i will fit this winter - was going to check bearings anyway.......................
The ergo's was what mainly put me off getting an N model too......

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hi, I'm new. Well, not "new" new; I've been lurking for a while. Just got my sv1k in september and looking forward to being part of the group.

I adore this bike.
Here i go.....rolling out the welcome wagon...... :welcome:

You have a bought a long time lover mate....... she will keep you warm and grinning stupidly..... :yes:

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Hi guys brand new here just bought a sv1000s from 2005 waiting delivery should be here the 2nd of April and I am very stocked but also kind of nervous for the power band as it is alot more potent than anything I have had before
Welcome there...... don't be nervous abou tthe bikes power...yeah, there is penty of torque, but it is very obedient, and only does exactly what you ask of it..... You will love it....

· Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
2,071 Posts
Welcome..... you will knock yourself out with all the info for sure....and there are lots of juicy mods to do to make the bike even better

1 - 20 of 32 Posts