SV Portal Forums banner
4221 - 4240 of 4281 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys

Apparently I'm a New Member again, although I've been a member here since 2015. I spent a lot of time over on The Other SV Site...but it doesn't have much activity these days.

So, as the moderators here won't let me post new threads, add a photo, or send any kind of PM... I guess I'm a Newbie. This site is like Fort bloody KNOX.

So... Hello!
2006 SV1000S, full factory fairing, Yosh cans, Werkes basket, DL hub, re-mapped ECU, Corbin, -1 tooth in front, kevlar lines, Wave rotors, Penske shock, Sonic springs, Gold Valve kit, CNC top clamp conversion, Adaptiv TPX radar, fender eliminator, yadda-yadda.

Other bike: 1998 Bandit GSF1200 with 150K miles, JE piston kit, headwork, Ohlins, etc etc. Runs like a Swiss watch.

27 bikes in the past, worked Wrench in three Zook dealerships.. 400K road miles, cross-country five times, 13 countries, Moto-journalist covered three MotoGP's from the pits... a dozen-odd trackdays... ehh.... yeah.
Still waiting for CYCLE magazine to renew my subscription.

Howdy

·
Registered
13 Posts
05 sv1000s

just picked up the bike 2 months ago and have already done some upgrades from stock. mostly looking on here to see what people have done, and why the hell is the clutch so damn loud???? ive read all about that nightmare and the green plug and tps sensor. hopefully i can get some tips and give some about this build. looking into the throttle tube swap but still not 100% on what to use, r6/1 year?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on your choice!

The clutch should NOT be "loud". If you are hearing noises coming from under that cover, then it needs inspection.

What you WILL discover about the SV1000 is the famous "Chudder", which is a sort of rattly-looseness.. Shudder and Chatter, lets say.. that the clutch likes to do, especially down at lower RPMs. Remember, this isn't a Harley; you cannot lug it down low and expect it to take a fat throttle hand.
The way to alleviate Chudder is to have your clutch basket reworked by Terry Werks (Werks Parts LLC).. and / or install a DL1000 inner clutch hub, which will eliminate your "slipper" clutch but make it all mych quieter and smoother.

ALSO- You should not need a different throttle tube to make the bike operate more smoothly, (unless you just want it to fuel/come-on faster, then that's another thing).
But it's important to make sure your TPS AND Synch are carefully adjusted. They are very common reasons for jerky fueling.

But if you're hearing NOISES from your clutch area...especially when not underway, then it needs inspection. You got a shop manual yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
saying hi

Name:
mic

Bike(s):
1984 Honda VT700C (faded maroon)
2003 Suzuki SV1000s (copper still....)
-m4 high titanium exhaust
-fender eliminated
-vortex controls (rear-sets/levers)
-chewy's pair removal
-de-snorkled
-power commander v w/dual contact quickshift
-soupy's adjustable rear links
-jb welded magnets

AS OF YESTERDAY I ALSO HAVE HARDWIRED MY CHARGING SYSTEM. Thankfully I have the nice rear-sets and sufficient frame and bar sliders, as I didn't remember to put the kickstand down while i was putting out the fire it caused under my seat, causing me to subsequently drop the bike. :(

This site is an invaluable resource, and to all of those people who have put their skills as mechanics to use for others, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
6 Posts
New member just joined a couple of weeks ago. I got a 2003 sv1000s, I think it's "burnt orange metallic" color? Anyway it has a switch up by the fairings that I'm not sure what it does. Going through the forums I think it may be a switch for the TRE mod. I guess I need to follow the wires and see where they go. Anyway will post pics soon.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Yeah thats what my baby looked like originally..... painted it 2 years ago.....built mine out of the Suzuki crate brand new.....

Have you got a picture of this switch you were talking about ? Is it a tiny little push switch ? Might be a speedo healer reset switch ? If so, the gearing might have been changed from the standard 17/40 .....

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to Portal but not SV1000

Hi everyone! I am based in Milwaukee, WI and I am on my second SV1000N. I love the style, narrow width, upright riding position and especially the power delivery. You can toss in reliability, too:)

My first was blue (still my favorite) with high mounted holeshots, power commander and TRE. My current one is stock in silver and I miss the added power. I will be adding a single side low mount racing exhaust, power commander, TRE, braided brake lines and rear shock for next riding season. Already added adjustable levers, triumph-style bar-end mirrors and a gel seat. I also have a SV1000S with holeshots and power commander, that has never been downed, which I will sell this summer - learned that I can’t ride clip-ons style due to my back.

I must be riding faster this season as I noticed the rear suspension is gets out of shape in some bumpy turns. I want to learn about rear shock upgrades and front fork spring/oil upgrades so I can make changes over the winter along with power upgrades.

My thanks to the site founder and the moderators for making this site available to us! I have been reading here since 2007. Looking forward to being here and sharing my love for this bike!

·
Registered
22 Posts
New and old member

I use to own an '06, sold it in'12 with 35k miles of Sunday morning rides and track miles.
I have owned numerous SV650 over the years and always missed the "thou".
For Xmas and my Bday the wife gave me a gift.
Picked one up this last Sunday in SF fro $3500. '07 with 15k miles in immaculate condition.
Already spent another $1k in stuff. Found TRS Yosh cans (separately on Ebay) for $300, ordered new Michelin PP2ct, Can angle spacers, Pair removal, Wheel graphics etc...
Glad to be back and to many more years of this great site.
Also can the moderators restore my old acct (i do not remember any info on it)
Should be VTWINPOWER
Much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
it is the chatter from the clutch just like the rest of them. i’ll probably do the dl swap. i want the quick throw throttle so i can hit full twist without adjusting my hand. i ride the track a couple times a month and love me some highway white knucking. but thats what the gsxr1000 is for

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ohoi!

New SV owner from Denmark here.

Managed to get my filthy mitts on a very clean 2008 1000n with only 28k km's on the clock a few weeks ago - I was originally looking for a 650, but the price on this one was hard to beat.

Really looking forward to reading along and seeing what people have done to their bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I'd always admired SV1k's but never ridden one, then last Sept my previous bike was dying and I needed a change, spotted a nice SV1000S, blue, on a '06 plate, in a dealer near my job, took a test ride on my lunch break with no gear and a borrowed lid! and got a reasonably good cash deal with a pair of new Pirelli Diablos thrown in.

All good so far, until I took my first "lockdown" spin a few weeks ago (I was going food shopping, I could walk there, but what was the fun in that??) and went over a speed bump a bit too vigorously and the right side fork seal let go in a big way.

Plenty of good info on here, just need to get my ass into gear ordering parts and get it done... did it 15 years ago on a Ninja900 (ZX900A/GPz900R/Top Gun bike!) but I've forgotten how I did it by now :)

Think it's a K4 as the VIN is below the range for the K5 supplementary manual. Very few changes between K3 and K4 I think? Edit: I found the model differences thread. Has the K4-on sidestand, but silver frame, so it must be a K4.

Mods so far : Givi rack and top box. Oxford front LED indicators (in parallel with the crap flush mounted aftermarket LEDs it came with). OEM pillion seat - came with an Ermax seat cowl but that would need to be cut to go around the rack - seat was cheap on eBay. Oxford heated grips. SW-Motech mini-DIN power socket.

Mods to come : Oxford rear LED indicators in parallel with the crap flush mounted LEDs it came with. Oxford LED number plate bolts. Loobman chain oiler - this was very cheap and if it turns out to be crap I'll just get something better. I bought all of these months ago, just not fitted yet!

I live in Dublin, Ireland

Eoin (that's the Irish spelling of Owen!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone, newbie here! I'm Ronald from TX, riding a 2006 SV100S. I have created an introduction topic already but couldn't be sure if I need to write here too. So here's what I'm riding!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi!
I'm Ola from Oslo, Norway.

My "everyday bike" is stuck in Italy where I usually keep it in winter so, getting desperate, I decided I had to get another bike. I found a well kept 2003 SV1000 S with only 29' kms on the clock.:search:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to say Hi

I just joined a few minutes ago and wish to say Hi to yall. I have a 1000s and absolutely love it. Not had any problems with it in the 2 years I have had it. Hoping to have a mutually beneficial experience with all my fellow bikers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello

Hi there,
Back on the road again after 12mths.
Joined back when I bought my first road bike (after growing up on trail/farm bikes), which was a 2003 SV1000.
Was blown way by the arm stretching acceleration.
Mostly used it for day trips around the local countryside.

After 12 months something possessed me to sell it and regretted it almost immediately.

Spent the last month or two looking at options, test rode a 2009 Multistrada 1000 - which was very nice.
Then a 2009 Tiger 1050 which was a bit tame.

Weighed up my options and kept going back to the SV1000, so last week finally found a 2006 SV1000s at the right price and Kms. Very tidy and well looked after.
I have the original Suzuki cans too.

:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
self

This is the absolute bestly informatively positively internetly sitely on the webly in my opinionly. And it supports my hobby. What could be better?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motor Roars

I'm pretty new, Bought this 2003 SV1000S, and have nonstop riding and or working on it, Painted it, have been doing all the maintenance fluids, clutch basket, etc, and most recently have run into a stripped drain pan, and that has been quite the amount of fun haha

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
I'm pretty new, Bought this 2003 SV1000S, and have nonstop riding and or working on it, Painted it, have been doing all the maintenance fluids, clutch basket, etc, and most recently have run into a stripped drain pan, and that has been quite the amount of fun haha
Welcome mate... glad you are having fun with the old girl.....

I stripped my pan thread years ago.....no idea how, as i had always been careful with it...
I bought a spark plug thread repair kit, which has a tap in it to open the nole, and thread it to suit, slowly slowly job....
Then i shortned the insert enough to allow the oil to drain completely, thread locked it in, and away i went....

4221 - 4240 of 4281 Posts