SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Im kinda new guy here, but have spying around the forum some time.
So, suzuki sv1000s happend to be my first bike ever, 2 years ago. Done 30k km with it, 60k at odo, and i just love the bike( can be cause i havn't driven other bikes 馃榿). And ofc, love to modify it as i see fit.

Long story short, broken magnet.
At first i noticed starting the bike wasnt so easy, like battery geting empty. Few days later, it couldnt start at all. I refused to think its magneto problem, just didnt want to belive it, tho i had read it many times in here. Changed even battery to hope the problem goes away, but no.. So the worst nightmare happend.
Opend my generator cover first time and it looked like this:

I know my bike is dirty, but its my everyday ride and i was angry at my bike that it didnt charge the battery.

Going to fix it soon tho, wanna ride already. Just bit lack of time at the moment. So, if enyone can offer me new magneto and stator, it would help alot.

Thats how it normally looks out:

Theres still alot to do on the bike

Registered
The new one costs $ 500. The glue costs $ 10. If you glue it, as advised here, it will be quite reliable.

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
Welcome to the site.....

I can see an upside to this..... Your stator has kept 5 of your magnets safe......

DONT throw them away, they are like gold...... IF you can source one more, you can repair your rotor for sure....
Look up the JB Weld rotor fix here on the site....if you dont go that way, there are always people willing to buy
good quality single magnets to fix their rotor.
If you choose to go new, then do the JB Weld fix before installing....
The reason this has happened, unless you have read it elsewhere, is that the magnets "shear" away because of
the irregular pulses generated by the firing order and the breakdown of the (laughingly named) glue tht holds them
on the rotor. The JB fill between the magnets stops them form being able to slide/shear........

Oh, you may want to buy an 05 up rotor too, they are a lot lighter, which makes the engine spin up quicker.....

Drop your oil and do everything you can to collect any muck out of the bottom of the case .....

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thnx for advice,
Ive looked around forum alot and saw alot magnets come loose. My first thought was that I need new rotor with magnets, but later i started to think that maby I need only JB weld and ONE new magnet. Thanks for confirming it.
Tho I probably need new stator. Broken magnet did some damage there. Or maby is there a way to fix it aswell?

Did some tests with multimeter before opening it up, coil resistance yellow to yellow all showed same number, but yellow to ground also showd some high numbers( as i understand, it shouldnt have had any numbers ).

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
I would think that you will ned a new stator.....rewinding it will not replace the pieces that are broken away on the towers.....which may come lose with vibrration over time and then become stuck to the magnets and cause even more damage......
Yes, if you can source a magnet you will be all good..... You just have to make sure of the direction of the poles. Of course, they have to North South North South as they are placed, buti am not certain as to if it matters what direction the magnets are placed in relation to rotation...if you know what i mean..... as in, does north head in the direction of travel, or south, becaue who knows which end is which anyway..?
I found that using pieces of 6mm round wooden rod are ideal spacers for positioning when adhering them magnets to the rotor, then pull the spacers out and fill the gaps 1/3rd of the depth.... all done.....

So, anybody on here got a spare magnet for our man Everyday Rider ?

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got new magneto, cost me 190鈧 with magnets already JB welded. After few hours of removing old one( didnt have any special tools) and cleaning it, I found few like cracks on the engine, should I be worried?

I put it back together with old stator, few hours more work and im gone test does everything work. Just cant wait to ride again...

Registered
Hey....while you're in there....I'd check the cam chain just to make sure it's tight on the gear. If you can pull it down showing play now is the time to change it/them rather than having a failure out on the road. I put fresh ones in at 15,000 when I had the heads off just so it was starting with new ones and kept the old ones for spares.

Registered
Welcome to the Broken Magnet Club, bud. Glad to see you've got it fixed back up.

Unrelated, but what headlights did you mod there? Looks like an R1.

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thnx for tips. My bike is running again tho it doesent charge correctly yet. I have to change stator still, ordered new one already. Driving feels much better without vibrations.

Welcome to the Broken Magnet Club, bud. Glad to see you've got it fixed back up.

Unrelated, but what headlights did you mod there? Looks like an R1.
Made em from original headlights. Painted that inside chrome to black, installed Chinese lenses with h1 xenons. Did some wiring and all done. Pretty cheap like 50鈧 total and I like that blue light at night .

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally have new stator installed now. Synched throttle bodys and it runs awsome again ;)
Tho, one question, if I measure voltage on the battery when engine runs about at 5k rpm, what numbers should I expect to see?

Offtopic, but my coolant vent thermoswitch seems to not work properly, seeng too much over 100degrees on the screen. Made easy fan on/off manual switch to fix that problem for now tho. But can someone recommend some other bikes thermoswitches that opens with bit less degrease? Or any other solution?

Registered
I finally have new stator installed now. Synched throttle bodys and it runs awsome again ;)
Tho, one question, if I measure voltage on the battery when engine runs about at 5k rpm, what numbers should I expect to see?

Offtopic, but my coolant vent thermoswitch seems to not work properly, seeng too much over 100degrees on the screen. Made easy fan on/off manual switch to fix that problem for now tho. But can someone recommend some other bikes thermoswitches that opens with bit less degrease? Or any other solution?
You might be able to find the official Suzuki number in the workshop manual, but my best guess would be 13.5-14 volts at the battery terminals at those rpms.

Try search the forum a little, I think I remember something about the TL ventilator switch will make it start at a lower temperature. However keep in mind the engine was designed to operate at a specific temperature range to get the best performance and avoid excessive wear. High 80's (Celsius) should the thermostat keep the normal operating temperature at. If you are in a standstill or slow traffic with too little air flow, the ventilator should kick on at 105 (Celsius).

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might be able to find the official Suzuki number in the workshop manual, but my best guess would be 13.5-14 volts at the battery terminals at those rpms.

Try search the forum a little, I think I remember something about the TL ventilator switch will make it start at a lower temperature. However keep in mind the engine was designed to operate at a specific temperature range to get the best performance and avoid excessive wear. High 80's (Celsius) should the thermostat keep the normal operating temperature at. If you are in a standstill or slow traffic with too little air flow, the ventilator should kick on at 105 (Celsius).
Okey, but how much temp is too high, if u know? My thermostat for vent acts bit weird, I mean ive seen my temp go over 120C and vent is just off. I understand if 100C is okay, but when should I be worried?
If someone knows I would appreciate it.

Registered
Okey, but how much temp is too high, if u know? My thermostat for vent acts bit weird, I mean ive seen my temp go over 120C and vent is just off. I understand if 100C is okay, but when should I be worried?
If someone knows I would appreciate it.
120C sure is too high for normal operation. I do not live in a warm climate (Denmark, max temperature during summer is normally 30C) but it hovers at 86-88C during normal riding. This is controlled by the thermostat. If I ride slow traffic it can rise to 105C, but then the fan turn on and brings it down to 100C. If you live in a warmer climate it might not be able to bring it back down, but the fan should keep running. I'm not sure when the red warning light in the speedo will turn on, but I would imagine it's about 120C. See the image I've attached it will show you how to test thermostat, thermo switch, and temperature sensor. Make sure all are within specs. It's scissored together from the 5th chapter in the workshop manual - Cooling and Lubrication system.

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
120C sure is too high for normal operation. I do not live in a warm climate (Denmark, max temperature during summer is normally 30C) but it hovers at 86-88C during normal riding. This is controlled by the thermostat. If I ride slow traffic it can rise to 105C, but then the fan turn on and brings it down to 100C. If you live in a warmer climate it might not be able to bring it back down, but the fan should keep running. I'm not sure when the red warning light in the speedo will turn on, but I would imagine it's about 120C. See the image I've attached it will show you how to test thermostat, thermo switch, and temperature sensor. Make sure all are within specs. It's scissored together from the 5th chapter in the workshop manual - Cooling and Lubrication system.

View attachment 117637
Thnx ,
Just to clarify, from what I should of started, but well, my radiator and fan are bit deformed. Previous owner must have had fallen.
In the end, im gone change it, just its not that important atm cause it works, just tryng to find simple fix and get to know how things work 馃槈

Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
The fan should kick in at 104c.....getting to 120 is pretty extreme.....
I would be looking at your thermostat operation as per estevns post instructions.

I ride in much much hotter conditions to you, and its only if i am stopped in heavy traffic that it ever gets above 100....normal is around 83c

Registered
If your radiator is bent it is possible the fan is interfering and unable to turn. You should be able to spin it freely by hand right there on your bench. I had to shim my fan away from my bent radiator with a couple of washers.

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my sv1000 goes to little break now, will sit on the garage for some time. Deer decided to end its life in front of my bike.

Registered
Suzuki sv1000s 2003
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will try to rebuild it at winter, the engine works good and wanna make it run again. Will probably change the front suspensions and front plastics (gone try to fit someother bike plastics). New radiator and clutch lever and hopefully will run again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts