SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know which are the best brake and clutch lines to buy? I'm after blue ones to match my sv1000. Goodridge or hel are at the same price. Any suggestions thanks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
all of the known brands are good

here in the US I'm not sure that HEL are a thing, they certainly aren't popular like they are in the UK, not sure why

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use goodridge SS lines all around brakes and clutch. They are quality kits. Make sure you buy the ones with SS banjo fittings.

Does anyone know which are the best brake and clutch lines to buy? I'm after blue ones to match my sv1000. Goodridge or hel are at the same price. Any suggestions thanks.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts
I use goodridge SS lines all around brakes and clutch. They are quality kits. Make sure you buy the ones with SS banjo fittings.

I have used lots of Goodridge also and Galfer kits. They are always top notch.

-ms

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Goodridge are the ones. Had them on my gxf600 with no problems. Just wanted other opinions, thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've run Galfer and Spiegler lines, they seem about the same. If you order from sportbiketrackgear.com they'll send you some brake fluid included

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Goodridge or HEL ....either or... no probs either way.....particularly in the UK....easy to source....

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Do stainless brake lines every need to be replaced? I have HEL lines that are about 15 years old. They seem fine. But even stainless brake lines contain a rubber hose that will degrade over time, right? What do you guys think?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
I had Goodridge ones on mine for 15 years, the sun eventually sucked the colour out of them, so i changed them to a brand from the UK on ebay, starts with W, but until i walk down to the bike i cant remember... ha ha

·
Registered
48 Posts
Using VENHILL lines, theyare decent, come in colors, have em for 4 yrs no prob
How much better are the steel brake lines as opposed to stock? I got a new master cylinder reservoir as the plastic looks like its about to give out. I have done fresh fluid recently but the stock lines are original from 2003. Braking is fine but not stellar & will be needing new front pads soon as well.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Braided lines give slightly better feel, to me anyway, as they dont expand and absorb some of the line pressure generated by the master cylinder.....and in a serious bum-puckering
episode, the braking force generated is likely to be a little higher...... imho

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeap, ss lines give you better braking power, which you lose a bit in stock lines, you can feel the difference.
but hey i used to owned zrx 's for ages and ran stock lines on em and it was fine even those bikes were heavy.
but you mentioned yours stock lines are still original from 03 that its time to do it

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeap, ss lines give you better braking power, which you lose a bit in stock lines, you can feel the difference.
but hey i used to owned zrx 's for ages and ran stock lines on em and it was fine even those bikes were heavy.
but you mentioned yours stock lines are still original from 03 that its time to do it
Yea have a new reservoir ready to go as the plastic is turning brown & can easily be scratched. Looking for a clutch reservoir too. Only 24k miles as I have other bikes but considering gas prices & a 56 mile round-trip commute I'm taking advantage of the 48 mpg.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Yeah, i swapped out my reservoir some time ago, went chalky ...... and as Urban said, after all these years, those OEM lines will be a bit second hand now.....

Reactions: Urbanjugle
1 - 17 of 17 Posts