SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Tokico calipers on my 06 gixxer front end are shite....only get 8000km out of brake pads, the standard pads for them are very thin in the pad department.....
Have spotted a set of perfect 04-06 R1 units.... does anyone know of they are a good swap?

Or CBR1000 ones i think ......wouldn't need to change the hoses then

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's probably difficult to find any real data for longevity of different brake setups.
Maybe you will be able to find some data for different pads, different compositions for different applications i guess. However pads which last longer might eat rotors faster instead?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The R1 / R6 ones have thicker pads standard..... by almost 2mm per pad....which gives them more life, and better hea absorption i would assume

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
204 Posts
sounds like good upgrade for front brakes! anyway im wonder if you also need to use different master cylinder from what you run ( 06 gixxer ) to work properly with these R1/R6 or CBR calipers?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like good upgrade for front brakes! anyway im wonder if you also need to use different master cylinder from what you run ( 06 gixxer ) to work properly with these R1/R6 or CBR calipers?
Yeah, possibly. I am probably needing new lines as well, as the take off points on the R1 calipers are on the side...... unless i can encourage the gixxer ones to work with careful re-routing

Reactions: Urbanjugle
1 - 8 of 8 Posts