SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
Happy Holidays everyone.
I used to ride a lot, then became serious, ...family, kids, -and now it urges me back on the road!
I was scanning the markets, and after a lot of thought and review, I really think that I want to buy sometimes soon a Suzuki SV 1000!
There are several available here in my region, mostly 2006 models and between 35k-60k Kilometers on the clock.
I want to ask, if there are any hidden mistakes to look out for, or are there tell-tale signs of abuse?
What is tolerable, and what should be avoided?
I heard already, that there used to be some issues with the clutch, if she was driven hard.. a lot of rattling noise..
Can that be fixed, or is it tell-tale to leave it out?
I thank you so much, and look forward to every bit of information!
Whatever will fail in the future, I might then get fixed with your help.. haha..

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi there! the mileage or kms matter and dont, depends how well or poor it was maintained, these engines can easily make 100K miles or 160K kms if properly taken care of. Look for any signs of abuse..leaky front forks, any engine oil leaks in clutch slave area, check if clutch is working properly, any coolant leaks , bent radiator, make sure bike has OEM color not repainted because it means bike was most likley crashed...etc, those are just visual things
the not visual things - common for all years lose rotor magnets, clutch basket rattle, green conector melting....
i would ask seller about all these things if cant answer these questions or dont know i would keep looking...
i proly forget some things and some our members from here gonna add more things to look for ...
anyway welcome on the board and keep us posted what you found and dont forget pics too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for a starter!
So I take it, the alternator tends to dissolve at some stage? Good to know!
Lose rotors and clutch basket will be heard I guess.
I am impressed with the reliability of the motor, since I intend to make longer cruises.
Of course I will participate here and send pics once I found her..

·
Registered
543 Posts
Two main issues with the SV
1) Design fault on clutch basket resulting in noise and vibration......easily fixed by 'sharealike' mod, just search for him on here
2) Magnets become detached in the rotor...again easily fixed with jb weldp expoy resin

Both issues discussed extensively on here.

Other than the above and the odd little issue here and there they are bullet proof
Handling is not upto to sports bike std due to budget suspension fitted by Suzuki...easily fixed with GSXR forks and and aftermarket shock for the rear

You wont be disappointed

Reactions: Urbanjugle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much.
Indeed I have heard about the clutch issue, and also about the magnets, -and burned green cables actually, -which I suppose might be a result from the magnets and voltage/resistance issues from that.
Detached magnets, -is it an inconvenience, or can it actually cause damage?

I do not intend to use her sportive, rather extended cruising off the highway, with occasional mountain passages and fun excursions.
I am also looking into tires for mileage, rather than sportive handling.
Happy Holidays to everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you very much.
Indeed I have heard about the clutch issue, and also about the magnets, -and burned green cables actually, -which I suppose might be a result from the magnets and voltage/resistance issues from that.

I do not intend to use her sportive, rather extended cruising off the highway, with occasional mountain passages and fun excursions.
the green connector issue is a matter of the lighting circuit pulling a higher load than the connecter can handle with a tad of corrosion on the contact. You can ether add cleaning/bielectric greasing of that terminal to your things to do at oil change time or jump that connection with a lower gauge wire. I have no personal experience with a magnet coming loose and banging around in there but it does not bring a pretty picture to my mind

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thank you very much.

The rotor magnet issue will result in smashed magnets and debris spread throughout the engine at worst case. This will result in charging system issues as it will cease to function and the battery will run flat

It is a task that needs doing before it needs doing

• Wow
Reactions: Lurxl

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Buy the bike, then take the rotor cover off straight away and check the magnets, if they have been JB Welded already it will be bvious, if not, make sure you JB them a.s.a.p.

The clutch issue is not a deal breaker, its about comfort, vibes and noise.....but wont fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy the bike, then take the rotor cover off straight away and check the magnets, if they have been JB Welded already it will be bvious, if not, make sure you JB them a.s.a.p.

The clutch issue is not a deal breaker, its about comfort, vibes and noise.....but wont fail.
Thank you a lot!
Yesterday was a beautiful day for a ride into the countryside.., so its time now to get going!🏍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts