SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
International dogsbody
1,819 Posts
Can you imagine riding that straight after an SV... my 600 feels gutless - imagine what that would feel like?

Surprised it makes peak power at 8,500rpm and not 14,000 or even higher.

Looks OK though.

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a single cylinder so 8500 is about max... 14000 would be amazing at its size.

·
Banned
881 Posts
didn't think there was a market for small bikes in the US.
Odd that over there one can sit a test and legally ride something like an R1 as a 1st bike. Most countries impose CC related restrictions to protect the novice rider. Glad I rose thru the ranks from 125 -> 250 -> 400 -> 600 -> 1000, believe it probably saved my life, as I was a mad cunt at 15 when I 1st got into bikes!

·
Registered
384 Posts
didn't think there was a market for small bikes in the US.
Odd that over there one can sit a test and legally ride something like an R1 as a 1st bike. Most countries impose CC related restrictions to protect the novice rider. Glad I rose thru the ranks from 125 -> 250 -> 400 -> 600 -> 1000, believe it probably saved my life, as I was a mad cunt at 15 when I 1st got into bikes!
This is the land of the free, baby! You want to kill yourself on your brand new shiny R1 as a first bike... after obtaining ONLY your permit... You are FREE to do that! Darwin at work....

As this guy clearly demonstrates.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxbHyEIkgdU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxbHyEIkgdU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Can you imagine riding that straight after an SV... my 600 feels gutless - imagine what that would feel like?
It's a different experience than riding a 1000cc bike. Not a bad one either. You miss the ability to accelerate away from a bad situation instantly. But on the other hand you can wring out a tiny bike mercilessly, and in many cases still not violate the speed limit!

A lightweight bike with only 25HP isn't exactly gutless. It can still keep well ahead of all the cages. You just have to get used to snicking down a couple of gears before you pass someone, and plan your moves a little bit further in advance.

A really lightweight bike is a hoot in the twisties, if you are lucky enough to live near mountains. (I, sadly, don't anymore.)

The Kawasaki Ninja 250 has sold like crazy here in the U.S. for years now. Last year Kawasaki introduced an all-new model and it sold out almost immediately. I'm sure that Honda couldn't ignore this.

Personally I would have much preferred that Honda bring back the VTR250 to the U.S. (A liquid cooled 90 degree V-twin.)
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_vtr250 03.htm
Now that would make a fun commuter bike!

·
Low down dirty whore
2,335 Posts
omg thats hiddeous!!! And ugly as hell too! I could ignore the fugly if it was at least an i4 so it could be thrashed around and abused, but it looks like honda made a simple "commuter" bike to try and cut into kawi's 250 ninja sales. they probably tried to made a real CBR 250, but couldn't do it in the price range of the kawi, and splitting the small U.S. 250 market down the middle w/kawi if they did make a real CBR 250rr would provide little; if any profit.

Oh, and:
1990 CBR250RR
249cc 4-stroke, 16-valve, inline-4
40+hp and capable of 20,000rpm
345 wet weight
.......... 21 years later and they drop this pile of dog crap on us?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.