SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 sv1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I was out riding my bike the other day after finally getting back on the road.
All of a sudden my fuel light comes on full and the bike starts cutting out.
Bike stops and it wont start, makes the magic clicking noise.
Mates comes to rescue me, check the battery and its at 10v.
give it a bit of a charge up manage to get it home and throw it on the charger.
So now it start and runs off the battery but seems to be no charging input to the battery.
I no the magnet can be a problem but can I diagnose this first?, could it be the reg/rec?
How would I go about diagnosing this any ideas?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
By no charging input, the battery is just running flat, or you are seeing no voltage on a meter ?
If as you say the magnets and stator are sweet, then the reg/rec is possibly next port of call. Check the connections from the reg to the loom, and then the loom (under left side seat) back to the stator
plug. (ridiculous amount of wire used in the loom) make sure these connectors aren't burnt... And while you are at it, check AC voltage from each of the stator wires...has to be minimim 70vac.

Also, if a battery is very dead inside, sometimes you wont see a charge rate, try hooking up another battery, bypassing yours altogether....then measure

·
Registered
2007 sv1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooooo....

I accidentally tested the stator output in DC to start with leading me to check the magnets. which were fine ( I will revisit these in the not to distant future as I may have a plan).

Turns out one of the clips on one of the plugs to the reg/rec had broken off and it was just a plug 🥴🤫

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
That sounds awesome....nice and simple, if not frustrating....

If you have been into the case and seen the magnets, i hope you JB'ed them..... they can go at any time, and the JB fix is by far the best solution so far. And cheap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts