SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the bike die this morning....... after some looking and head scratching....discovered that the
regulator plug is fried..... so...the wiring in the loom is the worst affected....
I am looking at cutting the loom open and grafting into it......then just using spade terminals with
heatshrink on them to connect to the (replacement) regulator, its obviously shit itself..... aftermarket crap

I still have the OEM reg, which was replaced before i realised the stator was sick.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The 'shunt' type RR's rely on a very low resistance path to ground to dump the unwanted power from the PMA. When the connections in the plug...in the uselessly long wiring (what were they thinking?) start to age the resistance slowly creeps up and with it goes the temperature until they finally give up by melting into a useless blob. I found mine a few years ago just beginning to melt so this is far from an uncommon failure. Thankfully it's easy to just connect in some heavy duty wire where the plug used to live...and perhaps shorten the wires as Mr. Schmidt suggested and you'll be good to go.:)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Wow. I'm going to check my plug today, clean the contacts and apply some dielectric grease.
A better idea might be to remove the plug and use Posi-locks

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it sorted.......spliced some fresh cable into the loom, added some spade connectors and plugged direct to the spare reg i had.... Bike must have been down on power bit by bit over time and
i didnt notice it..... much smoother and lights and dash much brighter....

Will do what was suggested elsewhere by Mr Schmidt.... shorten up the staor wires and connect direct to the reg without entering the loom, which by now is very old and probably resistant toflow....

I have my eyes on a very young loom 2nd hand .....might get that, on top of the rewire of the stator...whole bike might work much better then.....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Had the bike die this morning....... after some looking and head scratching....discovered that the
regulator plug is fried..... so...the wiring in the loom is the worst affected....
I am looking at cutting the loom open and grafting into it......then just using spade terminals with
heatshrink on them to connect to the (replacement) regulator, its obviously shit itself..... aftermarket crap

I still have the OEM reg, which was replaced before i realised the stator was sick.....
It doesn't look to me like the stock connector. Mine is black colored and it's still the oem regulator. I do lubricate the connector from time to time and still looks ok

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't look to me like the stock connector. Mine is black colored and it's still the oem regulator. I do lubricate the connector from time to time and still looks ok
It was an aftermarket reg (Forsetti brand) thats why the colour.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts