SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My bike, I believe, has the dreaded 'chudder' issues.
I have looked through various threads on the forum but have not been able to find the answer to a question that I have about 'chudder'.
I have read about the fixes for the 'problem' but have been unable to locate an answer to the question........Does 'chudder' have any short or long term detrimental affects to the bike???
Will something fall off, break, cause the motor to seize, or do unrepairable damage to the mechanicals if I don't do something to fix it.
I have seen that everyone just has to fix the problem at all costs, but is it necessary to do so??

Cheers,

Jason

·
easy rider
286 Posts
Feel what I believe is chudder at limited conditions on my bike.
A momentary transition. I ride around/thru bike's chudder.

Interested to hear what those who know advise.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Usually there are no consequences to the motor health due to the chudder. It goes worse after time and affects your driving pleasure meaning that for me i had to avoid low revs during corners or in city traffic and use the clutch below 3k rpms.Also, during time, the vibrations are noticeable in a higher rpm range. But i don't believe it can harm your motor unless the basket is about to blow! Which is not about to happen. I have spent a lot of money on my SV for extras and stuff and i can tell you that the sharealike clutch mod/repair was worth the money more than anything else! You can slow down the wear of the basket until you can do the mod by using the clutch more in low revs.

Sent from my 6043D using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
161 Posts
Chudder in itself won't leave you stranded or cause the engine to blow up. BUT, once chudder gets to a certain point there are vibrations that are very strong in the chudder zone ( 2500-4500 rpm ). While some choose to "ride around" that rpm range, those that do get the modified clutch baskets are very much surprised at how much smoother the bike is at ALL rpms. The worn baskets do cause vibrations other than the really bad chudder zone. Clutch baskets don't just break, they just keep getting worse. If you choose to ride with the worn basket, especially on SV's, they are prone to breaking the damper springs inside the basket and then start going downhill fast.

I have NO proof that the bad vibrations are a factor in the rotor magnets coming loose. I have talked with a LOT of customers doing my clutch basket upgrade and many of those find their magnets loose when they check them ( I often recommend checking them while the bike is down for the clutch basket swap ).

For those that do some work to your SV engine and are making more power, a modified clutch basket is able to take the extra load with no problems. They should last the life of the bike and feel like the day they were installed.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,113 Posts
Here is my experience and results.

I have had a rotor that lived all its life except a few thousand miles fail with a modified clutch basket and it failed within a few hundred miles of my first rotor failure.

I know this is single point data but I think I am one of the few who have had multiple failures with just over 112k miles on my bike.

My latest rotor has out lasted the others significantly now that the temperature at the stator area of the motor has been significantly reduced by installing a Compufire series regulator rectifier unit. Temps went way down which I think helps pro long the life of the epoxy by not making it so brittle.

I do know that heat will make the epoxy brittle fast. I have placed a rotor on a controlled temp hot plate at 240F I think it was. After some time about an hour I think, the rest of the magnets had lost adhesion and were loose.

It does make sense that a modified clutch basket might prolong life a bit but I am of the thought that it is not the root cause of failures.

As I ride this bike more I inspect the rotor now and again to see how it looks, the current unit still looks pretty good, but we will see how it goes!

-ms

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,113 Posts
MS, you make a good point. Vibrations are not helping the bike, but maybe are not hurting so much either. If I got a new to me SV or DL, I would do three things before I really rode it much. Modified clutch basket, JB Weld fix on the rotor magnets, and install a voltmeter!

I will add a fourth thing to your list

4. Build crazy motor

-ms

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the chudder. Kept riding and my engine blew out. Now I got this stickin out the bottom.

S

Look at the top left corner. Gear is stickin out. Get it replaced as soon as you can. Now I prob need a whole new engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts