SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,199 Posts
Hand built and machined by a skilled technician is far far far superior to mass produced. But if suzuki were to do that to all the defective failure prone parts of all their bikes, rotors, clutches, etc etc the bike would cost 100K. The cost of an item is directly dependent on the number of machined components. I would do a similar thing to the rotor as my preferred solution, by bolting on neodymium magnets to the wall but again, suzuki doing that would raised their cost by over $1000. Mass production and upgrade by user is usually far better for the user in terms of $$$ and you get what you want, someone might want a billet triple, someone else might want a billet case cover etc etc.
Anyway I've seen a few videos of people doing the clutch themselves, as well as what werks does, yea doable - but concluded I'll be sending it to WERKS. The rotor, no one does anything like what I have in mind, so that I'll attempt.
I converted my Main Street bike over to the 14 and up DL1000 rotor. The rotor was significantly lightened and rebalanced. It is not a direct bolt on unfortunately. I had a 14 and up DL crank sitting here with the larger snout, so I just swapped a new crank in for my project. You might be able to adapt it to the SV crank, but for me the crank swap was simple since since I had the engine torn down for a quick refresh after 140,000 miles.

-ms

·
Registered
269 Posts
Did you keep the SV hub ? Its like a bucket of old bones, rattles around like an old moll at a christening.....
Either the second gen DL slipper hub, which is better designed, or, like i did, i went first gen DL non-slipper....no moving parts inside it....and less weight
I am still running the BTL, but I am trying to locate the parts to switch to the 1gen DL clutch hub soon . However I believe the small chudder I am getting back seems to come from the sharealike basket.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I converted my Main Street bike over to the 14 and up DL1000 rotor. The rotor was significantly lightened and rebalanced. It is not a direct bolt on unfortunately. I had a 14 and up DL crank sitting here with the larger snout, so I just swapped a new crank in for my project. You might be able to adapt it to the SV crank, but for me the crank swap was simple since since I had the engine torn down for a quick refresh after 140,000 miles.

-ms
My bike basically is a mechanical 07, in an 03 frame and has 970 miles on the motor and no chudder, most likely I'll drag it in the house this winter and open up and send off the basket to WERKS. In that same time frame I'd likely do the rotor, and plan to leave the green connector be for now cos I'll be running LED's and a soft start in the headlight line. I'm not looking forward to doing major work like you did, I really doubt any real miles are going to be put on this guy, I barely ride anymore, I was a commuter and nowadays my profession has completely gone work from home. I dont think there's any turning back for the rest of my working life.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts