SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Several people have said how much nicer their bikes ride with new chain and sprockets, I bet yours will too.
God I hope so....I'm already tired of working on the darn thing...LOL. Just one little thing after the other. The chain links were so stiff I couldn't even pull it back around the new sprocket without links binding.:crazy:

Not to mention all the lbs of gunk and old lube behind the sprocket cover. I'm surprised the pushrod was even working with all that gunk back there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well guys that didn't fix the issue....and I think the clattering is coming from my clutch basket. Is it common to only occur in 1st gear at the top of the rpm range for 1st, just when you would normally shift to 2nd..?? This is really frustrating for someone who has no idea what it is....ugghhh.

Any ideas...??

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,138 Posts
Well guys that didn't fix the issue....and I think the clattering is coming from my clutch basket. Is it common to only occur in 1st gear at the top of the rpm range for 1st, just when you would normally shift to 2nd..?? This is really frustrating for someone who has no idea what it is....ugghhh.

Any ideas...??

Try this. As the motor starts to vibrate or clatter set a finger on the clutch lever and apply a bit of pressure to it. Not enough to make it slip but a bit. Most clutch basket issues are much quieter when this is done.

Your description does not quite fit the common description though.

Another thing that can cause a bunch of rattle is the primary gear but coming loose. Several have reported this issue.

By chance have checked to make sure your bike is charging? Long shot, but fast and easy to check.

-ms

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,138 Posts
One other long shot but easy to check is the gear position switch resistances. I recently had a bike that just didn't right.

After eliminating a whole bunch of stuff I checked the gear position switch resistances. They were all wonky. I pulled the unit out and cleaned the contacts and it ran a bunch better, especially in the first couple of gears.

-ms

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Try this. As the motor starts to vibrate or clatter set a finger on the clutch lever and apply a bit of pressure to it. Not enough to make it slip but a bit. Most clutch basket issues are much quieter when this is done.

Your description does not quite fit the common description though.

Another thing that can cause a bunch of rattle is the primary gear but coming loose. Several have reported this issue.

By chance have checked to make sure your bike is charging? Long shot, but fast and easy to check.

-ms
I just went and tried the clutch pressure thing and it didn't affect it. I don't think my issue is the typical clutch basket issue. I drove if for about 15 mins and noticed some things. I have no vibration AT ALL even when it is shuttering.

I'm starting to wonder if my clutch is just slipping and grabbing in and out causing the clanking/tinking/shuttering, feel. Every other gear is perfectly fine...Could it be doing this only in 1stf..??

I was wrong in my intial diagnosis when I started this thread. If I keep the throttle steady it will run just as smooth as butter, BUT if I start to throttle up just a smidge it will start the jumpiness/clanking but If I hold it at a steady RPM it runs smooth. It is the up/down changing of RPM's that cause the issue. It is slipping too I think, but seems to be not your typical clutch slip....:confused:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
sorry, bad wording.

when the bike is in 1st on stands how much should I be able to move tire back and forth...??
In 1st gear mine moves 5/8" measured at the chain and I guess you need to take into account the 18T front sprocket when doing this.

If you have a missing tooth (or two) on 1st gear I'd expect it to make noise and be jumping anytime they are loaded and it shouldn't be rpm dependent. If 1st is the only gear that shows this symptom...it's almost got to be inside the cases and due to the gears themselves. Considering that more than a single tooth is engaged at all times, it's possible that if you have shed that single tooth that the others sharing engagement might strip and jump under heavy load but permit smooth running at light throttle. Once you've tried to eliminate all other possibilities then whatever remains must be the culprit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Okay mine has about the same slack. I took the clutch cover off to check things out. I have a bad feeling it is a gear issue which I'm sure it is because that is the kind of luck I have.

I'm assuming a trashed gear is something that is not worth the repair cost compared to just buying an engine off ebay..??

Can I continue to just drive from 2nd for the time being until I save up for a newer engine...??

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,138 Posts
Okay mine has about the same slack. I took the clutch cover off to check things out. I have a bad feeling it is a gear issue which I'm sure it is because that is the kind of luck I have.

I'm assuming it it something that is not worth the repair cost.?? Or can I just drive it like it is from 2nd all the time...?? I'm not a fan of buying used engines.

If the clover is off, check primary gear. If you suspect a tooth is gone look into the oil sump and get a magnet in there below the baffle plate. See what you get out.

Another suggestion would be to pull the plugs out, put it in 1st gear and by hand, spin the wheel to get engine to spin and feel if something binds up or feel strange. Remember spinning the motor backwards will also spin the stater too so more resistance is expected.

Again if you are moving onto internal mechanicals, it would be worth pulling the gear change cover off and checking the arm, spring, and star to make sure it is actually fully going into 1st gear.

If you check absolutely everything and are convinced it is internal tranny problem cost is relative. Can you do the work yourself? First gear unfortunately requires the shaft to be replaced, if buying new it isn't cheap. If you are familiar with moto engines to be honest, SV1000 engine are pretty easy to work on.

-ms

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If the clover is off, check primary gear. If you suspect a tooth is gone look into the oil sump and get a magnet in there below the baffle plate. See what you get out.

Another suggestion would be to pull the plugs out, put it in 1st gear and by hand, spin the wheel to get engine to spin and feel if something binds up or feel strange. Remember spinning the motor backwards will also spin the stater too so more resistance is expected.

Again if you are moving onto internal mechanicals, it would be worth pulling the gear change cover off and checking the arm, spring, and star to make sure it is actually fully going into 1st gear.

If you check absolutely everything and are convinced it is internal tranny problem cost is relative. Can you do the work yourself? First gear unfortunately requires the shaft to be replaced, if buying new it isn't cheap. If you are familiar with moto engines to be honest, SV1000 engine are pretty easy to work on.

-ms
Okay I will pull the plugs out and see what that feels like. Seems like a logical next step.

ignore my pm.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,138 Posts
Where is the gear change cover..?? Is it behind the counter shaft sprocket..??

Left side of motor under the counter shaft sprocket cover. Look where the shift shaft goes into motor.
-ms

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What are the syptoms of a BTL that isn't working properly. Can't really find much about symptoms when they start to go bad. Just what it does.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Uploading a video to youtube of the wicked sound my bike is making. Hopefully the video will be uploaded by this time next year at the rate it is going.

woohoo.....100% uploaded

Good lord now it has to process.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wow, that does not sound good...

It sounds like you have something loose or broken somewhere.

Does the shifter jerk around a bit while in 1st gear. Like it tries to move up or down on its own?
-ms
Nope lever doesn't jerk...not that I've noticed anyways.

I also recorded a video from the left side but the sound is much more pronounced on the right so I didn't bother uploading it.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,138 Posts
Nope lever doesn't jerk...not that I've noticed anyways.

I also recorded a video from the left side but the sound is much more pronounced on the right so I didn't bother uploading it.

This does not sound like a clutch issue or missing teeth from a gear.

This sounds like the dogs jumping and engaging, jumping and engaging. The way these bike shift into 1st gear is the following.

The drive gear for 1st is machined into the shaft so it is always driving and spinning with the shaft. The 1st driven gear is free to spin on the shaft. When shifted into 1st gear, what I would refer to as the #3 shift fork moves the 5th driven on the shaft towards the 1st driven gear and engage via dogs. The 5th driven is splined to the shaft so now the first drive spins the first driven that is locked into the 5th driven which will now rotate shaft.

Before going further though I would check the gear change mechanism. I have a seen a few bikes in the past including SV650 and SV1000 not fully go into first or second gear when the detent arm spring has broken or the star has just come a bit loose and will jam up a bit during rotation. If it is not fully positioning into first it might be popping in and out because there is not enough dog engaging. If it has been doing this for a while though and is caused by something in the gear change mechanism it might have cause too much damage to the 2 gears anyway.

-ms

21 - 40 of 43 Posts