SV Portal Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Vendor
167 Posts
After talking with czombie yesterday we were kind of hoping it could be a clutch basket issue. I was thinking broken damper springs or cracked driven gear. But this video is something I have never heard about. If it is a transmission problem there should be some shavings in the oil. I wish I could be there to look it over........at least confirm the clutch assembly is not the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I posted this thread on svrider as well. I'm curious about this issue as it seems to be somewhat common...:confused:

Guys I need some opinions/help here. I've got an 03 sv1000s and I'm still learning about the bike (new rider in general). Only had it about a month and I've put maybe 150 miles on it since I've had it (been too cold obviously).....BUT the dang thing is super jerky in 1st gear to the point that it is causing chain backlash/jerk (I guess that is what it is called.)

It is smooth as can be in every gear BUT 1st when driving. If I start in first going super slow (almost to the point of it not staying up on it's own) and don't get the rpms to where they would be for when you shift into 2nd then it is fine....BUT once they get up to shifting RPM's the dang thing starts jerking like crazy to the point it jerks on the main sprocket. Almost like if you was trying to throttle up in a gear too high for your speed/rpms....BUT WORSE...LOL.

Also when I'm first shifting down into 1st or up into 2nd from NEUTRAL when STOPPED it shifts hard. When I shift down into 1st the bike will lunge just a bit (logic says worn or clutch needing adjustment), BUT not when I shift into second. Also if I shift down into 1st FIRST then straight up into 2nd it shifts smoothly into 2nd. From the neutral position when stopped is where it shifts hard from. Harder down into 1st than up to 2nd....Also when I shift up into 2nd from Neutral SLOWLY I can feel it bouncing off my foot very fast like it is trying to shift into 2nd but can't. I have to give it a quick but firm shift to get it into second when doing it this way. I obviously don't shift slow, but I tried this to feel it shifting and this is when I noticed it. Doesn't seem right to me.

When I'm driving it I have no shifting or clutch issues AT ALL...other than the first gear jerkiness. I have to start in 2nd, but when driving it is smooth as butter with no clutch chadder or slippage, jerkiness, NOTHING!!

Any help for a Newbie rider would be appreciated. I've read on how to do the TPS mod, BUT I need to learn how to adjust clutch and whatnot FIRST if that is an issue too. Or the ENTIRE issue...lol I really hope it isn't a bad gear/s issue..:eek:hmy:
Did you figure out this problem?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,506 Posts
Did you figure out this problem?
The OP of that hasn't been active here since 2016, so i dont think you will get a response on that one.....

But.....
Firstly, chain tension..... if the chain is too loose, any variableness in the engine revs is accentuated hugely, resulting in lots of slap.....thi sshold really still be at least partly apparent in second...but not as much...... If you have rear stand, throw it up on there and check the chain also for tight spots...... turn the wheel and watch the chain...if it is going up and down more than a few mm (1/16) then it may be time for some new drive hardware...... even then, check the tension on the chain when its tightest and look for 1/2"..... (i put mypillion pad on and trow my weight on the bike and check that
it has 1/4" still as it tightens with weight)
If its too tight, make it right.

Next is possibly the tune....
Throttle body balance is the first thing to do, then check the TPS setting, and the STPS.......

41 - 43 of 43 Posts