SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm going to be purchasing a 2003 SV1000 from a friend of mine who has been... OK at taking care of the bike. He's always taken it to a shop and simply asked them to take care of the standard maintenance stuff but he mentioned an issue with with the clutch lever or cable (his best description) that affects the bike's startup from a cold start. I don't know if that's 100% accurate but he describes needing to adjust the clutch cable in order to get the bike to start.

I've done some reading and scoured YouTube for this issue and most point to the clutch switch assembly. How likely is this part to fail? The shop apparently looked at it and couldn't find any problem. He does have aftermarket levers on it so I'm not sure if that's contributing to the issue.

Anything tips on first places to look?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
The clutch switch can get grotty... remove it, and there is, well on mine anyway, a small hole where you see the contacts move.... i put a sliver of 2000 grit paper in there and pull it out
while the contacts are closed and the turn it over and repeat....wash it with brake or contact clean and dry... see if that helps.
They dont fail easily, mine has never been replaced.....

Reactions: snakedoctor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch switch can get grotty... remove it, and there is, well on mine anyway, a small hole where you see the contacts move.... i put a sliver of 2000 grit paper in there and pull it out
while the contacts are closed and the turn it over and repeat....wash it with brake or contact clean and dry... see if that helps.
They dont fail easily, mine has never been replaced.....
Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Having said what i did, just check that the lever is releasing the switch ok..... some aftermarket levers can be wierd

Reactions: snakedoctor
1 - 4 of 4 Posts