SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traveling into work this morning the first thing a notice is the bike just feels different to ride. I'd release the clutch gently but the bike would lurch forward as if I'd dumped the clutch. Anyway pulled up at the first set of traffic lights and noticed that my clutch reservoir was completely empty. Got to work ok and managed to find some brake and clutch fluid to top it up with before my ride home. Just checked it again now and the level of fluid in the reservoir is dropping again. Done a search on the site and it seems its a common fault on 03's 1000's for the clutch slave cylinder seal to perish. I'm not going to get a chance to look at this fault properly until the weekend so I'm just going to continue to top the level up until then and in the mean time try and order the correct seals that i need. I would be grateful if someone could confirm that i have the right part numbers for the seals. The numbers i have are 23166-02F20 (#26) as i am assuming mine will not have this part and 23163-06B00 #24. Are these the correct part numbers? Also any advice about changing the seals would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Looks like you got the part numbers correct. Part #26 (23166-02F20) is the revised cover that prevents dirt from entering the slave cylinder and #24 (23163-06B00) is the rubber ring that keeps a firm seal and the brake fluid inside. Also if you want to lube it up correctly the manual calls for Brake Caliper Grease (99000-25100). I never had to actually rebuild my slave cylinder but I did install the revised cover. I wanted to completely disassemble the slave cylinder but it did not come apart easily. Luckily in my case the slave cylinder was not that dirty and got it completely clean by just compressing the piston all the way. You might have to use compressed air to get the piston out.

I suggest everybody with an 03 install the revised cover. It helps keep your clutch fluid cleaner and prevents dirt from entering the slave cylinder and eventually causing it to leak. Because of the design I bet eventually it will leak anyway but with the cover in place it should buy a lot of time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
This problem isn't just restricted to the 03's. My 04 is currently getting its second slave cylinder fitted under warranty. Does anyone know why Suzuki fitted the hydraulic clutch? (please tell me it wasn't to make it "maintenance free" :S)

·
It's 5:00 somewhere.....
1,614 Posts
I found some pics on the 650 site of a bike that had been converted from a cable to a hydraulic clutch. Strikes me as funny that we seem to want the cable version and they want the hydraulic one.

DE

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Ordered both seals today and they cost me £10.50 delivered. Dealers said they should get them on Friday and they will post them out to me straight away. I'm hoping I'll have them on Saturday so i can fit them.

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,218 Posts
Make sure you clean out the sprocket area while you have it apart and check it more often for chain lube buildup.

Cheers

·
Registered
363 Posts
Have dark fluid, but no leaks that I can see thankfully after 10,000 miles. Will be ordering the two seals and doing some preventive maintenance. Thanks for the links!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts