SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day. I recently bought an 07 SV1000s, but theres a few issues. One of them being that the bike shudders when pulling away in 1st gear. Also, it smells like its over fueling and sometimes dis when i pull away amd idling is a bit off. Any way to fix it quick without charging an arm and a leg?

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,948 Posts
Welcome to the site.
The SV1000 has a "back torque limiting" clutch, a stupid term for a slipper clutch.....has 2 roles, by using a ramp system in the centre hub, when power is applied, the ramps provide clamping pressure
to make sure the plates are biting nice and tight, and on the over-run, with the throttle wound off, the pressure drops and slip can occur to help prevent lock ups.
This also facilitates using lighter clutch springs. That hub assy could be a little ill..... depends on mileage....
The clutch basket in these is a "basket" case.....poorly engineered and creats what we call "chudder", mainly heard at idle, operating the clutch lever reveals the sound coming n and out...
It is also there through to about 2500-3000rpm, when centrifigual force smooths it out.
If both of these are bad enough, you may get some "hopping" in the clutch.... the plates may have also copped a pasting from poor clutch use prior to yourself.

The basket is fixable, look for WERKS Parts in the USA, Terry works wonders on the basket, and it tranforms the bike.... the hub is replacable by eithe rthe second generation DL slipper hub, which is better designed, or the 1st generation DL hub, whihc is non-slipper, lighter and has no rattling parts....heavier springs though.

But, initially, i would be looking at the clutch plates and see what they are like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts