SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what appears to be a coolant leak on the left side of the crankcase cover (see photo).

Question is. Is this just likely a gasket or is there a history of something more serious? I just notices the leak after I changed the coolant out a couple of weeks ago. But I did notice coolant missing from the old batch.

I don't seem to be missing much if any coolant. It must be too small a leak. Bike runs fine and it appears to only leak when the bike cools down.

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also,
You can see a little coolant on the ground underneath the bike. That is the extent of it.

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,256 Posts
Check the hose coming out of the water pump on the other side of the engine. If the seal is bad, it's coming out of there. It may be from the hoses between the V under the TB's. Hopefully not from the base gasket.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,157 Posts
When I have seen this exact thing before it has been coming from the thermostat housing that sits between the cylinders. A couple of the bikes it was just a loose hose at the housing or cylinder. One bike I fixed last year actually was leaking and the joint of the housing. I re surfaced the halves and put on a new rubber gasket that goes around the thermostat and all was good. The housing itself was not very flat from factory or it warped somehow

-ms

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the hoses and the other side where the water pump is. Nothing there. The puddle under the bike was from the belly fairing. Coolant had leaked somewhere on that side and collected in the fairing (just very little). When I felt around on the motor to try and find where it was coming from the only part that had coolant on it was the seam between the crankcase and the left side cover around the front area which would have made sense.

It is possible it is coming from higher up and then running down the engine so I will check under the tank in the area you all described. But I feel pretty certain is coming from the left side cover seal near the front.

If so, is this bad? Is would seam you would just remove the cover and replace the seal (gasket).

Thanks for all the help. This forum is great!

·
Registered
545 Posts
If it's on the left side of your bike, it's probably from the top radiator hose... the end that connects to the motor. If you look in between the frame near where your idle RPM adjusting screw is, you should see where that hose connects to the motor. Try tightening up the hose clamp that secures that pipe.

My bike was leaking a bit in that same spot last year, but only at night and only when it was really cold and I would get a bit of coolant in pretty much the same exact location that you did when I left the bike parked overnight with the kickstand down.... it only did it when it was very cold out though. When I tightened up that hose fitting, it went away completely.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you guys are good!

So I checked and the coolant does in fact appear to be coming from the area you all have said look.

It is a little cold out right now in the garage so I may wait til it warms up a bit later this week to try and fix.

Thanks again,

Barrett

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
As they say, coolant on the engine casings on the gear lever side will be loose hose connection above near the fan I'd say.

puddle on floor on other side is one of two things, overflow from resevoir, they will settle down once it finds it level or a worn seal in the water pump, a reasonably easy fix, search it on here, its been covered with pics.

just check every hose connection in the system and keep an eye on coolant level in the resevoir, mine settles around the low level mark. it only pisses out coolant when ridden hard or when it gets extra hot.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
keep an eye on coolant level in the resevoir, mine settles around the low level mark. it only pisses out coolant when ridden hard or when it gets extra hot.
Yeah, mine also leaked a small amount of coolant for a while when I overfilled it a bit after a coolant change/flush, and also when I took it to the track and it got hotter than usual.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do have coolant "overflow", doesn't it run out of the rubber line that exits on the bottom right side? It is possible coolant is also being forced out of the overflow tank. I did fill up both the radiator and the overflow tank. I figured better to be full and let it overflow than low and have it suck from the overflow tank which requires removing the seat to fill back up.

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
If you do have coolant "overflow", doesn't it run out of the rubber line that exits on the bottom right side? It is possible coolant is also being forced out of the overflow tank. I did fill up both the radiator and the overflow tank. I figured better to be full and let it overflow than low and have it suck from the overflow tank which requires removing the seat to fill back up.
It should only come out of the overflow tube coming from the resevoir, if it comes from the smaller tube off the coolant pump then the seals gone.

but the seal only fails slowly, like a few drops over night slowly getting worse into a little puddle etc over many miles, it won't leave you stranded.

·
Piss ant
344 Posts
I did fill up both the radiator and the overflow tank. I figured better to be full and let it overflow than low and have it suck from the overflow tank which requires removing the seat to fill back up.

When it comes to cooling systems any time I mess with em I always check out the manual an try to follow the directions pretty closely, as far as adding fluid and "burping" the system. I've had a heater core blow up as well as had lines burst from improper cooling system dealings. So I really don't take any chances.

And you say "which requires removing the seat" like it some kinda ultra inconvenient task.... Its 4 bolts, takes like 2 min to get off. I just think it funny. If your that lazy maybe you should think about gettin some of those quick release pin thinngys.

(off subject)
Somethin i would like to gripe about is the bolts on this bike suck. I'll damage a hex head being really careful. One thing I could recommend is buying a spare nuts an bolts kit off ebay from a complete bike tear down so that when you damage a bolt don't even think of putting it back on the bike.

·
Copper Crusader!!
3,108 Posts
Thermostat seal on my 1st SV went to shit and did the same thing twice..............

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spent the day yesterday running the bike and trying to figure out where the leak is coming from. I ran it for about an hour. Nothing.

But I did trace the watermarks on the engine back up to the area between the cylinders.

About taking the seat off and being too lazy to remove to check / refill the resevoir. You hit the nail on he head about the bolts. One of the cover bolts is cross threaded due to the previous owner. So I try not to go in and out of the underseat more than I have to. When I can I'll retap the hole in the frame and get new bolts.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So off to the local autoparts store. Ask how do I find a coolant leak. Guy shows me this neat little kit for about $25. Has a little 1 ounce bottle of UV dye and a little pin UV light.

You poor the dye in the radiator, go for a ride, and at dusk use the UV light to find the leak. Sounds easy enough. So in goes the little dye and off I go for a ride.

Come back and don't see any moister like before. Turn on my new UV light friend and don't see anything. So I try the light on some dye on my hand. WTF, nothing. Thing doesn't seem to work anyway.

Then I see the little warning "do not use in some kind of General Motors cooling systems". I thought oh shit. Have I just screwed up my coolant system?

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's it. I think I paid $16 at O'Riley's plus the cost of the dye.

Found out why it wasn't working...the UV bulb was not install correctly. After I installed it correctly it worked great. Still cannot find where the leak is coming from somewhere around the thermostat. All I see is a little droplet dye stain underneath the thermostat near, but not at the radiator hose connection.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thermostat seal on my 1st SV went to shit and did the same thing twice..............
Did you have to buy a new thermostat or do they sell the seal separate? I'm on bikebandit and it seems like the thermostat and seal are one part, for around $26. Sound right? (I'm having this exact problem although my coolant leak seems to be larger since it's been sitting for longer.)

·
Copper Crusader!!
3,108 Posts
Did you have to buy a new thermostat or do they sell the seal separate? I'm on bikebandit and it seems like the thermostat and seal are one part, for around $26. Sound right? (I'm having this exact problem although my coolant leak seems to be larger since it's been sitting for longer.)
Have to buy the whole assembly.............

1 - 20 of 35 Posts