SV Portal Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Have to buy the whole assembly.............
Figures. Good thing it's under $30. Going to pull the flywheel and see if I need to replace those magnets at the same time to save on shipping that $400 piece of junk.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Updating my post in this thread. My leak was indeed the thermostat. Installed the new one and cured the issue instantly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coolant Leak

I have a similar leak on my left side. I tightened up the hose on the Thermostat case. Looking closer, it looks like one of the ears on the thermostat case is broken off. It looks like there are supposed to be two screws (one on each side of the case) holding it in. My bike has been running on just one of the ears. It looks like I need to buy a new Thermostat case. Does anyone have a P/N, it's for a 2003 SV1000s model.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a similar leak on my left side. I tightened up the hose on the Thermostat case. Looking closer, it looks like one of the ears on the thermostat case is broken off. It looks like there are supposed to be two screws (one on each side of the case) holding it in. My bike has been running on just one of the ears. It looks like I need to buy a new Thermostat case. Does anyone have a P/N, it's for a 2003 SV1000s model.
See part 25
http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-suzuki-sv1000/o/m6704#sch500075

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coolant leak

Thanks, false alarm. I took a closer look, and it turns out there is a 3rd un-used hole on the body that the thermostat case attaches to. Due to limited access I didn't see the second bolt. Everything is all good, and I'm breathing a little better knowing that just tightening the hose did the trick.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I have seen this exact thing before it has been coming from the thermostat housing that sits between the cylinders. A couple of the bikes it was just a loose hose at the housing or cylinder. One bike I fixed last year actually was leaking and the joint of the housing. I re surfaced the halves and put on a new rubber gasket that goes around the thermostat and all was good. The housing itself was not very flat from factory or it warped somehow

-ms
Just got home to find these coolant leaking down the magnetor cover symptoms. I had a look and the connector hose to the cylinder was broken right off.

Still runs and starts, and as I only ran 5 miles maybe i didnt do too much damage???????

·
Registered
142 Posts
I spent 13 years in the cooling system industry. It is crucial to be ultra careful with alloy systems not to mix coolants. Some are compatible, but some may become corrosive as they mix. As little as half a cup of old coolant can destroy a cars system, and they run up to 10 litres.
When changing coolants, always flush the system with straight water to ensure it is super clean. Never mix brands or additives.
A pressure test kit is the way to go. Cold leaks can be hard to find, but show up quite readily if you can pressurise the system. Only needs 15psi. If you can get your bike to a radiator shop, cold, they will probably be nice enough to test the system for you.
Getting to the radiator cap on a faired Sv is another kettle of fish entirely!!!

·
I love my SV
5,783 Posts
Just got home to find these coolant leaking down the magnetor cover symptoms. I had a look and the connector hose to the cylinder was broken right off.

Still runs and starts, and as I only ran 5 miles maybe i didnt do too much damage???????
Bloody hell how did that happen... got any pics..?

·
55,500 miles and counting
19,824 Posts
it takes mine 2-3 miles to warm up anyway, so you'd only have gone 2-3 miles with the rad open, if coolant was still leaking out I guess it'd only just happened.

Chances are its fine. My rad hoses leaked last month, they'd started to come loose after 50,000 miles and 10 years use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here and found this. I thought i was leaking oil from the crank case so i replaced that gasket. Still leaked when it got hot. I finally narrowed it down to coolant leaking from the hose that went from the thermostat housing to the rear cylinder. It was dripping down onto the crank case and running down making it look it it was coming from the crankcase seal. Stupid me. Anyway, tightened the hose clamp and that was it. The bike had been sitting for a while and I picked it up at an auction for $300 (2000 SV650) and am just trying to flip it. I guess i wasted $20 on the gasket due to my ignorance but this forum helped me fix it on the cheap so thanks to all of you who post. I actually do like the bike though!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have noticed a little bit of coolant down the front of the engine & some dripping from the lower fairing. I'll hafta inspect some more, maybe just a clamp coming loose somewhere.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Have noticed a little bit of coolant down the front of the engine & some dripping from the lower fairing. I'll hafta inspect some more, maybe just a clamp coming loose somewhere.
Really only the radiator hose on that side, if its the very front of the motor its either a pin hole in the radiator squirting back, or at worst a head gasket, which i doubt very much...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok thanks, I'll check it out.
So I'm watching Finding Bigfoot & theyre in Australia looking for the Yowie. Gold Coast area night investigations, then they went to Kilcoy & Yowie Park.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,663 Posts
Ha ha....Yowies.....almost as big a thing as Bigfoot...... The last sighting was from a truck driver a few years ago....about 15k (10 mile) away from my place.....
Either he was using recreational drugs while driving, in which case he should be shot, or he was dring driving....same treatment....or, maybe, there is something there....
But if its real, there is a lot of pretty difficult terrain to hide in..... (personally, i call boooolsheeett)
Aboriginal people have it in their history under lots of different names.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its a good show, they are serious researchers but they have personalities & have fun with it. Sometimes you wonder if the calls they get back or wood knocks are staged. Or if other people are out looking too & its just people doing this stuff back & forth. Probably bunk but you never know.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts