SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got an M4 full exhaust for my 07 SV1k. I was installing it today and noticed that a small amount of stray oil I had found a long time ago is coming from a small crack in the left side of my transmission in behind the shift arm! My bike only has 1200 miles on it, and it has been there long before now since I found the oil leak back before I even had 500 miles. I'm still under warranty, that should cover it right? Probably a whole new motor? This is really upsetting!! :wallbash:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I bought it new last September; I'll get a picture tomorrow when there is light. I know it will be taken care of...it just sucks, because it will involve waiting lol.

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
I'll get a picture tomorrow when there is light. I know it will be taken care of...it just sucks, because it will involve waiting lol.
It's tomorrow, where are the pictures? What did the stealer say? F ers didn't warranty my cracked countershaft cover. If it's warrantied, it will be at least 2 months to fix it.

·
Knowledge is Horsepower
3,259 Posts
Sorry for the wait, here's a picture. I havn't talked to the dealer yet...
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it's leaking oil? Poor casting may have just left a ridge there, but I just looked at mine and it's nice and smooth. Lots of oil and lube in that area. Slave cylinder from the factory seems to leak, mine did right away, but the second time I replaced the seal, it's been fine for years. Reservoir level goes down when it leaks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure it's leaking oil? Poor casting may have just left a ridge there, but I just looked at mine and it's nice and smooth. Lots of oil and lube in that area. Slave cylinder from the factory seems to leak, mine did right away, but the second time I replaced the seal, it's been fine for years. Reservoir level goes down when it leaks.
I'd clean it off and check just to make sure. Looks to me like it might be run off from excessive chain lube since you can clearly see oil above the marked
'crack'. Oil doesn't typically run up. Just make sure before you take it to the dealer because if they don't find anything wrong they might try to charge you for the inspection time.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
More than 40 years ago I worked as a motorcycle mechanic at a dealership. I respect and admire motorcycle mechanics for the most part.

Having said that, I would not have the dealership replace the cases as a first response. I do not get a sense that the crack is in a stressed location and would rather see a simple external fix than have the dealership pull the engine apart and fit new crankcases. I just don't believe a dealership can assemble an engine with the same precision as the factory. Many other components would have to be taken apart as well, from electric connections to exhaust components. These are best left alone, if possible. Warranty work never brings out the best in mechanics, I believe.

If the crack was serious, you'd have more of an oil leak.

I would show the crack to the dealer, right away, and ask them to try the external fix using JB-Weld. If that doesn't hold oil, then the dealer would be bound to replace the cases as you reported the problem while under warranty. I'd ask the dealer for a written assurance that should the external fix EVER fail, they would replace the crankcases under warranty at no cost to you. Any hesitation to do this should result in an immediate demand by you that the dealer replace the cases under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts