SV Portal Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts on this idea please......

My bike has a lot of mileage, and the cush drive has over all that time copped a fair bit of abuse.

I have changed the rubbers a couple of times, and each time they wear out quicker.

When you look at the faces of the webs on the carrier and the wheel, you can see the pitting that has
been created by the combo of grime and the rubbers wearing at the faces. So, after 6 months the carrier just drops out of
the wheel, and obviously drive train lash increases, chain and sprocket life decreases as well.

My idea is this....to abrade the surfaces so that JB Weld can be smeared onto them, then smoothed and polished.
This is to provide a fresh surface without pitting and theoretically tightening up the connection by 10% give or take....

Or, is there a better product out there for that job ?

Reactions: Marty Moose

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My preferred method is to cut up an old inner tube. Takes up the extra space ( even on new hub cushions ) with no downside and very little effort. I put it behind and up each side.
Yeah, thats a good idea....the tube becomes sacrificial i spose ..... Pretty much a pushbike tube i asume, othersie it would be too thick ?

Anyone else got thoughts on the JB coating ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure how JB weld will hold up when subject to that kind of abrasive wear. I got no proff but would think you had to come back and do it over and over again.

I like Terry's method. For how long would that hold up? Change it when the tires are swapped or sooner?

No chance of sourcing a the sprocket carrier locally for a fair price? My bet would it's shared with other big Suzuki bikes from that era.

·
Vendor
171 Posts
Anyone else got thoughts on the JB coating ?
JB Weld ( 24 hour cure type ) is harder than aluminum. If you clean the carrier well so it sticks it will be permanent.

The inner tube fix lasts a long time. More than a set of tires. BUT...new cush rubbers are much softer than old ones so you should still replace them after some time. OK to use the inner tubes ( especially on the back side ) of new cush rubbers.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No chance of sourcing a the sprocket carrier locally for a fair price? My bet would it's shared with other big Suzuki bikes from that era.

The carrier and wheel "webs" are a bit "wavey" or ground out from age, and sourcing a decent second hand one without paying a motsa is hard.....
I think i will do a combo....JB to replace and smooth out the wear, effectively taking up some slack as well, and Terry's usage of tube......

When i get around to it, i will see of i can post some pics up of the before and after.

As an inquiry, apart from the SV wheels, what other wheel/carrier will slot straight in to the bike ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Would be nice with pictures.
Will definitely have a look at my crush drive and see how much slack there is - maybe it could be tightened up a little.

By looking at the parts fiche it looks like carrier was used on GSX-R 600,750, and 1000 from early 00's and on V-strom 650 and 1000 as well.
Rim was only used SV1000. But i believe some early 00's GSX-R 600/750 could be drop in replacement - and if i'm not wrong it could even be a little lighter than the SV rim.

Rear wheel sub assembly:

Rim:

Carrier:

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So did you sort this out ?
Nah mate.....got so much happening at the moment i haven't had time...... will post up some pics as i go when i do it......

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Several years ago I cut up shims from an antifreeze jug (any thick plastic container would work) and installed them on either side of each cushion block. The drive is still tight at least 20,000 miles of abuse later...so it doesn't seem to be continuing to loosen as a replacement of the cushion blocks would have.

·
Disturbed, very...
2003 SV1000S
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Several years ago I cut up shims from an antifreeze jug (any thick plastic container would work) and installed them on either side of each cushion block. The drive is still tight at least 20,000 miles of abuse later...so it doesn't seem to be continuing to loosen as a replacement of the cushion blocks would have.
May also be worth a try..... thanks Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts