SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fellas! Was looking for some info on Radiator covers and found this website: http://www.suzukisv1000.com/faq/radiator_guards.htm

I didnt find a thread on here that talked about so i thought I'd share it as im sure there are some new Sv1000 Owners with no Rad Cover. I had to replace the Rad. on my VTX1300 From a rock so i know how bad it sucks!

Heres a picture of the mod done on mine. I may have to repaint it and use some clear coat on it. But heck for 2 bucks for the Metal...Its worth it.

Attachments

·
Waiting to go for a boat ride
13,218 Posts
That's Andyw's old site and his old bike...

He's still here though.

Good job! Looks like the same guards as my gutters have... :innocent:

I have seen several people do that here too.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I tried making my own, but wasn't happy with the results, kinda floppy. I went with the Cox rad guard and am very happy with it. They are about $50.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The measurements that the site gives are Just slightly too long. It leaves a bow in the middle. I actaully grabbed the sides and bent them in a little and got rid of the floppyness. I had to big dings in the fins with only 1000 Miles on the bike and didnt want to spend a tone on a cover. This will at least keep the bigg rocks from making a direct hit. I need to pay off the LSL kit and then maybee ill get a real one lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I bought my bike, the previous owner made one himself and he said he got it from HOME DEPOT and just spayed it black and he said it was a very easy installation.

I like the extra potection....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fins are set back about a half inch from the edges of the Radiator. So making it tight across the front still keeps custom guard off the fins :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have just fitted some aluminium mesh pretty much the same way today... and was wondering if you have had any problems with the mesh chafing away at the radiator side tanks through vibration?

·
Registered
4 Posts
New to this board, but not new to SV's... Found the site from socalsvriders.org and been lurking a while since I got my 03 SV1000 a few months ago. Any who, here is my custom radiator guard, let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Double Dumb Ass
4,357 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey, he wanted opinions! I'm American and I think it looks tacky too but it's his bike and if he likes it........

·
Registered
4 Posts
haha, no worries at all guys. I did post for opinions, and opinions I got! It is interesting to see the differences in styling opinions here vs those in the US. Although in the US, especially california, the naked SV is pretty unpopular anyway, so most would think the guard doesnt make a bit of difference since its not a blinged out hayabusa.

In the future, thinking of powdercoating it black when I paint the wheels black as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't pay any attention to me or anyone else as far as that goes. If you like it, that's all that matters. I know what you mean though. Around here, if ain't a GSXR, people have never heard of it. I even had one idiot who thought my bike was a GSXR. I guess because it said Suzuki on the tank. What a genius.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I think that would look good painted black on a black framed bike, though I wonder about how restrictive it is.. It looks like it restricts airflow considerably.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts