SV Portal Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam new to this site but I got my SV S in 2011. I've put a lot of miles on her and just love to ride but I wanted to keep the basics while adding my own style. So I put some speedmetal HID lights on the only thing is that the lights don't always come on and I have to turn the bike off and on until it comes on, and then it may not be both lights. Is anyone familiar with putting on HID lights and how to trouble shoot this issue? Thanks and happy riding to all.

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
If you are having this issue I am going to assume you have a 2003 or a 2004 bike. 05 and up bike won't often have this issue because they have a headlight cut circuit when the starter is engaged. The earlier bikes see too much of a voltage droop to the power supplies when starting and they shut off on wont turn on until they reset after a power cycle.

Make sure all your connections are low resistance and you have a good fresh battery. Worse case I have wired in a later model switch and rewired the headlights through the cut circuit

-ms

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for responding, I do have a 2003. How can I make sure the connections are low resistance? And if I do need to install a cut circuit where can I get one from? How difficult was it Iam still a novice but willing to try. Thanks

·
KNEE DRAGGER
5,122 Posts
Thank you so much for responding, I do have a 2003. How can I make sure the connections are low resistance? And if I do need to install a cut circuit where can I get one from? How difficult was it Iam still a novice but willing to try. Thanks
Just measure the resistance with a good multimeter. Also check the voltage droop at the main power feed and at the high/low feed when cranking the motor over and see how low it drops

I have wired in right hand handlebar switches from 05 and up sv650s/1000s to use the cut circuit. They use a different connector, but you slide the pins out of both connectors of the switches. Use the plug from the 03-04 bike and match up wires and it snaps in just like the old switch. Now use the two extra wires from the 05 and up switch and wire them into the HID circuit to cut the circuit when starting

-ms

·
Registered
15 Posts
The quickest and easiest way to solve this problem is add a headlight on/off switch, turn off the headlights when you start the bike, switch on when running. Even with a Ballistic HD 12 cell battery, will not keep both going during cranking. If you would like any more details please let me know. Dual hi/low DDM Tuning 5000K HID.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts